Smf - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Smf

I know we had a post about this before. I could not find it though.

Has anyone been following the updates in Fast Track?

Looks like it will be a supplemental class next year. It will still be scored under SM at National level events. I guess they want to see what kind of turnout they could get for a FWD SM class before they decide to make it a real class.

I for one like the idea, but am not sure if I will be supporting it by competing in SMF. I have been thinking a lot. I plan on attending nationals in Lincoln next season. I want to be in a class I can be competitive in. SM is not that class. I think I will be prepping my car for DSP. Pretty much all I have to do is remove the SC pulley and I am set.

I need to go over the rule set again, but is stage 2 legal in DSP? I don't believe it is.

The 2.5 pulley is going to be hard to give up lol

'04 RL, Pedder's XA coilovers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alredline04; 12-26-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 05:42 PM

Yea stage 2 is going to put you out of DSP unfortuneately. I would like to think the redlines can compete in SMF, but it just isn't going to happen.

Minimum weight for an SMF Honda with build D16 is going to be 1750lbs, and they can get pretty darn close to that in SM trim. Your minimum weight will be 1800lbs, and there is absolutely no way the redline will see that.

It's pure math, just not going to work unfortuneately. No enough useable power there to make up for the huge weight difference.

--Adam

1993 Saturn SC2 - STS Prepared Autocross Car - AMR Enhanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Drag racing is for fast cars, autocrossing is for fast drivers"
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the closest I have been to an SM civic is 2 seconds. Maybe I could have a better chance with more meat on the corners, I don't know.

Then there is the Hoops, Lieber Evo. I have competed against that car many times. Closest I can get is 4 seconds and that is when he says he was just playing around with new setups lol

I agree minimum weight is impossible. I have given it much thought and it could never happen.

Last edited by alredline04; 12-27-2008 at 09:31 AM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alredline04 View Post
Yeah, the closest I have been to an SM civic is 2 seconds. Maybe I could have a better chance with more meat on the corners, I don't know.

The there is the Hoops, Lieber Evo. I have competed against that car many times. Closest I can get is 4 seconds and that is when he says he was just playing around with new setups lol

I agree minimum weight is impossible. I have given it much thought and it could never happen.
We have even kicked around taking my coupe into SM or SMF to compete with the Civic's we just can't see it being competitive either. You can get pretty darn close on the weight with the s-series, but the front suspension would need a lot of work to compete, and would be borderline SM legal.

--Adam

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 05:20 PM

When I first saw the thread saying "smf" I was thinking "stupid mother fucker" from the Twisted Sister song.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 10:04 AM

More SMF

Quote:
I know we had a post about this before. I could not find it though.

Has anyone been following the updates in Fast Track?

Looks like it will be a supplemental class next year. It will still be scored under SM at National level events. I guess they want to see what kind of turnout they could get for a FWD SM class before they decide to make it a real class.

I for one like the idea, but am not sure if I will be supporting it by competing in SMF. I have been thinking a lot. I plan on attending nationals in Lincoln next season. I want to be in a class I can be competitive in. SM is not that class. I think I will be prepping my car for DSP. Pretty much all I have to do is remove the SC pulley and I am set.

I need to go over the rule set again, but is stage 2 legal in DSP? I don't believe it is.

The 2.5 pulley is going to be hard to give up lol
To quote the January, 2009 BOD:

STREET MODIFIED
- The SMAC feels that the prior proposal for SMF did not receive enough support to be considered for a national class at this
time

The SMAC would like to propose the following for a possible SMF provisional class for 2009:

- SMF would encompass ALL FWD cars under the current SM weight formula: 1550 lbs + 125 lbs/liter Note that this would make the minimum weight for an Ion to be 1800 lbs -- we'd be carrying a 1000 lb weight disadvantage!

- All SM rules will apply, with the following exceptions: Cars running in SMF using tires with a nominal width of 275 or less will NOT receive the weight break as stated in SM. FWD vehicles originally classed in SSM (formerly known as SM2) add 100 lbs to min weights.

- This class would be a supplemental class that will run with SM at the Solo Nationals. SM-eligible cars will be eligible for and counted within SM for contingency, trophies, etc.

You're correct that the pulley puts you out of DSP, but here's some interesting DSP 'food-for-thought'':

* American Racing makes a really ugly 18" X 8.5" wheel with a 35mm offset for the 5 x 110 pattern -- on which you could mount either:

* the new Hoosier 255/35 x 18 A6s (10.3" of tread on the ground, 24.8" diameter, 10.8" max width -- which means that it's only 1/4" wider inside than the 225/40 x 17 Hoosiers I've been running -- recommended for rims 8.5"-10" wide),

* or even BFG R1s in 265/35 x 18 (about 10.6" tread on the ground, 25" diameter, only 0.1 mm max width larger than the Hoosiers, recommended for rims 9"-11").

Remember, the old stock Dunlops (apparently not longer made in 215/45 x 17 -- I just checked on Tire Rack), are 24.6" in diameter. So either of these wheel/tire combinations would be very satisfactory in DSP or SM...

Just trying to stay ahead of the competition!

Scott
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Good info Scott

I will have to look into those American Racing wheels. Is this it, AR37388552 AMERICAN ROGUE
Not completely terrible.

Do you guy's think the RL could have what it takes to take on the 3 series in DSP? They seem pretty dominate.

Last edited by alredline04; 12-28-2008 at 12:48 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottherbert View Post
* the new Hoosier 255/35 x 18 A6s (10.3" of tread on the ground, 24.8" diameter, 10.8" max width -- which means that it's only 1/4" wider inside than the 225/40 x 17 Hoosiers I've been running -- recommended for rims 8.5"-10" wide)
That is definitely not enough tire for an SM prep Redline.

--Adam

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Good info Scott

I will have to look into those American Racing wheels. Is this it, AR37388552 AMERICAN ROGUE
Not completely terrible.

Do you guy's think the RL could have what it takes to take on the 3 series in DSP? They seem pretty dominate.
Yes, I think a RL could take on the BMMRs. And, there's active discussion about removing the BMWs from D and moving them up to CSP.

Scott
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkob32 View Post
That is definitely not enough tire for an SM prep Redline.

--Adam

I agree -- somewhat -- but there are larger tires available from Hoosier and BFG -- thsi biggest issue becomes finding a wheel of sufficient width with the 5 x 110 pattern. Granted, you can get custom wheels (I've looked hard for some 17 x 10s or 18 x 10s in our bolt pattern and I can't afford the costs), or you can have the pattern re-drilled to something more common, or you can just stick wider tires on rims that aren't quite wide enough...

I've considered the latter and have concluded that keeping all of the tread on the ground much of the time is more important than sheer width -- but I can be wrong. I know people who have put Hoosier 275/40 x 17s on a 7.5" wide rim -- but they aren't sure it really did them any good. The biggest problem with all of this is wheels -- wide wheels that will still clear our struts or coil-overs.

Other selections from Hoosier if you really want to go big:

275/35ZR18 -- 9.5" minimum rim -- 10.3" tread -- 25.5" diameter

285/30ZR18 -- 10" minimum rim -- 10.9" tread -- 24.9" diameter (probably the best option)

295/30ZR18 -- 10" minimum rim -- 10.8" tread -- 25.3" diameter

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in