Boost and 02 issues... - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Boost and 02 issues...

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster..
I have a 06 rl, comp package..
k&n intake
shorty headers
header back 3" exhaust
dual pass IM with option b and stage 2 heat exchanger
phenolic spacer
zzp tune

Ive never gotten over about 9.5 psi boost. possibly due to elevation? Im in Denver, CO so a mile high.. always jealous when I see 12psi all over the place..
should I be getting more normally?
anyway,
recently Ive been battling o2 codes 0133 and 1133 sas well as an occasional lean code 0171
I had bosch sensors which after researching I found out they arent too great in this car so I went and bought the acdelcos.
Still having the codes..
the o2 monitoring says its failing on rich to lean response times, max is 85ms and Im getting about 100...
also...
just recently my boost dropped down to a max of just over 5psi...
I replaced the solenoid but that didnt do anything. boost fuse is fine.
also before the boost dropped, at high boost not every time but most times my clutch would get very tight, and pressing it in one or two times it would get soft again. the only thing ive seen anywhere possibly related is people with an exploded master cyl.. hope that isnt coming...
I tried the boost bypass JUST FOR TESTING (settle down lol) and in the past it felt like faster boost spool but same boost levels but now its just same as with it not bypassed, about 2.5 psi to start and max of 5 near peak.
any ideas on possible causes or solutions for any of these 3 issues?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone420 View Post
Hi all, long time reader, first time poster..
I have a 06 rl, comp package..
k&n intake
shorty headers
header back 3" exhaust
dual pass IM with option b and stage 2 heat exchanger
phenolic spacer
zzp tune
How long ago was the spacer/intake install? Were new gaskets used, and were the 3 washers used to space the bottom intake bolt bracket out correctly?

Mileage on engine?

Quote:
I've never gotten over about 9.5 psi boost. possibly due to elevation? Im in Denver, CO so a mile high.. always jealous when I see 12psi all over the place..
should I be getting more normally?
I assume that you are using the ladder gauge as a measure of the boost?

9.5 isn't terribly off base. Keep in mind that boost is a measure of flow restriction. Boost doesn't make power, AIRFLOW makes power.

Quote:
recently Ive been battling o2 codes 0133 and 1133 sas well as an occasional lean code 0171
I had bosch sensors which after researching I found out they arent too great in this car so I went and bought the acdelcos.
Still having the codes..
the o2 monitoring says its failing on rich to lean response times, max is 85ms and Im getting about 100...
also...
Use quality Delco sensors, double check connections and wiring. Check for an exhaust leak upstream, such as a header leak, downpipe leak or flex pipe leak. Even a small one will cause an O2 to read lean.

Quote:
just recently my boost dropped down to a max of just over 5psi...
I replaced the solenoid but that didnt do anything. boost fuse is fine.
also before the boost dropped, at high boost not every time but most times my clutch would get very tight, and pressing it in one or two times it would get soft again. the only thing ive seen anywhere possibly related is people with an exploded master cyl.. hope that isnt coming...
Anything added or happen prior to the boost loss? How does the car feel? Noticeably slower?

Your clutch sounds like the slave cylinder is dead. Mine did the same thing, LNF slave fixed it.

Quote:
I tried the boost bypass JUST FOR TESTING (settle down lol) and in the past it felt like faster boost spool but same boost levels but now its just same as with it not bypassed, about 2.5 psi to start and max of 5 near peak.
any ideas on possible causes or solutions for any of these 3 issues?
Thanks
Boost doesn't "spool" on a supercharger. It either makes boost or it doesn't.

Check for the aforementioned intake or exhaust leaks, then check for a hurt motor, i.e. head gasket or broken piston.

Some actual logging with HPTuners would help diagnose the problem if you know someone with the program.

What fuel are you using? Do you beat the car like a rented mule?

2004 Saturn Ion Redline - S256ET | Ported Head
421whp/354wtq @ ~23psi on E30

2000 Z28 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
318/304 NA - 435/380 N2O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Gone but not forgotten.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 02:01 PM

Was sc oil ever replaced? I've heard too much oil can restrict the sc.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Redline View Post
How long ago was the spacer/intake install? Were new gaskets used, and were the 3 washers used to space the bottom intake bolt bracket out correctly?

Mileage on engine?
the dual pass, he, and spacer all went on last fall. new gaskets all around and it was pain but I did get all the spacers in the right places eventually.
The mileage is about 140k

Quote:

I assume that you are using the ladder gauge as a measure of the boost?

9.5 isn't terribly off base. Keep in mind that boost is a measure of flow restriction. Boost doesn't make power, AIRFLOW makes power.

