First Autocross - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

First Autocross

Ran my first ever Autocross this weekend with the Sports Car Club of Vermont. Actually, it was my first ever competitive event in a car. Finished dead last in the Novice class but not in the overalls, so I was happy. Took better than 9 seconds off my time throughout the day and each run was better than the last.

I identified a few bad street driving habits that will need work - that should net me a few more seconds next time around. I had a great time and can't wait for the next one. Only Ion they'd ever seen apparently

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Results.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	3526  

2005 Red Redline
Boost Gauge and Ladder Tach
Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge
Factory grille
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 11:26 AM

keep it up man! surprised that there were 2 saabs there. (yes i know it's not that uncommon ;p)

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
-George Bernard Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov
I do love my car, it's kinda like being in love with a really hot Redneck girl who likes to burp, fart, and not brush her teeth every day. You know she has so much potential, if she could only get the little things right......
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyguy
Ran my first ever Autocross this weekend with the Sports Car Club of Vermont. Actually, it was my first ever competitive event in a car. Finished dead last in the Novice class but not in the overalls, so I was happy. Took better than 9 seconds off my time throughout the day and each run was better than the last.

I identified a few bad street driving habits that will need work - that should net me a few more seconds next time around. I had a great time and can't wait for the next one. Only Ion they'd ever seen apparently

Dave
I was surprised by the amount of people who knew about the IRL. People are starting to learn, since the Balt SC came out. But wasn't AutoXing a blast? I have a feeling this car can REALLY be pushed. I thought I was breaking loose each run, but each run I pushed it harder and the car loved it...gotta love having the steering wheel around three times and the sucker just keeps gripping.

2004 ION Red Line

13.6 @ 105
13.7 @ 107

2008 Astra XR 3 door 5 spd

31 mpg, mostly city

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

You nailed it - I had as much fun doing that as I have ever had in a competitive event. Man, the first run, even though I knew I was gonna drive it slow to imprint the course, I had such a case of the adrenaline shakes I could hardly drive the car

I've gotta order a set of torque braces for sure - that wheel hop sure kills the launch

There's definitely a lot more in the car than I got to this time. Plenty of room to improve...

Dave

2005 Red Redline
Boost Gauge and Ladder Tach
Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge
Factory grille
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 06:58 PM

And I also loved the fact that coming out of tight corners, in 2nd gear, I was usually at 3,000 RPM or so, and soon as I punched it, the torque was there. Then again, w/o the LSD, that meant a LOT of my Lops ended up on the parking lot

And yes to the jitters. I was nervous as hell first run. Took it real slow.

By my last run, I was beat, sunburned, and had watched 125 cars do four runs. I was actually second to last to run. I had the entire course visualized and just shoved the RL every which way. It went. I could've gone harder, but that'll be next time.

Most amazing thing, I didn't eat one cone. That'll change once I grow a set and toss my car into corners at 50 mph haha...

2004 ION Red Line

13.6 @ 105
13.7 @ 107

2008 Astra XR 3 door 5 spd

31 mpg, mostly city

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Moderator Kitteh!

What about those control knuckles GM has for the cobalt for autocrossing. There is a TSB for it if the driver wants them you can order them. I dont know if they would work for the RL though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HPTuners, Diamond Forged 10.0:1 Pistons, Flowtechnics Ported Head, Ferrea Valve Springs w/Ti Retainers, ARP Head Studs, Siemens 60lbers, AEM Cold Air, Thermal/Custom Cat Back/Downpipe, GMPP Header, BilletFlow 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #001 - Sticker Tower Of Doom Club
All opinions expressed are my own, even if I say they're someone else's. All your base are belong to us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in