With AND without springs - Page 5 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:58 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottherbert
Living in Colorado, I completely understand your concerns about lowering the car.

I don't know about the BWoody sway bar end links other than reading about them -- I don't really think you'll feel much difference between the stock links and the BWoodys -- but they won't hurt anything. Although I haven't installed my subframe connectors, I believe they'll substantially stiffen the car tortionally, which, in turn, should let the suspension work better.

I have a strut brace installed (there was no discernable improvement with just the strut brace) and I have a Progress rear sway -- which produces a dramatic difference in handling -- the car is much flatter and there really is an improvement in reducing front wheel spin (and I have the Quaife).

I don't drag race this car, but I don't doubt that the torque brace will help keep the engine torque throw under control -- which is a good thing. If I'm spinning my tires when I start, I'm wasting time, so I use throttle control and minimize tire spin (remember, however, I'm running Hoosier 225/40 x 17 A6 autocross slicks -- all the tire spin does is reduce tire-life -- @$230/tire, I don't need to wear them any faster).

The front subframe brace from RebelAutoWorxs (first time I've seen this) would probably be very good -- but I doubt that you'd be able to point to it as a single item of value. I think, however, that adding it to a vehicle that has everything else and is already near the edge of the performance/handling envelope would be quite valuable. I plan to inquire about the Redline fit with RebelAutoWorxs -- $130 CDN isn't too expensive.

About tires: I don't run street rubber on the track. You can do it but you'll always be limited. If you're going to compete with street rubber, look for something like the Azenis 615s -- but don't expect much tire wear.

Since you're in snow country, if the snow isn't too deep, I've had great success with the ContiContac Extreme all weather tires -- they're good in the rain, relatively good on ice or packed snow and work pretty well in deeper snow and relatively cheap -- they're definitely NOT autocross tires.

Since we have deep snow in Colorado and I've been known to take the Redline up to the ski areas (I have a ski rack), I have a set of Pirelli Winter Carving, studded snow radials, on 16" wheels for REAL snow conditions. I didn't use them at all last year, but they'er on the shelf in the garage.

So I guess all this tells you that I have multiple sets of wheels/tires for the Redline, 17 x 7.5" with Hoosiers, 17 x 7" with Contis, 16 x 7" with Pirelli snows, and I have the forged (dark grey) Redline wheels on my wifes grey Saturn Aura (I'm not impressed with the factory wheels on an autocross track). I plan to get a set of 18 x 8.5" rims early next year so I can stuff 265/275/285 - 35/30 x 18 slicks on the car to be nationally competitive. Assuming this works, I'll probably put some Hoosier rains on the 17 x 7.5" rims...

Yes, the car will oversteer in high-speed turns or under heavy braking in a turn, but better oversteer than understeer. You can plan for and compensate for oversteer much easier than understeer and you'll be faster. Rule #1, don't brake while turning, it works on a road race course because of the speeds, the turns, the tires, and the setup of a road-race car, it doesn't work well on the much tighter autocross track with a car with an autocross setup -- they aren't the same!

Scott

From what i've heard from several posts, the strut brace won't really do much, and it will probably be something i do when i don't have anything else to spend money on. the rebel subframe brace i have heard really good things about, as well as the sway bar endlinks (ever seen ours next to a set??) This car is a daily driver so I will be using it mostly for commuting to work, i just want a lil more handling out of it (now that I'm satisfied with the power output)

Last edited by Tennpenn83; 08-19-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennpenn83
From what i've heard from several posts, the strut brace won't really do much, and it will probably be something i do when i don't have anything else to spend money on. the rebel subframe brace i have heard really good things about, as well as the sway bar endlinks (ever seen ours next to a set??) This car is a daily driver so I will be using it mostly for commuting to work, i just want a lil more handling out of it (now that I'm satisfied with the power output)
you dont have springs? dont buy a strut brace get some proline eibachs...and a decent rear bar...and urace car connectors, and ditch the front drag link or whatver u htink it is...you dont have drop links yet? powergridinc.com the very best....imho
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:29 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikredline11
you dont have springs? dont buy a strut brace get some proline eibachs...and a decent rear bar...and urace car connectors, and ditch the front drag link or whatver u htink it is...you dont have drop links yet? powergridinc.com the very best....imho

That's the thing, though, i don't want springs because i don't really want to lower the car at all.

drop links? same as sway bar end links? urace frame connectors are a definite buy, as well as the engine cradle subframe brace. turbo tech racing rear bar looks good too. that will help me handle probably better than just springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in