stock boost - Page 4 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > ION Redline Forums > Tuning & Electronics

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #31 (permalink)
ARM
That guy is awesome ^^^

WTF. Is that exactly

2006 Black Onyx Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
::slams head into desk::

you can make the ve look like a pair of tits and it will NOT change the way the car runs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droxity
Bacon is made from smoked pork belly. Any and all other "bacons" are charlatans and an insult to pigs everywhere.

It would be like putting a Redline badge on a Honda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRedline
LSD is good.
ARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #32 (permalink)
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"

Chevy Sonic RT or something like that. I will figure out how to get you on the pre order list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnbracing View Post
broken shit Is par for mcclure
GMRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #33 (permalink)
ARM
That guy is awesome ^^^

Thanks. Much abliged.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #34 (permalink)

Finally dug into the tune a bit on the car. I started with the PE table.... gawd it was a mess, not at all a smooth curve like the 07 one GMRedline posted a pic of. I also have some personal opinions on the COT tables. With N/A cars that don't have nearly the enrichment we have...the COT table is much more important. The driving style is also influential to this as well I believe. GM had to ensure that if Joe Shmoe decided to bury his foot for 5 minutes on a long highway pull the cat wasn't going to melt down.... but I don't drive like that. Maybe a squirt or two up to 100-110mph is good for me. That being said, with PE set and the COT adder lowered slightly, I moved the limiter for now to 6700 to log some more. A few tweaks to PE delay and other PE enable settings were in order. When logging, the commanded AFR (and delivered) are 10.8AFR at the top instead of 10.4 as it was stock. At 6700rpm and 191-192kpa MAP I saw 106% duty cycle on the stock injectors. Debating if its worth taking the commanded to 11.0 (including PE and COT adder) to see if we can get to 67-6800rpm at 100% Duty cycle. I know ideally we want to avoid hitting 100%, and I will be installing my injectors in the spring, but I just wanted to see what can be done on the stock car without any bolt-on mods. Call me crazy. Thoughts?

Last edited by Papa C 2000; 11-11-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Papa C 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #35 (permalink)
ARM
That guy is awesome ^^^

10.8 is still very rich. On a stock car you can easily run high 11's if not 12.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #36 (permalink)

they say to not go above 90% (right?) duty cycle on inj.
slitterell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:28 AM   #37 (permalink)

Yeah, ideally with any component in an EFI system, its best to have some headroom. In my experience, on any boosted cars I have tuned, there has been marginal if any gain from about 11.5AFR up to 12AFR. Depending on boost level, static compression and how good the fuel is you use....I guess that determines how agressive you get. I realized 10.8 and even 11.0 was pretty damn rich, but I am creeping up on this to be safe. Also good to get feedback from the community to see what has been tried and tested on this little LSJ. I love it so far! I'll log some more today with a bit less commanded fuel to see what we can squeeze out.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:33 AM   #38 (permalink)
ARM
That guy is awesome ^^^

I like the approach that you're taking very much. It's refreshing to see someone not just dive into it and then beg for help when it doesn't work...
Old 11-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #39 (permalink)

Thanks armclure. I always tread lightly when doing this sort of thing. My motto has become "leave some on the table so theres none on the floor". I take this approach on everyones car I tune...and on mine since I don't wanna replace or be fixing it. Today I did some more logging with total PE at 1.31 ( PE plus COT). Theres not alot of COT being added, but I didn't want to remove it altogether. Now the inj DC hits 100% at 6500RPM. Keep in mind the boost solenoid is 100% all the way up now. I think this is pretty good. I am sure that its not too often people bother to invest in a tune when the car is stock like mine, so I am experimenting with it. At this point I will be putting it back on the dyno this week to verify things before going ANY further. Although its bad practice and I know it, I have made these subtle changes with logging only ATM without the wideband since firstly it met commanded on the dyno and secondly if its off a bit the conservative AFR I've stopped at leaves room for error. FWIW the O2 senor voltage as useless as it might seem never dropped all the way to 6800 so I think we're fine. Proof will be coming soon.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #40 (permalink)
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa C 2000 View Post
In my experience, on any boosted cars I have tuned, there has been marginal if any gain from about 11.5AFR up to 12AFR.
Exactly. I think the suggestions was intended to help you lower the IDC a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa C 2000 View Post
Thanks armclure. I always tread lightly when doing this sort of thing. My motto has become "leave some on the table so theres none on the floor".
Yes. Yes. Yes.

11.2 will work but you will experience a faster carbon build up on your spark plugs and rear bumper. Plugs are cheap so its really not that big of a deal. If you can lean it out to 11.7-11.8 you won't have to worry about cleaning your bumper after a couple of pulls.
GMRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement