New Caliper and Rotor Suggestions - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > General Area > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

New Caliper and Rotor Suggestions

Alright guys so my rear rotors and calipers have seen some better days and it is definitely time to change them out, I was wondering what the best way to go is. The big thing that I need to keep in mind though is that I have 16" rims for my winter tires, and so I really can't do much larger rotors or calipers at all. I don't see any need to go with slotted rotors or anything to extreme for calipers due to it being the rear set, but I don't want to just replace them with the local autozone stuff either. If you guys could give me some ideas as to what are some good rear rotors and calipers, it would be awesome.

I was checking on ZZPerformance but I didn't see anything as far as calipers, and didn't know if there are cheaper places to get the rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-eh666 View Post
Stage 2 is great. Its covered by warranty, better fuel economy, the eaton screams louder so deer wont jump onto the road, it makes girls get wet, and the emissions produced will not kill songbirds or melt glaciers.
agentRL0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
....Just A Saturn My Ass

Good info in this : Leaking rear brake calipers
GETCARTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I had taken a little look at it, I was just curious if anyone knew of any really good deals out there for new rotors and calipers that were an upgrade from stock. I went into my local advanced auto but they have the wagner rotors for $100 for the pair and they only have re-manufactured calipers.... wondering what the other options are.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nothing unless you want reman junk. Just buy new OEM calipers
Ecocharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"

I tried to reply to your FB message but that feature is block at work.

You said your calipers were sticking and my first suggestion was to try cyling the piston in and out to try to free it up. If its leaking it will need to be replaced.

Here is another recent thread on the topic.

Sticky Caliper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnbracing View Post
broken shit Is par for mcclure
GMRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Same boat as you. My winter Momo rims are 16's as well so the Brembo's were out of the question. I just went with Napa for rears and Centric for the front and just painted them. If I remember correctly, John had recommended going through here to get caliper replacements--came across this post after buying through CQUENCE for my fronts.

You can also go here as well.

Silver '06 RL w/ Comp Package (wingless)
palahniuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

So I replaced the caliper that was leaking and I ended up picking up some new rotors and pads after I realized that ZZPerformance was 5 miles from my apartment. I did realize however that the small caliper attachment plate that controls the e-brake on the other caliper is bent and so I don't have pressure with my e-brake (aka it no longer works). Where would I go to find a new plate like that so I can get my ebrake working again??
Old 04-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm somewhat in the same situation. Rear brakes need replaced, but both my sets of wheels are 17s.

What does everyone suggest as far as pads and rotors?

Former Redline Mods: GM Stage 2, K&N Cold Air Intake, 17" Motoring Drifters, Autometer Boost Gauge, Aeroforce Interceptor

1 of 1012 Onyx Black 2004 Ion Redlines
IONredlineRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IONredlineRACER View Post
I'm somewhat in the same situation. Rear brakes need replaced, but both my sets of wheels are 17s.

What does everyone suggest as far as pads and rotors?
I just bought a set of Cquence Absolute Dimpled and Slotted rotors. Good price and another member of the fourms said they were pretty good. Plus the site has pictures of half naked women holding the rotors so it must get chicks like mad.

$250 for Front and Rear rotors plus Posi Quiet Front brake pads. I had to get new rear calipers so they came with new pads on them. After I use these pads for 8000-10000 miles I will toss them for some Hawk Ceramic or HP pads.

Last edited by Astral; 04-18-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Astral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral View Post
I just bought a set of Cquence Absolute Dimpled and Slotted rotors. Good price and another member of the fourms said they were pretty good.

$250 for Front and Rear rotors plus Posi Quiet Front brake pads. I had to get new rear calipers so they came with new pads on them. After I use these pads for 8000-10000 miles I will toss them for some Hawk Ceramic or HP pads.
Those are on my short list. Keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral View Post
Plus the site has pictures of half naked women holding the rotors so it must get chicks like mad.
That's worth a few hp!
GMRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement