GMPP Steering Knuckle install pics - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

GMPP Steering Knuckle install pics

I was thinking a side by side comparison might help. Sorry, I didn't get pics after the install was finished. The last one shows the Cobalt control arm installed. Fit perfectly, no problems with getting the alignment set, either. I've now seen two sets of knuckles break right at the lower strut bolt in accidents that I would not have expected that to have occured. Probably still not an issue on a car that doesn't see the track, but a real good idea for Autocross and Time Attack cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5200007.JPG
Views:	2567
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	7051   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5200006.JPG
Views:	1099
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	7052   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5200005.JPG
Views:	2932
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	7053   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5200004.JPG
Views:	3256
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	7054   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5200001.JPG
Views:	3303
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	7055  

Ok, so, like, yeah, umm....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2007, 08:47 PM

did you install them yourself...if so how hard and how long did it take u...if not how much did it cost u to install them...any notice improvement on handling??

"Begginners can drive fast in a straight line, while intermediates can master the corners, but truely advanced drivers make their own lines to get ahead!"

Rye Takahashi....Initial D

1991 Acura NSX
2004 Ion Redline GM stage 2 Sold
Old 05-23-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabodah
I was thinking a side by side comparison might help. Sorry, I didn't get pics after the install was finished. The last one shows the Cobalt control arm installed. Fit perfectly, no problems with getting the alignment set, either. I've now seen two sets of knuckles break right at the lower strut bolt in accidents that I would not have expected that to have occured. Probably still not an issue on a car that doesn't see the track, but a real good idea for Autocross and Time Attack cars.
Shab,

What's with the serious post. You feeling all right?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:21 PM

I'd go with the one on the left... it's more silvery...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:43 PM

Good stuff Shab. I have been thinking about weather the Cobalt control arm would work. I will be going the same route in the off season.

'04 RL, Pedder's XA coilovers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:52 PM

wtf? shab not e-humping? no way...

those knuckles are 2x thicker than the stock ones...and good sh-t putting the cobalt a-arms in there, much stronger.

2005 Silver Ion Redline - *SOLD*
FRO member

2006 Rally Red Evo 9 RS...

Wingless...FTMFW!
**If you dont understand, I am most likely being sarcastic...**
Old 05-24-2007, 06:55 AM
SPARTA!!!

we all have our moments....

Ive bondered this before also, i may look into it. How much do the knuckles cost?

"No one jumps on the Cleveland Browns bandwagon; if you're on it, you've been there since birth"
R.I.P. Ahriman a.k.a. one of the coolest dudes Ive ever had the privilege of speaking to. You Are Missed
"The Racetrack Is No Place For Snacks & Fancy Cakes!!!"
Old 05-24-2007, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Just to try and answer some questions asked:

Yes, I did all the work except the alignment myself. I had ditched the car into a culvert and bent the passenger control arm, outer tie rod end, and messed up the wheel bearing, so I ended up replacing both lower control arms, both wheel bearings, obviously the knuckles, the one tie rod end.

I also needed to do from brakes while I was there, so I stuck a set of GMPP drilled/slotted rotors on with the OEM pads.

The knuckles allow for more negative camber than stock, are stronger, and work with lowered cars better. My car is not lowered and I use it as a daily driver, so I'm only running 1 degree negative camber for now. I've been waiting to see what happens with the B+G Coil overs before I do any more suspension work.

The control arms look and feel better, but not much you'd notice unless you were pretty attuned to it. The stamped arms are not very good pieces, IMHO.

Now if GM would only get their new motor mount and transmission mounts released that are supposed to help with wheel hop, and I can get off my ass and figure out exactly what size spacer to use on the steering rack, I'd be all set.

Prices:

www.crateenginedepot.com

Their spring sale ends May 31.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre
Shab,

What's with the serious post. You feeling all right?
+1... next thing u know he'll be documenting a build...

Member #002 - The

The '07 Aura XR
[Done] Intake res delete
[Next] Tint, Eibachs

-
QC
20/5 tint, SPS stb, CF dash, reflective bumper insert, 62mm TB, RL plugs, masked corners, progress rsb, RL fsb, 2.5" cat-back, triple pod w/ Boost, FPG, LC-1 & XD-16, filled front & rear mounts, pclear shorty shift,
, Eibach Pros, 8k HIDs - 188.28whp / 175.03wtq

Old 05-24-2007, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3tech
+1... next thing u know he'll be documenting a build...
Still waiting on my main studs to come in. I could post some pics of small block stuff if you guys want.... lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in