Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

So I'd like some feedback...

3K views 51 replies 17 participants last post by  Tibbett 
#1 · (Edited)
First off, rather than making an entirely separate thread for this in the Northeast board, I'll just combine both things in here.

Second, Saturn of West Liberty is a piece of crap lol, the guy was trying to sell me an 05 RL (granted fully decked out minus comp package and XM) for 22.5 with a 2.5k cash incentive. He didn't even have the car in the lot, didn't know a DAMN thing about the RL (for example he said that the cobalt didn't have anything even remotely similar to the RL, to which I quickly said, uhhhh there's the SS model which is almost the same car...). Thought it had a 2.2l engine, didn't know crap about it. Said that nowhere even HAVE 06 ones yet, then he had the balls to claim that they had the only 05 new model within 500 aerial miles. (WTF? :eek: ) (like that's a good thing if it's true... you're not even giving me a damn decreased price bastard).

Keep in mind with this story, I found out after that these cars are the SAME car, they're owned by the same dealership, yet I got drastically different numbers.

Alright then I went to the Saturn of Pleasant Hills (per the other Pittsburgher's suggestion), and this is where I have the question. This red RL is on the verge of being riced out, it's got a 141 demo miles on it or so, has the aerowing spoiler and the place's custom graphics package (looks surprisingly good to me). But the reason why I dare to say almost riced out is because with the way the car looks now, I will definitely be attracting cops attention.

But yea they BSed with me, then they said 'they're not allowed to do this (yea right)' but they offered me "better than the GM supplier discount" and gave me a number of about 19,5 for the car. I was like alright, that's SEMI decent, they straight out told me that they wanted to get rid of the car. So I still have negotiating room from there it seems. The only thing I forgot to ask was whether the 19,5 was with or without the 2,500 cash incentive. With, honestly I'm not considering it, I'll wait. WITHOUT though, would put the price of the car at 17k, and I could probably squeeze in the car care package and an extended warranty and walk out the door at 17.5-18.5k.

Whatdya think guys, hold out if it's without the cash incentive (going to call tomorrow to verify)? It does look hella nice, and the stripes ish could always come off. No LSD which is a kick in the pants for me, but ignoring that, I'd like to hear the reactions from some people, cause I know some of you guys got your cars for hella cheap.

Please respond this is probably the critical time for me to make a decision ;) if I don't buy it now I'll be waiting probaly. the one other place I'm going to check is back in Monroeville, though I don't think they'll negotiate as much.....

See less See more
#2 ·
If there's no others in the area you may have found your best deal if you get it for 17.5. I wouldn't pay the 19.5 because desparation will get them lower closer to the end of the year which is how a lot of us got our '04s for under 17. I know my local stealership has an asload of '05s (including one red comp) with the '06s sitting in the back and will be begging to get the '05s off the lot soon. You could ask them to change the wing and take off the graphics and probably get more money off. I wouldn't worry too much about the extended warranty because you'll probably want to void it yourself anyway but the extra care thing is nice to have.

#3 ·
dazednconfused75 said:
If there's no others in the area you may have found your best deal if you get it for 17.5. I wouldn't pay the 19.5 because desparation will get them lower closer to the end of the year which is how a lot of us got our '04s for under 17. I know my local stealership has an asload of '05s (including one red comp) with the '06s sitting in the back and will be begging to get the '05s off the lot soon. You could ask them to change the wing and take off the graphics and probably get more money off. I wouldn't worry too much about the extended warranty because you'll probably want to void it yourself anyway but the extra care thing is nice to have.

lucky you ;) I'm going to check out the other dealership and hope for something like that, but I'm not going to keep my hopes up...
The 17.5 would be hella nice i think if it was the final price? I'm debating waiting it out and see what I can see, maybe get them to drop it down some more. From what I heard they've had that car on the lot for like a year now and it's still not sold, so with the 06's about tobe rolling out, they're going to start getting a little desperate. I'm in no rush for that reason, if I can't get them to make me a decent deal now I can always wait a month and see if they still have it. If they still have it when the actual year 2006 comes around, they're going to probably start begging I would hope.

Oh and I'm hoping to get a REAL drive of the RL in soon, today was a little better, definitely felt the potential of the car, but wasn't able to USE it, and didn't have a SINGLE good turn in the drive...

#4 ·
i bought mine for 17k fully loaded w/ sunroof a year ago..

#5 ·
dL_RL said:
i bought mine for 17k fully loaded w/ sunroof a year ago..
I'm thinking the area might be part of it, or maybe somehow you're convincing these guys to stray a LOT off their prices.... this is fully loaded, sticker of just shy of 23k, getting him to do the 17k even WITH a newer model right behind it is going to be a stretch. Might be the location though, apparently these things are actually selling in the area (or they're BSing) i just haven't SEEN them....

