Saturn ION RedLine Forums

Saturn ION RedLine Forums (https://www.redlineforums.com/forums/)
-   Autocross / Road Racing Discussion (https://www.redlineforums.com/forums/autocross-road-racing-discussion/)
-   -   GMPP Steering Knuckle install pics (https://www.redlineforums.com/forums/autocross-road-racing-discussion/25264-gmpp-steering-knuckle-install-pics.html)

Shabodah 05-23-2007 08:21 PM

GMPP Steering Knuckle install pics

5 Attachment(s)
I was thinking a side by side comparison might help. Sorry, I didn't get pics after the install was finished. The last one shows the Cobalt control arm installed. Fit perfectly, no problems with getting the alignment set, either. I've now seen two sets of knuckles break right at the lower strut bolt in accidents that I would not have expected that to have occured. Probably still not an issue on a car that doesn't see the track, but a real good idea for Autocross and Time Attack cars.

Nukem 05-23-2007 08:47 PM

did you install them yourself...if so how hard and how long did it take u...if not how much did it cost u to install them...any notice improvement on handling??

Pierre 05-23-2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabodah
I was thinking a side by side comparison might help. Sorry, I didn't get pics after the install was finished. The last one shows the Cobalt control arm installed. Fit perfectly, no problems with getting the alignment set, either. I've now seen two sets of knuckles break right at the lower strut bolt in accidents that I would not have expected that to have occured. Probably still not an issue on a car that doesn't see the track, but a real good idea for Autocross and Time Attack cars.

Shab,

What's with the serious post. You feeling all right?

IONTOP 05-23-2007 09:21 PM

I'd go with the one on the left... it's more silvery...

alredline04 05-23-2007 09:43 PM

Good stuff Shab. I have been thinking about weather the Cobalt control arm would work. I will be going the same route in the off season.

socalsilverRL 05-23-2007 10:52 PM

wtf? shab not e-humping? no way...:D

those knuckles are 2x thicker than the stock ones...and good sh-t putting the cobalt a-arms in there, much stronger.

Caboose 05-24-2007 06:55 AM

we all have our moments....

Ive bondered this before also, i may look into it. How much do the knuckles cost?

Shabodah 05-24-2007 06:56 AM

Just to try and answer some questions asked:

Yes, I did all the work except the alignment myself. I had ditched the car into a culvert and bent the passenger control arm, outer tie rod end, and messed up the wheel bearing, so I ended up replacing both lower control arms, both wheel bearings, obviously the knuckles, the one tie rod end.

I also needed to do from brakes while I was there, so I stuck a set of GMPP drilled/slotted rotors on with the OEM pads.

The knuckles allow for more negative camber than stock, are stronger, and work with lowered cars better. My car is not lowered and I use it as a daily driver, so I'm only running 1 degree negative camber for now. I've been waiting to see what happens with the B+G Coil overs before I do any more suspension work.

The control arms look and feel better, but not much you'd notice unless you were pretty attuned to it. The stamped arms are not very good pieces, IMHO.

Now if GM would only get their new motor mount and transmission mounts released that are supposed to help with wheel hop, and I can get off my ass and figure out exactly what size spacer to use on the steering rack, I'd be all set.

Prices:

www.crateenginedepot.com

Their spring sale ends May 31.

bc3tech 05-24-2007 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre
Shab,

What's with the serious post. You feeling all right?

+1... next thing u know he'll be documenting a build... :freak5:

Shabodah 05-24-2007 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bc3tech
+1... next thing u know he'll be documenting a build... :freak5:

Still waiting on my main studs to come in. I could post some pics of small block stuff if you guys want.... lol.