How good is ZZP E85 tune - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How good is ZZP E85 tune

Hi guys and gals,
Like the title states, I'm curious what people who bought the canned tune from ZZP think of them. I'm looking to go E85, but I don't have access to HPT. I really don't want to invest in it if I don't have to. From the looks of it, everything I want to accomplish can be done at once with the ZZP tune. I've heard some good and some bad, but most of those threads are years old. Have they gotten better in past couple years, or is it the same tune from 2011? Can the tune be used as a final tune, or does it have to be touched up later one? I heard some things about cold weather starts being hard.

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:50 PM

a canned tune is never going to run as good as you want but it will get you by.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigredRaceing View Post
a canned tune is never going to run as good as you want but it will get you by.
This.

Look at any canned tune as a starting point. It's going to be ultra safe, and will never be as good as tuning the car in person.

ZZP's tune ran in my car good for years, and then I started tuning it and it got a good bit better, maybe not a lot of horsepower gained, but in everyday drivability.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:56 AM

Garage
Also, accurate injector data makes a big difference.

My ID1000's are spot on on pump 93, and idle/drive like butter.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Redline View Post
Also, accurate injector data makes a big difference.

My ID1000's are spot on on pump 93, and idle/drive like butter.
Do you mean telling ZZP what injectors you have, or is there something else I have to do with the injectors?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 03:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkle View Post
Do you mean telling ZZP what injectors you have, or is there something else I have to do with the injectors?
Learning to tune yourself, and having absolutely correct injector data.

I have yet to see what I consider to be accurate data on 80's, which is why I went with the ID1000's.

You could do the work and *build* accurate data for any injector, but that's hours and hours of effort. I paid the extra for injectors with accurate info, and saved money elsewhere.

It's nice to know I have enough fuel for anything I can currently throw at the car. Just last Sunday, I dynoed a new pump 93 baseline ( and picked up 4lbs of torque, albeit on a different dyno ) Sometime over the summer, I'm gonna get the car tuned for E85, then hit the rollers again and see if I can crack 300.

When it comes to cars, you can either pay someone else for their knowledge and hope it works, or put in the wrench time yourself.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I try to wrench everything myself. I would love to tune it myself, but the cost of HPT makes it hard to justify. If I were going to do a bunch of other mods I would look at it harder, but spending $500 for maybe three months of use seems steep. My end goal for the car is nothing crazy, E85, a pulley drop, and some cooling mods. All of that seems to be doable in one fell swoop with the ZZP tune, providing its good. The rep from ZZP emailed me some info about using E85 year round. Apparently it doesn't take well to cold climates.

What does one have to do to get accurate injector data? It makes me think the 80# I have might not flow 80? Sorry for the ignorance, I'm used to Nissan flow rates expressed in cc. We never talked more about getting other data than the flow rate at a given PSI. It was accepted that what the factory values were was truth.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 11:32 PM

Garage
If you ever have to swap back to 93, what are you going to do? What about the different blends of E85? It's not the same year round. Trust me, you'll get more than 3 mos of use out of HPT.

Getting that last little bit of tuning right becomes an obsession...

As far as injector values go, you'd have to do lots of testing or pay to have injectors flowed.

I believe that the values floating out there for 80's with our cars are "good enough", but I didn't want to settle and fiddle with fueling.

I paid for my ID1000's and used the data that AR McClure was kind enough to get and share with us.

You do have to scale your tune, but my fueling responds *EXACTLY* like it's supposed to.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I guess id have to pay to get the ecu retuned for 93. I would love to get hpt, i just cant afford it for another year and im inpatient like that. Thanks for the info on the injectors. Interesting stuff

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

2005 IRL mostly stock for now
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkle View Post
I guess id have to pay to get the ecu retuned for 93. I would love to get hpt, i just cant afford it for another year and im inpatient like that. Thanks for the info on the injectors. Interesting stuff

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
I just paid the 300$ for the tune and core on e85, and then sent my original in and had a 93 put on. I have 2 comps I can swap for the temp change. I actually ran my e85 all winter this year and it ran fine. Started alittle rough but was fine after it warmed up here in MN. Their tunes are fine for basic needs but can always be better if tweaked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.