#6 ·
oh nm it was the 2004 a year ago, so it was an older model, but alright yea that's more or less what i'm hoping for now, 17.5-18 if i get car care and an extended warranty too.

and dl_rl was yours 17k out the door?

#7 ·
19.5 is a damn good deal for a car that stickers at almost 23k... I'd take it. What's the finance rate? 0%?

#8 ·
Sp00ner said:
19.5 is a damn good deal for a car that stickers at almost 23k... I'd take it. What's the finance rate? 0%?

keep in mind that's stickering of 23k for a year older model, online quoting for a 2006 WITH comp package is 'stickering' at like 24k (including all BS fees). Basically they kept the 23k 'sticker price' from last year, but yea.

And the finance rate they gave the normal one they averaged 6.5% (no credit check), which is probably what I'd be getting (don't HAVE a credit history really, but what limited I do, it's good. I need to get another credit card or 2 :p).
Buuut instead of the low APR I'd probably take the cash incent of 2,500 (once again assuming it's not already associated in the price), because I'd probably only have a 3 year tops loan anyways.

#9 ·
oh and the 'ironic' thing about it is that right now I'm torn between a bike and the RL. I was waiting for a good deal for either one. A bike just sorta fell on my lap (through ebay) that's a REALLY good deal, but at the same time the RL looks like it might be a good deal too, ahhhhhhhh decisions decisions.

#10 ·
Well, that's part of the reason they're dropping the price 5k for you. If it was an '06, you'd be paying alot closer to sticker price.

Alot of the peeps that got '04s for cheap, got them this summer/spring. Not everyone of course. I got mine for a good deal, but I had previously met the finance guy there.

#12 ·
Sp00ner said:
Well, that's part of the reason they're dropping the price 5k for you. If it was an '06, you'd be paying alot closer to sticker price.

Alot of the peeps that got '04s for cheap, got them this summer/spring. Not everyone of course. I got mine for a good deal, but I had previously met the finance guy there.
well see the next question with that is do i wait for next summer/spring and see if i can get an 05 for cheap too? like I said no rush, but it would be really nice, and I'm starting to really like the RL (i'm going to end up falling in love for it once I get a real drive outta it i think :p)

#13 ·
the car has some go to it. If you havent driven one yet it will surprise you when you put your foot into it. As well you can talk them down a ton on that redline or in fact any redline. They are giving them away dont let them tell you differnt. If your really wanting the car call every dealer in your state and tell them this. I have this dealer that can give me a redline for 18k with warranty out the door. Can you meet or beat it. No dealership will say no.

#14 ·
Freakazoid said:
well see the next question with that is do i wait for next summer/spring and see if i can get an 05 for cheap too? like I said no rush, but it would be really nice, and I'm starting to really like the RL (i'm going to end up falling in love for it once I get a real drive outta it i think :p)
You need to mask that feeling when you go into the place. If they think that you're willing to do what it takes, cause you like the car so much. They know you'll be back. When I went in, I walked out on them, told them I was gonna go check out the SRT and a few other things, and two hours later my phone was ringing, with an offer that was LOWER than I had asked for.

You have to treat them like they're helping you, not the other way around. Car salesman are good at knowing when someone has them, and when they have someone. ALL my friends are salesman, in one form or another, and the deals that they get in a Best Buy will amaze you. Did you know that every Best Buy will negotiate? I had no clue! The best thing you can do is make sure that the salesman knows that the sale is walking out the door. There was no question in my mind, that I was gonna own that car at the end of the day, the sales folks thought I was just another undecided buyer.

#15 ·
Sp00ner said:
You need to mask that feeling when you go into the place. If they think that you're willing to do what it takes, cause you like the car so much. They know you'll be back. When I went in, I walked out on them, told them I was gonna go check out the SRT and a few other things, and two hours later my phone was ringing, with an offer that was LOWER than I had asked for.

You have to treat them like they're helping you, not the other way around. Car salesman are good at knowing when someone has them, and when they have someone. ALL my friends are salesman, in one form or another, and the deals that they get in a Best Buy will amaze you. Did you know that every Best Buy will negotiate? I had no clue! The best thing you can do is make sure that the salesman knows that the sale is walking out the door. There was no question in my mind, that I was gonna own that car at the end of the day, the sales folks thought I was just another undecided buyer.
lol yea I'm not that stupid/desperate in any fashion to actually SHOW the love for the car(partially I think because I didn't get to really step on it, but I could feel that the car wanted more, which I have a feeling will get me in a HEAP load of trouble :D) My indecision I think was why they threw me the one offer to begin with. I gotta say car salesmen are pretty damn GOOD at what they do though, the whole 'we're doing this just for you, don't tell anyone else' deal, if I was a gullible person I would take what they were saying.

