Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

FE5 control arms

10K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  AtomSky 
#1 ·
What’s the reason to upgrade to FE5 control arms? From what I have read the only difference between FE3 and FE5 control arms is the ball jount size. I get why FE5 struts are better but what would be the reason to change the control arm?

#12 ·
Tried to order the FE5/YYZ plug and play from CED yesterday had an issue with the web site and called them today to find out the YYZ springs are back ordered for like a month they said. LAME but I can wait. I also ordered the FE5 control arms and solid rubber bushings from ZZP. I went with the rubber bushings because they were cheep so I will have to see if I get what I paid for but I don’t race or auto cross or anything like that. I’m wondering if the YYZ spring is going to lower the car enough to warrant a rotated rear trans mount? Also if anyone has used the steering rack spacers ZZP sells and if you all would also think that is necessary with the YYZ setup?

#13 ·
Sucks that the YYZ lit is back ordered but worth the wait... spring/ summer is coming up do it should time perfectly when you get it

YYZ will lower the front 1.50 back 1.25 inches after they brake in

The rotated mounts are to shift the engine so the axels are more in a perpendicular alignment rather than an angled alignment... this helps prevent axles from binding and creating wheel hop.. not necessary for lowering as the rotated mounts shift the engine in a more horizontal direction rather than vertical.. the mounts are a good upgrade if you are doing a lot of hard pulls from a stop... the car feels more solid with them but you will get vibes for awhile till they brake in as well...

Steering track spacers shouldn't be necessary.. I have trans/engine rotated mounts with YYZ and FE5 control arms and steering feels really good

#14 ·
djames beat me to it.

The FE5/YYZ swap is not a huge drop. About 3/4" higher than my saggy Teins. The car looks good on them, and the feel is awesome. The car rides better than stock, and then you take the turns.

Go with the Powell front rotated mount, LNF rear mount, and spacer. It cured my wheelhop issues. Now the car just boils the tires, it doesn't make them hop. Your axles will thank you. The rotated mounts have nothing to do with ride height, and everything to do with the fact that the factory mounts were designed to line up an automatic transmission correctly, not the F35. The rotated mounts correct the alignment issue.

The steering spacers are for people who like to lower their car so much that the handling suffers. My Teins weren't low enough for spacers, and the YYZ's are higher than that.

#15 ·
The Powell rotated front mount and rear LNF with a spacer cured the wheel hop for me too.

How stiff are the YYZ springs? I'm lowered on SSC, they aren't bad, but I rub my rear tires because it squats on hard acceleration. Do you think the YYZ's would give better traction due to less squat?

#17 ·
So I just want to put in my two cents here. I’m running a rotated rear trans mount and I went with Fe5 and the YYZ springs. Junk. Hit a pothole and say goodbye to your car lmao. I am running the ZZP rotated trans mount and solid engine mount with an ingalls stiffy as well. Put In a stock suspension from an 07’ (car was a part out had like 12,000, on it, steal find I know.) and just installed the ZZP control arms. The wheel hop and torque the car still can’t handle. Anyway I’m swapping in an LSD tranny from an 07 as well and just got new ZZP axels. Anyway, the Fe5 and sphericals, don’t waste your time. Get the ZZP arms. As for the lowering, the car is low enough, unless you like bottoming out all the time when you hit a crack in the road, don’t, if your dragging at the strip, YYZ it up. Trans mounts, and engine mounts will help, as I know all this from first hand a little over 2-3 years into building my RL, so take it from me go ZZP arms, LSD, ZZP axels, mounts, and hopefully I’ll find coil overs around eventually, if every brain dead making under 300whp with drivetrain loss would stop saying YYZ/FE5

#20 ·
Not sure what you are doing wrong but I’ve been on pedder springs and all original suspension with Powell mounts for 10 years now and have never had an issue. I just swapped struts lately they lasted 9 years. YYZ are the upgrade to my pedders so like I said not sure what you are doing wrong maybe it’s the zzp control arms being I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone on here buy them in the time I’ve been here.

#18 ·
My 421whp/354wtq turbo car does just fine with the YYZ/FE5 combo, Powell rotated front mount, and LNF/spacer rear. Car doesn't wheel-hop anymore. It will blow the tires off, but won't hop. The top transmission mount and front engine mount are 120,000 mile stockers.

I also have an intercooler hanging lower than any part on your typical Redline, and have no problems with bottoming out over bumps and potholes.

From my experience, the YYZ/FE5 combo is hardly "junk".

#19 ·
Lowered cars look better. Gap between the wheel and fender looks fuggin stupid. I have an 07 with LSD stock suspension and it handles ok. Definitely could be better. I think if the FE5 suspension wasn’t better than FE3 GM would not have made it. I can’t speak on YYZ spring as I don’t have them(yet). But what do I know as I’m a brain dead with less than 300 whp

#21 ·
I’m thinking I still need spherical bushings. TBH my wheel hop is still so massive and I have solid mounts, rotated rear, changed my rims out, axels look fine, I have FE5 arms that are still legit as well. I’m going to order a pair off **** and take the arms off and press em in. Been looking around the forum seems all’s I need is those sphericals and I found some KW coilovers for 1200

#25 · (Edited)
Get some real tires and it gets even better.

Edit: Be careful with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They can still spin at 90mph under WOT when you're pushing 25psi and 17 degrees of timing. ( 450whp-ish ). >:)

#31 ·
I do not, but I have the FE5 aluminum LCAs and they are a major improvement over the OEM stamped steel ones. I just don't know how many people really need the ZZ LCAs. The FE5 ones are so affordable and a major upgrade over stock that they are all most people would ever want/need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.