Decal Idea...(thought anyways...) - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Decal Idea...(thought anyways...)

Well, here is the history being my post;
When I first started autocrossing 2 years ago, I started the first day putting numbers on my car with shoe polish...hah. The next event I brought a roll of painters masking tape to put numbers on my rear windows.
Last summer, mid-season, I pm'ed a fellow on here, I beleive it is the guy from michigan, with silver car, and black wheels, with the hitch for his racing rack in the back, concerning his vinyl decals on the side of his car. He linked me to soloperformance.com (or something like that) where you could buy a heavy duty sheet of vynil, at any colour, and cut your own numbers. The good thing, is that these are reuseable...sort of. You reallly have to tend to them, and I only got 4 events per set of numbers, and they were partically falling off. This could partially be due to the fact that I cut 4.5"x1" strips with 90* points, and used these to make each number (think digital clock). Eitherway, I love the way this looks, just it takes a while to setup, and remove; feel like i am picking away at my paint.

Now here is where this post gets interesting; at least for me.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a pre-made magnetic number oval?..

Now; you must think I am nuts...Plastic panls+magnets...damn canadians, eh?

Anyways; here is my thought; buy thin strip magnets and some thin double sided tape. Find a way to access the back of the door panel (remove the inside panel, window up, *should* give me access). Tape the magnets to the backside of the plastic panel, in a way that their polarity will attract to the polarity of the magnet number oval. I hope you can follow this.

I'd like to hear some thoughts before I start digging into/ripping apart my car, and spending money on magnets ect. What are your thoughts my fellow RedLiners???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Saturn Ion Redline w/LSD
  • GO - GMPP Stage II, K&N Typhoon, Exedy Hyper Single Clutch + Flywheel Kit
  • VELCRO - Eibach Pro-kit, Progress Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Coppertop_01's subframe brace, PowerGridInc sway-bar end links, Azenis RT-615s (215/40/17)
  • SLOW- Hawks HPS pads, Powerslot slotted rotors
  • SHOW- blacked out, RKSport 3pc Spoiler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 PM

jsut take off the outer door skin.....would be much easier than the door panel. Just a torx and, if you have one, a drill. 30 secs max.

but thats a great idea....i was wondering how to do the same thing for a business i'm thinking of starting!!! if this works for you.....i'm def gonna get my signage made up on a magnet!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<---Click for CarDomain Site
#1 Owner of Clear Corners
#1 Owner of a 5 Seater RL (06 'balt SS/SC Black/Red Leather Rear Seats)

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:19 PM
sold my body 4 turbo parts, but im still slow

why don't you just use window marker on your sidepanel? lol.
just wondering if theres a reason you wouldn't but it looks like you want it for a temporary number placement?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaHater View Post
jsut take off the outer door skin.....would be much easier than the door panel. Just a torx and, if you have one, a drill. 30 secs max.
duhhhh =>idiot...haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaHater View Post
but thats a great idea....i was wondering how to do the same thing for a business i'm thinking of starting!!! if this works for you.....i'm def gonna get my signage made up on a magnet!!!
Thanks; any electromagnetism experts wanna chime in? Think these magnets would stay bound through the plastic?? I am thinking that since sheet metal is not naturally magnetized; that the spacial difference between the two magnets would make up for the one magnet vs metal....thought? For discussion purposes, I don't want the magnets to fall off mid-event, have a marshall miss it, and have another competitor hit the magnet on course at speed; this could be VERY dangerous.

• VELCRO - Eibach Pro-kit, Progress Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Coppertop_01's subframe brace, PowerGridInc sway-bar end links, Azenis RT-615s (215/40/17)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:23 PM

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daythecountrydied21 View Post
why don't you just use window marker on your sidepanel? lol.
just wondering if theres a reason you wouldn't but it looks like you want it for a temporary number placement?
Because that looks ghetto...and cheap...

Yes it is for temporary number placement; and would love something like this...
eDecals.com Custom Oval and Circle Magnetic Door Number Kits

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
wow awesome site, looks like some powerfull shit! haha

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:29 PM

do you have a magnet there with you lol? i'd go see if/where it will stick now just magnetized, you never know haha.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
do you have a magnet there with you lol? i'd go see if/where it will stick now just magnetized, you never know haha.
Just shit off the fridge; the car is 100-150feet away, in 2' deep snow (where there arent drifts), and it is -22*C, right now. Am not going outside haha

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 05:52 PM

Neat idea. I don't see why it could not work. how bout multiple small magnets fastened to the inside of the door panels somehow (epoxy). The other thing with using magnetic numbers is that I think you run a greater risk scratching the paint.

As an a example. I finally had it with the way the front a rear doors don't match. When I look out my side mirror the body lines do not match up. I solved the problem by gluing shims the door panels and metal shell. Worked awesome.

I hunger for better looking numbers also. Might not seem like a big deal to some, but if I am gonna win I wanna look good...well at least the car. I even have considered permanent. I certainly race the car enough.

'04 RL, Pedder's XA coilovers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in