scca solo class!??? - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

scca solo class!???

hey all,ive recently taken some baby steps into the auto x scca circuit here in florida..still trying to get a handle on the class that i should be running.i have a stage 2 with 2.8 pulley,cobra h/e,strut brace,rear sway bar,zzp header/downpipe and 2.5 inch exhaust..running street tires right now..any ideas?..i ran STX last weekend and was novice prior to that.any thoughts on my class?.what class are you all running and what are your mods?? thanks much ..colm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Talking

bump!!!!!!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 08:40 AM

I just did some research on this myself, I've got a copy of the rules right here on my desk... hang on...

STX doesn't allow smaller supercharger pulleys, or upgraded intercooler/aftercoolers. Also, it doesn't allow bigger fuel injectors. Retuning is okay, using the stock computer. Headers/downpipes are okay as long as they're street legal. Strut bars and sway bars are fine.

DSP doesn't allow smaller supercharger pulleys. They DO allow intercooler upgrades, fuel injection upgrades, subframe braces, R-compound tires, and everything else that STX allows as well.

Basically, according to the rules, if you swap a smaller pulley on the car, and you're on street tires, you're automatically in SM (Street Mod) where you will get your @ss handed to you. If you're running race rubber, then you'll go into DP where you will still get your @ss handed to you.

My suggestion: If you want to be fair, buy a 3.4" pulley ring, and run in either STX or DSP. You might get away with injectors in STX if nobody contests you.

Evil Silver and Black Horde #2 Evil Underling
"Non-Performance-Owned Redline Rehabilitation Team" - Founder

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 09:01 AM

Welcome to SM.........

Do I hear R compounds en route? UPS on the way yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 09:12 AM

Just to give you an idea, I've only run the car in DS so far (cause it was factory stock).

There's two schools of thought here. Mod it how you like it, and run in what ever class you land in... or mod the car to a specific class' rule set. I don't have the money to do the second, so I'll mod as I go, and run in whatever class they tell me I'm in. I'm not really a year-round competitor anyway.

However, if you're going to run in SM, you'll want to consider coilovers, and wider wheels and tires to put that power down. There's some really nasty cars in SM around here, just get an idea of who you're running against.

There's a few brands that make 17x8" wheels for our cars, that might be worth it to be able to fit 235's on there. I'll have to do some reading up on that, because STX allows up to a 245 tire.

I could actually go to a stage 1 setup (injectors with stock pulley) and a dual-pass intercooler, and tune the crap out of it and run in DSP. I'd still have to get race tires for that, but if I'm getting extra wheels anyway, it might work.

Evil Silver and Black Horde #2 Evil Underling
"Non-Performance-Owned Redline Rehabilitation Team" - Founder
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 09:48 AM

FunkyStickman is right. Any direct modification to boost levels puts you in SM. A few regions around here have a street tire street modified class. You might want to look into that. I have been able to be relatively competitive in in SM locally.

If you are just starting out, don't worry about winning. Especially in SM. Don't worry about doing certain mods to be faster. The driver is 80% of solo. Just go out there on what you got and learn.

What tires are you running?

'04 RL, Pedder's XA coilovers

Last edited by alredline04; 06-27-2008 at 09:51 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:09 AM

Also wanted to ad that a Harness is the best thing to get second to tires.

'04 RL, Pedder's XA coilovers

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:15 PM

I run in STX since I don't have S2 yet but I have looked at a PAX times and there are SM cars I beet and a lot of STX/STU cars I beet. Just cause your in SM doesn not mean you will get your @ss handed to you. But for the first season don't worry about winning, stop moding your car and learn how it handels. Once you know the car then start moding.

If I get used to envying others those parts of myself that I am proud of will recede from me.
-Stellvia

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Talking

thanks all for your input!..will most likely just run legal and run against the evo's,sti's,and my bud in his xt forester[who won sm this weekend at deland in florida!!!]..i just want to learn my car and how to drive,and of course be an honorable and legal driver! thanks again...colm.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 12:52 PM

Driver wins , not car. But in SM, with drivers being equal, the IRL isn't real competitive.

DS - the IRL Comp is a dark horse that has every chance of winning at nationals (at least before the new Cobalt hit the scene, LOL) with the right shocks and driver. I'm not on a national level yet, but this car freaks people out when they've driven or ridden with me and then they see the current DS PAX factor, LMAO!

I think it's a SERIOUSLY underestimated car in STX, too. That's where I'll be headed next season.

I mod to class, 'cuz I autocross a lot and trophies matter to me. If what you want to do to the car is more important to you than autocorss (like most people, lol), just land where you land, ahve a ton of fun, and don't worry about winning.

FunkyStickMan - I'm on 245/40/17 Hoosiers in DS, they rub a tad but they're fine. With a not-drsastic drop (I'm looking at Eiback Pro Kit) in STX, 245/40/17's or 245/45/16's (lighter) should be just fine. 245/35/18's should be okay as well in theory. If somebody made a 245/35/17 (not likely, lol) I'd be all over it for STX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaJaguar5
I try and get with as many dudes as possible when I'm out on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4ckler
I miss the days when people weren't emo and just hung themselves instead of bitching on youtube....
RIP "Sally" - Pacific Blue 2005 Ion Redline Comp Pack

14.8 @ 96 mph, 2.3 second 60' - 100% stock on stock tires, 85 degrees out at 2200 ft altitude...

207 whp, 187 wtq, 100% stock uncorrected numbers on a mustang dyno...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in