Post your Auto-x setups, and discuss! - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Post your Auto-x setups, and discuss!

Okay, here's the "general Ion autocrossing" thread.

Currently, because I wanted to buy Kuhmos desparately (but wound up not having enough money for wheels too) I'm stuck with the General Exclaim UHP all-seasons. And since my only mods are a rear strut bar and poly motor mounts, I ran in STX.

I just came back from an event Saturday, and I had a blast. I'm friends with the DS guys, too... I was up against a well-prepped Civic Si with sticky tires, a Cooper S turbo (noob driver), and a few others. My nemesis in DS drives a BMW 330ci with sticky tires, and he handily beat me by a couple of seconds... but not as badly as last time. The civic got me by around 3 seconds... almost everybody else in DS or STX (and some in SM) was behind me.

I'll have wait till results are posted to be sure, but for driving a 99% stock car with all-seasons, I did really well. My next purchase for the car might as well be really nice tires, cause the UHP's ain't gonna hold up for long under that kind of abuse. Maybe if I run across a few hundred extra bucks, I can finally get the wheels and tires and run in DSP... but the only main advantage of that over STX is injectors, subframe braces, and intercooler upgrades. However, my car (stock) is capable of smoking the tires on takeoff, and the ABS goes nuts when I stand on the brakes... the UHP's obviously aren't up to the task. They're the weak link... nothing else will really help until I get that fixed.

Someone brought up an interesting point about using the stage 1/2 flash and adjusting the injector constant to keep the stock 32# injectors... has anybody tried this? I'm willing to give it a shot, it should be a straightforward process. Just copy the injector constant from the stock tune, and paste it into the Stage 2 one?

Evil Silver and Black Horde #2 Evil Underling
"Non-Performance-Owned Redline Rehabilitation Team" - Founder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:37 PM

Talking

ive got a stage 2 with 2.8 pulley,rear sway bar,front strut bar and a cobra h/e.im running on my street goodyear f1's whice are awesome for my level[ive been running novice],apparently i will be entering the race with the 'big boys' next time out. serious research revealed that i will be running SM[STREET MODIFIED], because of my tune/pulley size. thats the same class as the sti and the evo from what i can tell. im not planning on being super competitive in the class but will certainly aim to get faster/better!..colm.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:40 PM

ive had kumhos and i know several people that have or had there tires and i have nothing good to say about them.

2004 Saturn Ion Redline (Totaled 10/1/09)
1996 Infiniti G20(Totaled by a F**kin Plane! 12/22/10)
The New: 2004 Infiniti G35 sedan

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversatrn
ive got a stage 2 with 2.8 pulley,rear sway bar,front strut bar and a cobra h/e.im running on my street goodyear f1's whice are awesome for my level[ive been running novice],apparently i will be entering the race with the 'big boys' next time out. serious research revealed that i will be running SM[STREET MODIFIED], because of my tune/pulley size. thats the same class as the sti and the evo from what i can tell. im not planning on being super competitive in the class but will certainly aim to get faster/better!..colm.
Yeah, the pulley bumps you out of Street Prepared and Street Touring... but you've got street tires, so Street Mod is where you're at.

Depends on who shows up how well you do. Street mod can be a nasty class, because anything goes as long as it's street legal and runs on street tires... you'll get everything from stock gutted cars to full-blown engine-swapped monsters.

And as far as kuhmos, anything is better than what I've got now...

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
Actually, the UHP's are one of the highest rated tires out there in the stock size, for all seasons.

Having used the Kumhos myself, and having multiple customers' cars using the UHP's, I think the UHP's are MUCH better.

Ok, so, like, yeah, umm....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabodah
Actually, the UHP's are one of the highest rated tires out there in the stock size, for all seasons.

Having used the Kumhos myself, and having multiple customers' cars using the UHP's, I think the UHP's are MUCH better.
They're some of the best all-seasons I've ever driven on, and they cost half as much as the nearest competitor. Trust me, if I weren't racing on them, I'd have no complaints. But when everybody else in your class is running barely road legal sticky tires, it's not a fair fight. When I say I need new tires, I'm talking specifically for autocrossing. I'll probably get another set of UHP's for daily driving, they're that good.

I could possibly get another set of UHP's in a much wider size, but if I were going to do that, I'd just as soon get stickier ones to start with.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:35 PM

Set-up in sig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Saturn Ion Redline w/LSD
  • GO - GMPP Stage II, K&N Typhoon, Exedy Hyper Single Clutch + Flywheel Kit
  • VELCRO - Eibach Pro-kit, Progress Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Coppertop_01's subframe brace, PowerGridInc sway-bar end links, Azenis RT-615s (215/40/17)
  • SLOW- Hawks HPS pads, Powerslot slotted rotors
  • SHOW- blacked out, RKSport 3pc Spoiler
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
Yeah, the pulley bumps you out of Street Prepared and Street Touring... but you've got street tires, so Street Mod is where you're at.

Depends on who shows up how well you do. Street mod can be a nasty class, because anything goes as long as it's street legal and runs on street tires... you'll get everything from stock gutted cars to full-blown engine-swapped monsters.

saturn42 has some used khumos....good price; but Hoosier A6 nothing else is better....run option b just the remote reservoir and the bleed line if you dont have the dough that cooling mod will really help you keep what power you have which is about 210 at the wheels - GM were conservative in their HP ratings and HOnda and Toyota were optimistic (lied)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabodah

hmm gotta get those mounts finishe tomorrow lol they really rock ran in the rain today no problemo
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 08:44 PM

Talking

oops i forgot to mention my most recent mod in my earlier post...its a zzp header/downpipe with 2.5 inch pipes all the way back with twin resonators/borla muffler...it reduced my low end torque quite a bit and makes it better for the track!...also gave me a lot more midrange for the interstate...probably need a custom tune but who can afford one these days??..colm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in