Wide Rollers - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Saturn ION Redline Saturn ION Redline Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn ION RedLine Forums > General Area > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

RedlineForums.com is the premier Saturn Ion Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Wide Rollers

Ok, based on pictures I've seen from the Powell team, It appears you guys are using a a DRag DR-34 18X8" for your 255's. Just to be certain our lug pattern is 5x110 right? if thats the case (and this isn't taking offset into consideration) there seem to be more options (though when I search based on my car at discount tire all i see for 18x8" is the DR34)... but I do like the LiquidMetal Speedster as well in 18x8" (I kinda have a thing for multispoke)

Based on our car, discount Tire offers the DrAG DR34 in 2 (offsets?? im not sure what these are)

Drag DR-34
See It On Your Car
18X8 5-110 35FBF

Drag DR-34
See It On Your Car
18X8 5-110 35SML

What are the deal with these?? 35FBF and 35SML ??? I'm just imagining that if you were to get these numbers wrong, then you'd have a 255 tire saying "FUCK YOU!" to your strut assemblies every time you made a tiny mistake... so... If you guys wouldn't mind a little clarity would be well appreciated..

Um... Yea, just trying to verify I'm trying to get this all mapped out.

Got a whole dry board filled up so that I know what to expect.

Thanks in advance

Rogue
renaissance_rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Powell......Enkei PF01 18x9.5 +35 245/40/18 5x114.3 hub conversion

Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1

I have not heard of nor do I know anyone running 18x8 255's.

255 is too wide for an 8" wide wheel IMHO.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome! Ok so you CAN get bigger than a 8" wide wheel. It takes a Hub conversion. Is this something that Powell offers in his store? I haven't heard of it until now (Or I wasn't paying close enough attention the last time it was mentioned)

Are you guys having to stay within a certain tire width profile to keep from hitting the struts?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just googled the hub conversion... (oh my! such a thing exists? -_- why I waste time??) and... thats an intimidating parts list... I may be biting off more than I care to chew here.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droxity View Post
Powell......Enkei PF01 18x9.5 +35 245/40/18 5x114.3 hub conversion

Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1

I have not heard of nor do I know anyone running 18x8 255's.

255 is too wide for an 8" wide wheel IMHO.
42 not 35 but whatever. U got Powell mistaken for ZZP, they are the folks who drag race and know all about that stuff.

the wheel options for 114.3 are way better. Slobalt (allan) autox's with 255 on 8 inch wheels, he is 5 x 110.

not sure what your goal is. 235 is the practical limit for daily driving, the 245 create some compromises that some people may not like. Then again a new Dodge Journey has waaaay more torque steer than a Redline on fat wheels and tires.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for the clarity!
totally agree with the better wheel selection @ 5X114.3

I personally don't see how a wide tire would reduce streetability in any case. maybe I'm missing something but the notion seems a tad silly, (again more than likely uneducated)

but yeah, all I'm looking to do, really, is to stop being limited by my wheel size and by the car generally. Practicality is really thrown out the window here. All I'm looking to do, is stop maxing out the car.

Seems like every couple of months I get something new done, then a few months later I'm saying "shit, I think I hit the limit again, if i push any harder its gonna spin instead of just sliding." And yea, I relearn to drive every time I do a new Mod, but the experience itself is exciting so I think its the whole... "Mod, max it out; repeat" process that I'm addicted to here.

What's sad is, I have yet to max it out on a proper track... the limit of this car is probably so far ahead of what I think it is that I'm really just playing games here, but truth be told, it's still fun.

If I can go an 18 without doing a hub conversion and safely run a 245 or MAYBE a 55
I think I'd be pretty happy.

Thanks for clearing that all up, itll also be nice to fit the brembos comfortably when i get to that point.

Last edited by renaissance_rogue; 11-20-2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: about that:
Old 11-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

wide!

I have 17 x9 +42 rota's with 255, and yes my hubs are 114x5, looks awesome and no rubbing!
Attached Thumbnails
Wide Rollers-2012-11-08_12-59-13_828.jpg  
bigonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

as the tire gets wider the contact patch changes. the wider tire tends to follow cracks and undulations - tramlining. torque steer becomes worse, especially power on with the wheel turned.

the higher friction from the wider tire causes the power steering to have difficulty as the algorithm in the calibration does not recongnize the steering resistance from the wider tire.

the 255 may well hit the strut. My tires just kiss the strut, one side only. Not a rub. go figure, I have spherical joints in every control arm.

there is a lot of side splash and wheel spray. Some jurisdictions will penalize a car with fines for excessive rain spray from wild outset wheels.

fender liners are gonzo on a redline with a typical rate losing road spring - pedders et al. YYZ v.1 springs do not do this, lose rate or contact the wheel liner. One guy arrived at CED with year old pedders so collapsed at the rear, his tires 235's hit the fender burnt the paint and cut the outer tire rib. He had to put in footballs to make it home
qwikredline11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Wow, that's alot of issues, I was running 255 on 17x8 just to try the fit out and I have had no issues, so I got the rota's because there lighter than 17x8 and 255 should be on at least 8.5 width wheels. I do have a few more mods than what I listed before I installed these I did spend some time making sure I had the clerance both front and rear, again I have had no issues at all, 2 years and still rolling!
bigonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ok.

I actually need to do something about this now;
I can NOT hold traction anymore.

since last update,
dual pass w/ option b
50# injectors
K&N intake
Full exhaust
Innovate Wideband AFR
HPTuners tuned for a gradual 1st gear boost increase - tuned (still a work in progress/ constantly) to get my afrs at WOT above 10.

Heres the problem, 45 mph in second? WOT = full wheel spin.

I've gotta do something, It could be an alignment, it could be tires, it could be a lot of things...

I need some advice- How are you guys doing 300 horsepower holding traction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement