First SCCA Event this weekend - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

First SCCA Event this weekend

I'm going out for my first SCCA autocross on the 18th. Sporting my stock 07 Redline. this looked to be the place to discuss it. I'm very excited about it. Not planning on being the star this first time out, but would like to at least not emberass myself. Anyone got any tips?

After this event I was going to start modding the car, springs, wheels and the such any suggestions on which is most helpful? I know it's not about speed, but handling in these events.

2007 Ion Red Line
Onyx Black w/Red Pin Stripe
Fully Loaded except XM & Comp Pkg.
2 Trunk-loaded Kicker 12" Solo-Baric L5's
Itching to mod . . . .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

----------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 07:30 PM

Wow, November 14th and there is an autocross...dammmn...lucky people with warm weather...

Here are some tips.

1- Show up early, volunteer your time to help setup, but let them knwo you are new.
2-Don't be embarrased at your lack of experience. You will be slow.
3-On your first run, do not concentrate on going fast, just try to make a clean run. Use you following runs to get faster and faster.
4- Leave the car in 2nd gear, even if you think you should change to first, its not worth it (1-time to shift, 2-chance of blowing syncros by going that low...especially a newbie)
5- Remember in drivers ed they todl you "two hands on the wheel, 10-2"..good advice for a new autocrosser, I went pretty well every event this year, and always ahve two hands on the wheel.
6- "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" just keep that in the back of your head.
7- Clean your car before you go, I mean vacuum and all. A gust of wind that takes a peice of paper out, flies accross track can be a HUGE distraction.
8-be polite, and volunteer, people organize these events for the love of the sport, never argue with a marshalls decisions.
9-HAVE FUN!..you aren't out there to win, face it, your bran new...just go have a good time and try to beat your own times, no one elses....

10-Youll probably hate your tires after the first 'go'...I know I did...but keep your stockers...mine are actually Pilot HX MXM4's, worse than stock dunlops...shitty tires make you a better drive, sticky tires just cover up your mistakes....Leave your car stock until your last 3 times of every event are virtually the same.

EDIT:
a couple more
11- IF you happen to loose control, remember that the car will go where your eyes go, if you spin out, pick a spot of open asphalt and stare at it, do not look for the curb, for the light standard or whatever, the car will go where your eyes tell it go..its a weird psychological thing...
12- Always look ahead...as your going through a gat, your eyes should be on the next gate, or slighty passed it, planning your route....

Edit #2:
I noticed in your sig it says 12" subs.....I highly suggest you remove those. They aren't a big fan of 'loose' stuff in your car here. I always take my spare tire and jack out too...

That is all I can think of for now, enjoy the passion!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Saturn Ion Redline w/LSD
  • GO - GMPP Stage II, K&N Typhoon, Exedy Hyper Single Clutch + Flywheel Kit
  • VELCRO - Eibach Pro-kit, Progress Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Coppertop_01's subframe brace, PowerGridInc sway-bar end links, Azenis RT-615s (215/40/17)
  • SLOW- Hawks HPS pads, Powerslot slotted rotors
  • SHOW- blacked out, RKSport 3pc Spoiler

Last edited by Periodic; 11-14-2007 at 07:37 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

yeah I'm actually pulling those out tomorrow before I head out for the weekend race with my friend and gf. Planned ahead there. Thanks for noticing though. and the 2nd gear I was wondering about that. Debating if I'd be in 2nd or 3rd.

I should be there early and I think I volunteered to do course setup and grab cones, hopefully to learn the course better.

And losing control's not a concern. I mean I obviously don't want to but last race was out at Texas Motor Speedway, and just a flat open area (we have plenty of that in Texas) and this one is out at the airfield, so more just flat open space.

Thanks for the tips, I keep my car spotless, and I'll pull my speakers out tomorrow.

2007 Ion Red Line
Itching to mod . . . .

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 07:59 AM

Wow justwanted to say that that was some excellent advice! +1000 to Periodic

Red-Ion RL
Comp Package
GM Stage II
BWoody Traction Bar
K&N CAI
Antenna Mod
Nates 2.85
NGK 1 Stage Colder plugs
General Exclaim UHPs
Tein Coilovers

FOR SALE $12,900

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periodic
Wow, November 14th and there is an autocross...dammmn...lucky people with warm weather...

Here are some tips.

1- Show up early, volunteer your time to help setup, but let them knwo you are new.
2-Don't be embarrased at your lack of experience. You will be slow.
3-On your first run, do not concentrate on going fast, just try to make a clean run. Use you following runs to get faster and faster.
4- Leave the car in 2nd gear, even if you think you should change to first, its not worth it (1-time to shift, 2-chance of blowing syncros by going that low...especially a newbie)
5- Remember in drivers ed they todl you "two hands on the wheel, 10-2"..good advice for a new autocrosser, I went pretty well every event this year, and always ahve two hands on the wheel.
6- "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" just keep that in the back of your head.
7- Clean your car before you go, I mean vacuum and all. A gust of wind that takes a peice of paper out, flies accross track can be a HUGE distraction.
8-be polite, and volunteer, people organize these events for the love of the sport, never argue with a marshalls decisions.
9-HAVE FUN!..you aren't out there to win, face it, your bran new...just go have a good time and try to beat your own times, no one elses....

10-Youll probably hate your tires after the first 'go'...I know I did...but keep your stockers...mine are actually Pilot HX MXM4's, worse than stock dunlops...shitty tires make you a better drive, sticky tires just cover up your mistakes....Leave your car stock until your last 3 times of every event are virtually the same.

EDIT:
a couple more
11- IF you happen to loose control, remember that the car will go where your eyes go, if you spin out, pick a spot of open asphalt and stare at it, do not look for the curb, for the light standard or whatever, the car will go where your eyes tell it go..its a weird psychological thing...
12- Always look ahead...as your going through a gat, your eyes should be on the next gate, or slighty passed it, planning your route....

Edit #2:
I noticed in your sig it says 12" subs.....I highly suggest you remove those. They aren't a big fan of 'loose' stuff in your car here. I always take my spare tire and jack out too...

That is all I can think of for now, enjoy the passion!
Great advise couldn't put it better myself.

Advice 13) when your working a station, watch the lines that some of the more experience drivers take, especially ones that drive a similar car like Integras SRT-4's and other LSJ's pay attention on where other drivers mess up at, good luck

"Begginners can drive fast in a straight line, while intermediates can master the corners, but truely advanced drivers make their own lines to get ahead!"

Rye Takahashi....Initial D

1991 Acura NSX
2004 Ion Redline GM stage 2 Sold
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Weee that was fun!!!!! Holy Cow! I made a 3 second improvement overall as stock in novice. Not much more than I could ask for than that. I had trouble in turn 4 right after we had a HUGE oil slick in the first heat. A lot of people were having a lot of trouble sticking it back in the there too. I attribute it more to my inexperiance than the oil though because some of us had trouble and others of course had no problem at all. I only hit 1 cone all day and my final time was 61.08 my friend running an S2000 (I know it's a differant class, but we were of course running against each other personally) best time was 60.35. So I was teasing him for not kicking my ass like he was talking.

As for the advice I got got there bright and early. I wasn't the fastest by any means, but I wasn't the slowest, finished right in the middle of the pack and I got complemented on my starts. First run was a high 64, and I got down to my 61. 2nd gear works worked perfectly and I never had to ever think about leaving it, that helped a lot out 2nd is so wide. I got smoother and faster as the day progressed. There wasn't a spec of duct in my car and took my subs out before racing.

But it was a blast, first run was 64, 2nd was 62+1 and then 62, then my 61. All in all a good race. I want to get new wheels, and I'll get some tires for this put on my stockers. Nothing racing, just a new set of tires at first. I'm not sure how fast I even went, as I'm sure you guys know you never look at your gauges. Just started, moved to 2nd and play the clutch/break/gas. Never looked at my dash.

2007 Ion Red Line
Itching to mod . . . .

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 10:13 AM

glad u had fun. keep at it and your times will get even better

"Begginners can drive fast in a straight line, while intermediates can master the corners, but truely advanced drivers make their own lines to get ahead!"

Rye Takahashi....Initial D

1991 Acura NSX
2004 Ion Redline GM stage 2 Sold
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeOfEvil
Weee that was fun!!!!!

But it was a blast, first run was 64, 2nd was 62+1 and then 62, then my 61. All in all a good race. I want to get new wheels, and I'll get some tires for this put on my stockers. Nothing racing, just a new set of tires at first. I'm not sure how fast I even went, as I'm sure you guys know you never look at your gauges. Just started, moved to 2nd and play the clutch/break/gas. Never looked at my dash.
Wow, man, I'm glad you had fun, Reading that post made me miss it soo much.

Please take what I am about to say with a grain of salt. Do not get new tires for a while. I know you are making improvements, and that is awesome, but keeping the 'shitty' tires for 4-5 more events will really improve your racing ability. Learning to control and drive an overpowered car will make you a better racer. With tires, it will just mask any driving mistakes you currently make. I spent a full season racing on my pilot HX MXM4's...real shitty tires for racing, just all-season radials. My last event of the year, i started with a 63.xx, and the other 6 runs were all in the 61's with my best being a 61.065,....i was getting pretty consistent times by the end of the season.

I highly recommend waiting it out before buying tires, don't get me wrong tires are a great investment, but you will learn more on your stockers than on r-comps.

My spring 08 set-up; stock RL rims (faily light for 17's at ~20lbs each, plus i don't get added points) and nitto nt-01's, toyo RA-1's (i think discontinued, may get a deal) R888's, i donno, something super sticky...
I will be getting 18's for daily driving...

Again, glad you enjoyed yourself! That is the MOST important part.

• VELCRO - Eibach Pro-kit, Progress Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Coppertop_01's subframe brace, PowerGridInc sway-bar end links, Azenis RT-615s (215/40/17)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Only getting tires because they are at 18k miles out of their 30k. by the time i get the new wheels and tires these will be almost dead. Just going to get a new set of the dunlops. nothing special. because i don't want to risk a blow out at the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periodic
Wow, man, I'm glad you had fun, Reading that post made me miss it soo much.

Please take what I am about to say with a grain of salt. Do not get new tires for a while. I know you are making improvements, and that is awesome, but keeping the 'shitty' tires for 4-5 more events will really improve your racing ability. Learning to control and drive an overpowered car will make you a better racer. With tires, it will just mask any driving mistakes you currently make. I spent a full season racing on my pilot HX MXM4's...real shitty tires for racing, just all-season radials. My last event of the year, i started with a 63.xx, and the other 6 runs were all in the 61's with my best being a 61.065,....i was getting pretty consistent times by the end of the season.

I highly recommend waiting it out before buying tires, don't get me wrong tires are a great investment, but you will learn more on your stockers than on r-comps.

My spring 08 set-up; stock RL rims (faily light for 17's at ~20lbs each, plus i don't get added points) and nitto nt-01's, toyo RA-1's (i think discontinued, may get a deal) R888's, i donno, something super sticky...
I will be getting 18's for daily driving...

Again, glad you enjoyed yourself! That is the MOST important part.

2007 Ion Red Line
Itching to mod . . . .

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeOfEvil
Only getting tires because they are at 18k miles out of their 30k. by the time i get the new wheels and tires these will be almost dead. Just going to get a new set of the dunlops. nothing special. because i don't want to risk a blow out at the race.
that is a pretty legit reason....
Check out this site....I know they the tires are not for our car, and those are some good r-comp tires, not too expensive at all. (I had made a post on a local cobalt club about a group buy, wanting 1100 for these tires..(these are less than 500)..aha, I just hit paste into here for you...change tire size to 215/45/17, and itll give you some AWESOME deals on tires.)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/225-4...9737QQtcZphoto

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in