Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

going to do my headlights

3K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  burnrubr88 
#1 ·
im plannin on spray tinting my headlights and corner lights to match the tails for the whole smoked look. this may be a re-post but i didnt find anything on it.
anyways, my question is, do i do this the same way that we spray our tail lights?

#3 ·
and yes u would do these like ur tails but i would highly recomend u painting the insides that way u get the look and still get the birghtness of the stock headlights...im sorry if this is bad spelling im highly intoxicated writting this lol

#4 · (Edited)
woah woah woah back the truck up here...do not tint your headlight covers/llense...that is just plain unsafe...tails and side markers definately a great idea...grab some nite shades, some high grit count sand paper some water, some clear and go to town...

as for the headlights, pull them out, put in over at 250* for 10 minutes, take them out, and pry the lense off the unit, may ahve to put back in oven to soften the glue....then take the lense apart..there are two peices...one peice (which 95% of the people just spray and call it a day), then the second peice which has the actual headlight reflector...I taped the actual parabolic reflector on the headlight and sprayed the top/bottom and sides....makes for an even darker look. This was not my idea, someone had posted it up several times before.

#6 ·
Honestly, I've seen the headlights done in a slight tint with niteshades- it actually looks pretty sweet and you can barely tell when they're on. How is doing that, really any different or more unsafe than doing your tails so dark people behind you claim you don't have lights on? (been there, done that with a previous saturn)-

In reality, any modification to front or rear facing lights is not as safe as no mod at all... just use good judgement. Realize, layering on a tint on any of those lights is going to reduce the light output- plain and simple. Take it easy on the headlights, or spend the money on laminx so you can see if the visibility if an issue and if it's really for you- better option than spraying IMO.

#10 ·
well i know about painting the housing
i just wanted my headlights to match the tails, and as far as the brightness im not too worried because ive got some pretty bright hid's lol
but im plannin on doin this tomorrow when im off so il keep you guys posted

#11 ·
ive seen a lot of ppl's cars with tinted headlights and they shine thru fine as long as u dont completely black them out i think ull be straight

#14 ·
yeah im sure theyll come out fine, im not gonna make them too dark. and the hid's well help.

haha i see the finger now cat ion, i didnt even notice til you said that

#15 ·
RLinSC, so 200 degrees for 10 mins gets the lenses to come loose. What do you use to reseal them when done? Also what do you use to tape off when painting? What type of paint to use in there too?

#16 ·
he is right, i mean to type 250 degress..that worked for me...grabbed some clear outdoor caulking and put a little beed in the seem to seal it back up, no issues there. Used regular painters tape for any masking...

#18 ·
i didn't use any kind of adhesive... all i did was put them back together while the glue was cold, baked em, pressed on them really hard, and held them together, then rebaked them, pressed on them some more, then popped them back on the car... i taped up the inside part of the turn signal housing... just use green tape (i suppose blue would work also)

hahaha, i'm glad someone caught the finger ;)

#19 ·
used Krylon gloss black plastic paint from canadian tire....

No progress pics from me; but once you open them up it is real easy to tell where you should tape or not.

#24 ·
well i finished em up today and took a few shots so if any of you care to check em out lol
they came out great, they look foggy but they really arent, and the lighting is not affected at all, im rea
lly happy with how they look.
i'll do an actual shoot once i clean the car up, some time this week

#27 ·
thank you sir
they do look dark but lighting is not affected with the hid's and the ambers still look good also, so im really happy with em

#31 ·
those look great.. think u could pm me the wat u did it. never did this before. if theres a how to or a detalied thgread about this that u know that be great u but i like how dark urs are n want to see how u did it thanks alot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.