Saturn ION RedLine Forums

Saturn ION RedLine Forums (https://www.redlineforums.com/forums/)
-   Autocross / Road Racing Discussion (https://www.redlineforums.com/forums/autocross-road-racing-discussion/)
-   -   Koni Adjustable Shocks & Struts Follow-up (https://www.redlineforums.com/forums/autocross-road-racing-discussion/22493-koni-adjustable-shocks-struts-follow-up.html)

scottherbert 03-07-2007 08:27 PM

Koni Adjustable Shocks & Struts Follow-up

After some email exchanges with the Koni rep and his engineer (who worked on the Cobalt SS shocks and struts), I received an email in which the engineer says that he believes that the rear shocks for the Redline and the Cobalt SS are the same -- good news. :) I plan to get a pair and see (about $300 for the pair directly from Koni). These are the rebound adjustable Konis -- at the highest rebound setting they are 100% stiffer than the lowest setting.

The engineer also said that the cartridge they have for the Cobalt won't work in the Redline but only because of the different upper mountings. He said that if I sent him a 'used' Saturn strut, they'd measure it, cut it, and figure out which adjustable strut cartridge would work best (the adjustable struts have the same stiffness configuration, but the have an adjustment knob on the top of the sturt mount -- under the hood). This means that there'd finally be a real set of high performance 'stock' replacement shocks and struts for our Redlines -- and no one would have to change to very expensive coil-overs to get better struts/shocks!

I'm willing to work with Koni to get this done, but I don't have a 'spare' strut -- mine are on the car, I don't know of any wrecked Redlines around here, and I can't really afford to buy a new one for Koni experimentation!

So, is there anyone out there who'd be willing to part with a used Redline strut (free or really cheap)? I'd pay for the shipping here and on to Koni and I'd deliver Koni's results to everyone.

Or..., if a Saturn tech could assure me that any Ion strut has the same outside dimensions as the Redline strut (length, stroke, outside diameter, etc.), since the spring and strut valving makes no difference -- Koni's going to gut the strut after measurements anyway -- then if anyone has any used Ion strut they're willing to part with, it would also solve the problem. But this depends on one of our experts telling me the strut dimensions.

Koni makes absolutely first class, adjustable, rebuildable struts and shocks so this is a very good opportunity -- particularly for anyone who wants to drive the redline fast around corners...

Scott

bigd2010 03-07-2007 08:30 PM

300 for all 4 or jsut the front right? im a tard

alredline04 03-07-2007 08:39 PM

Sounds great!!

There is someone in the FS section parting out a wrecked RL

Tibbett 03-07-2007 09:15 PM

Talk to Shabodah

I'm buying body parts off the wrecked car he's getting..he might be willing to part with the struts..not sure.

As a side note I'm still going with coilovers..

scottherbert 03-07-2007 09:41 PM

Strut

Note that I only need one strut and I don't need the spring.

Scott

rice eater 03-08-2007 09:44 AM

I will buy one if need be. just let me know.

Shabodah 03-08-2007 09:53 AM

I'd be more than happy to help once I have the car. I'm really looking forward to ripping it apart. lol.

Ziggi 03-08-2007 09:59 AM

hurry the hell up shabs so tibb can get his car back together.

dL_RL 03-08-2007 10:03 AM

I didn't read the whole post, but I hope you guys get some Koni yellow shocks.

Lifetime warranty, they can revalve to any setting you like FTW!

I have them on my civic and I love them.

Shabodah 03-08-2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggi
hurry the hell up shabs so tibb can get his car back together.

Not like I don't want to, lol.