Use quality Delco sensors, double check connections and wiring. Check for an exhaust leak upstream, such as a header leak, downpipe leak or flex pipe leak. Even a small one will cause an O2 to read lean.
ladder guage, torque, and dual interceptors which match readings.
I assumed my 9.5 ish was due to elevation and all the intake/exhaust being 3". I believe it was a bit over 10 before I did all that. I do realize with more flow your boost will be lower even with more power, makes sense once you think about it. just went around all the header and exhaust bolts the other day looking for leaks. a couple gaskets werent in the best shape and might be the culprit.. couldnt find any that size at the local.. so Ive ordered some online. hopefully that is it.

Quote:

Anything added or happen prior to the boost loss? How does the car feel? Noticeably slower?

Your clutch sounds like the slave cylinder is dead. Mine did the same thing, LNF slave fixed it.
I did just replace the spark plugs and change the coupler and oil (one 4 oz bottle after having it all apart and drained fully) in the sc maybe a week before it happened. thats about it. very noticeable in the fun dept. plus it feels sad. lol
not like running rough or anything, just half the car she used to be ya know?... sad.

LNF one better? or stock one not available?

Quote:

Boost doesn't "spool" on a supercharger. It either makes boost or it doesn't.

Check for the aforementioned intake or exhaust leaks, then check for a hurt motor, i.e. head gasket or broken piston.

Some actual logging with HPTuners would help diagnose the problem if you know someone with the program.

What fuel are you using? Do you beat the car like a rented mule?
yeah, I know but you knew what I meant right, like it makes it faster or builds up quicker in the past when I tried the "mod"
Im going to do a compression test possibly this weekend or next week as I might go camping.
I dont know anyone but I'm saving up to get it. do I have to get pro for the data logging? it says "external" data logging is pro, but not sure exactly what that means and if I need it to log.
Im going to borrow a fancy snap on diag thingy next week, not sure if it can log but Im going to try it out.
I use 91, and not like a rented mule, maybe a mule you actually own so you feel a little worse about beating it? lol

Last edited by tbone420; 06-15-2017 at 09:48 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLINE1313 View Post
Was sc oil ever replaced? I've heard too much oil can restrict the sc.
If anything Im a little worried I used too little. so unsure about the amount and whether the listed amounts are for siphon method or when you open it and drain it fully.
thats why I put in 4 oz. just a little extra to be safe if its 3.4 either way? although if Im supposed to do 6 oz with a full drain and rebuild then I am 2 oz short
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:56 PM

Garage
4oz is too little. The 2 times I changed my oil, I put the M62 ribs up on a flat, level surface ( my workbench ) and put oil in until it *just* started running out.

Check torque on each and every intake/exhaust bolt to make sure everything is sealed, including the supercharger bolts.

LNF slave cylinder is an upgrade.

What plugs and gaps? I recommend the NGK 4644 gapped at 0.033 for a M62 on stock LSJ coils.

Any HPTuners setup can log, and logging is free, no credits required. Flashing or altering a tune, however requires 2 credits.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

thanks for your help. Ill go over everything again when I get back next week with new gaskets.
I have another 4 oz bottle so I guess Ill pull it again and fill er up. by ribs you mean the top bumps? so you had it upside down? I assumed setting the plate that lays on the gasket to be where youd lay it when filling, but I have no clue.. I was suspicious of the fill it till it runs out with the suction method b/c every car has different mounting angle of the s/c so the amount would vary if you did it without pulling it which alot of people do.
Ill have to pick up a lnf cyulinder too, thanks for the tip always love upgrades.
4644 at .035
cool I was saving up for pro since I wanted logging so I will be able to get it sooner that way.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:04 AM

I cant remember where but when i was deciding on what exhaust to get i think i read that 3 in is more for a tvs set up and may cause loss of power even with a very small pulley. I would not take my word on it, but it might be something you want to look up, i lurk the cobolt ss forums a lot i think it was posted there.
if time and money allows try a smaller exhaust maybe?
idk if you had a tune but our cars only push 12 psi boost with out one i'm fairly sure* edit *i see zzp tuned your car already
Rebel can probably confirm

Also welcome

Last edited by 7thmoosefromtheleft; 06-18-2017 at 01:07 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Any HPTuners setup can log, and logging is free, no credits required. Flashing or altering a tune, however requires 2 credits.
sorry to thread jack but is that per tune or per vin?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thmoosefromtheleft View Post
sorry to thread jack but is that per tune or per vin?
The way HPTuners works is that you have to license an individual VIN. Once you have licensed it, you can flash to your heart's content. A P12 license is 2 GM credits.

I've lost track of how many times I've flashed my PCM. In fact, before I drive the car again, I'm going to flash a small change I made to the spark tables to make the turbo spool a bit quicker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.