GMPP Steering Knuckle install pics - Page 3 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 08:37 PM

Location: Wichita, KS (Most IRL's per capita with fewest forum members)
Shab, how have the GMPP knuckles affected your tire wear? I think I read somewhere that it puts the tires at a bad angle for daily driving.

'04 ION Red Line

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Compact Car
(Rick) Kewley (GMPD) also told us the car was lowered, the shifter throws were shortened, and the pedals were moved closer together, which is why the Red Line's ridiculously tall ride height, its poorly placed pedals, and its long-throw shifter leave us shaking our heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 05:59 PM

bump......

'04 ION Red Line

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
(Rick) Kewley (GMPD) also told us the car was lowered, the shifter throws were shortened, and the pedals were moved closer together, which is why the Red Line's ridiculously tall ride height, its poorly placed pedals, and its long-throw shifter leave us shaking our heads.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 06:13 PM

shabv thats some good shit me like!!!!

2002 black on black Corvette Z06
· LQ9 based 402 Stroker built by Charlie at RPM Motors
. AFR 225 cylinder heads 2.08/1.60 valves W/ Yella Terra 1.7 Roller Rockers
. Rx Dual Valve Oil Catch Can
. Custom ground blower spec cam
· A&A YSi Vortech Supercharger
. Kooks headers
· Textralia Exoskell Tripple disk clutch
· level V transmission and level IV diff DTE trans brace
· Custom Fuel System
· 6 Rib Direct Drive System.
· AEM Methanol Injection System
. A bunch of WHP gobs of WTQ.

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 06:04 PM

WTF Shab...I HAVE been out of the loop missing your serious post and all.....fuck!

It's a Saturn....that'll kick Uranus
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 07:24 AM

Bump for Shab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion
Shab, how have the GMPP knuckles affected your tire wear? I think I read somewhere that it puts the tires at a bad angle for daily driving.

'04 ION Red Line

Quote:
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

I haven't had any abnormal tire wear since I did the work, but I've only got about 7k on it since or so (somewhere between 7 & 10).

Ok, so, like, yeah, umm....
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 09:02 AM

Well, that's a fair amount of mileage. Do you recommend these to someone who doesn't erally beat on their car, just as a precautionary measure?

'04 ION Red Line

Quote:
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion
Well, that's a fair amount of mileage. Do you recommend these to someone who doesn't erally beat on their car, just as a precautionary measure?
Well, I hate to recommend such a costly thing, but honestly, every car I've seen that has had "emergency response procedures" performed on it has broken the stock knuckles exactly where they are reinforced. It's not so much a safety issue, but when they break, they tend to take out a lot of things around them, like axles, tires, etc, etc.

Ok, so, like, yeah, umm....
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"

Can we get a "1 year later" update?

06 Silver RL |
|
|
|

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnbracing View Post
broken shit Is par for mcclure
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabodah View Post
Just to try and answer some questions asked:

Yes, I did all the work except the alignment myself. I had ditched the car into a culvert and bent the passenger control arm, outer tie rod end, and messed up the wheel bearing, so I ended up replacing both lower control arms, both wheel bearings, obviously the knuckles, the one tie rod end.

I also needed to do from brakes while I was there, so I stuck a set of GMPP drilled/slotted rotors on with the OEM pads.

The knuckles allow for more negative camber than stock, are stronger, and work with lowered cars better. My car is not lowered and I use it as a daily driver, so I'm only running 1 degree negative camber for now. I've been waiting to see what happens with the B+G Coil overs before I do any more suspension work.

The control arms look and feel better, but not much you'd notice unless you were pretty attuned to it. The stamped arms are not very good pieces, IMHO.

Now if GM would only get their new motor mount and transmission mounts released that are supposed to help with wheel hop, and I can get off my ass and figure out exactly what size spacer to use on the steering rack, I'd be all set.

Prices:

www.crateenginedepot.com

Their spring sale ends May 31.
The LNF mounts are exactly the same location as LSJ, different durometer and configuration do zero for wheel hop. I have spacers for the rack they are easy, but the G6 knuckle steering arm should take care of some of that...the FE5 control arms are better than RL straight swap - I guess you did that they gotta be done in pairs as the castor is lightly different..(wheel base changes)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in