But honestly they're acting like they're doing something super special and something 'illegal' by Saturn standards, the price they sell it for doesn't have to return to anyone but them, you're only affecting yourself. Tomorrow I'm going to call though and just be like 'the number you gave me yesterday, was that with or without the 2,500 cash incentive?' if he says yes, I'm just going to laugh and say 'ok thanks' and hang up. If he says no, I'm going to say something along the lines of 'oh ok, thanks, going to check out a few other things and I'll get back to you later today'.
These guys made one slipup though, they straight out said they 'wanted to get rid of the car', tsk tsk, letting desperation slip through gives me a nice foothold :D.

Hmmm pro car shoppers whatdya think, call tomorrow, or call Monday (I told them I'd make a decision Saturday or Monday). Let them sweat it? I sure won't be :D

#16 ·
I think you call back and try to get that same salesman before he goes home for the weekend. All salesman want to end that week with a sale... I'm not sure how all dealerships are, but I know at the Chevy dealer, where my buddy worked, he got a bonus for selling a certain amount of cars per week, or per month. In my case, it worked out well. I went in in the middle of January, and I was the only person in the entire dealership, all three times I was there, I was the only person. I also made sure that the sales guy was aware that I knew plenty about cars, I knew what else was out there, and I even mentioned waiting on the Cobalt, but I figurered I'd give the Satty a test drive once before I did anything else. The damn salesman practically ran out the room to get the keys.

#17 ·
paid 21 out the door for an 05 in 05 with 1% rate i though it was pretty good anyway

#18 ·
The money part didn't come till after I said yes, and they had run my credit. Once they saw I could get the car, and a downpayment, they're in the bag. That's when I walked out the first time. At that time it was around 22k, for a sticker of 24k. I said nope, can't afford that, sorry. Once they say the magic words "What is it gonna take to get this deal done?" That's when you've won. MAKE them ask that question, and they will usually come back with something that is REALLY close to what their best offer is. This is also the time to make them toss in little things, if possible. Floor mats, free 5 oil changes, little crap like that.

Saturn is a little harder the haggle with, and some places seem to refuse outright. Sounds like these guys are willing to do a little dealing though. Chevy, you can walk in and beat them up all day over the price of a car...

#19 ·
yea Saturn LOOOOOOVES throwing htat 'no haggle policy' out there, but that's complete BS, but I found the wonderful little trick that might be able to hold out.

Just SAY you're a GM supplier and you have the discount, from what I found they actually don't LIKE doing that at all, they'd rather negotiate from there (both dealers didn't seem to like that much at all for whatever reason). But yea I'm hoping to go beyond the free 5 oil changes and get the free car care package (or maybe I'll ask them to do 18.5k out the door and that will include a bought car care package, you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours)

#20 ·
Freakazoid said:
But yea I'm hoping to go beyond the free 5 oil changes
Thats worth $460.00 in my town. I got a coupon for an oil change for thirty bucks and thought it a ok deal, took it in and was told it didn't apply to the RL. They want'ed $92 bucks so I passed. One thing I did appreciate was the info to do it myself, torque specs and everything for removing and reinstalling the SC. I plan on trying to do it without removing the SC first. As far as negotiating goes just remember its not always the bloodsucking salesman you have to watch out for it's that damn financer at signing time. :)

#22 ·
goofyguy said:
the car has some go to it. If you havent driven one yet it will surprise you when you put your foot into it. As well you can talk them down a ton on that redline or in fact any redline. They are giving them away dont let them tell you differnt. If your really wanting the car call every dealer in your state and tell them this. I have this dealer that can give me a redline for 18k with warranty out the door. Can you meet or beat it. No dealership will say no.
This is true! Keep that in mind when ya call Saturn of PH back.

BTW, I forgot to tell you about the graphics on the side of the car ;) I didn't think they looked BAD, but I'd tell them to take em the hell off, and not put dealer stickers on it.

Like goof, say 18k w/ taxes and warranty out the door. Any money, you'll get a "yes". And THAT'S an AWESOME deal w/ 141 miles on it.

--Jon

#23 ·
SLSduke82 said:
This is true! Keep that in mind when ya call Saturn of PH back.

BTW, I forgot to tell you about the graphics on the side of the car ;) I didn't think they looked BAD, but I'd tell them to take em the hell off, and not put dealer stickers on it.

Like goof, say 18k w/ taxes and warranty out the door. Any money, you'll get a "yes". And THAT'S an AWESOME deal w/ 141 miles on it.

--Jon
at this point I think it might be whether or not the price they gave me was with that cash incentive, if it was with, it might be a hopeless case. Trying to convince them to take off ANOTHER like 3 grand I'm not sure will be happening.

#25 ·
My sticker was almost 27K with all the options. However my wife really wanted the car, With dealer incentives and trade in we were about 20K. We didn't think that was too bad, but I think we could have done better if they didn't know she really wanted it.

They did pull the pinstripe and deducted that off the sticker, so they will do deducts if you don't like a dealer add on (pinstripe, wing)

#26 ·
ouch no offense man but i think you got hammered ;) unless you had comp package too, then props to you! :-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.