Stage 1/2 and autox class - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Stage 1/2 and autox class

HI all,
What SCCA autocross class does the GMPP stage 1/2 put the Redline/Coablt SS/SC in? What is the general competition. Does the stage 1/2 modifications put the redline/cobalt ss/sc into a class with no chance of winning? Just curious...

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyD View Post
HI all,
What SCCA autocross class does the GMPP stage 1/2 put the Redline/Coablt SS/SC in? What is the general competition. Does the stage 1/2 modifications put the redline/cobalt ss/sc into a class with no chance of winning? Just curious...

Thanks,
Stage 1 will put you in DSP, but also allows free intercooler upgrades. You'll need very sticky tires and a good suspension setup to be competitive there.

Stage 2 puts you in Street Mod (or Street Mod FWD if your region does that class) which again pits you against cars with twice your horsepower. If they do SMF, do that, you've got a much better chance there. SM is where the modded EVO's and STI's play... need I say more.

Evil Silver and Black Horde #2 Evil Underling
"Non-Performance-Owned Redline Rehabilitation Team" - Founder
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 01:21 PM

rock the stock class like me man

Turtle racing becase some times the Turtle catches the hare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Warning Turtle Bites Im gona get me a cone

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEM_Reject View Post
Move over cobra, here comes the tupperware.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:51 PM

I believe you can run STX legally with stage one. Although I have not follow STX rule in a while. That is if you wanna run street tires.

'04 RL, Pedder's XA coilovers

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=FunkyStickman;738501]Stage 1 will put you in DSP, but also allows free intercooler upgrades. You'll need very sticky tires and a good suspension setup to be competitive there.QUOTE]

I'm running a Stage 1 in DSP with a K&N filter and a Magnaflow 2.5" ID muffler. On the suspension and tires side, I have an SPS strut brace, Progress springs, Koni adjustables, Progress rear swaybar, URaceCars subframe connectors (presently bolted, but I think I'll weld them this summer -- the rules say you can weld the connections to the "subframe" but not the pan), the rear wheels are shimmed to 1.5 degrees of negative camber and the fronts are adjusted to 1.5 degrees of negative, and I'm currently waiting on a set of 18" x 8.5" rims with Hoosier A6 255/35 x 18 tires on them.

These are in route now -- the inside story is that Hoosier made these as 265/275s but changed the markings to compete in a spec-tire category that's limited to 255s-- so these 255s are exactly as wide, 10.3", as the older Hooser 275s. According to Hoosier, the 255s will fit on an 8.5" rim and they're only 24.8" in diameter -- the stock 215/45 x 17s are 24.6" in diameter -- almost perfect! I also have a set of Falken Azenis 615s (245/45) on 7.5" wide 17" rims to save the slicks and to act as 'rain tires' for events in the rain. These Falkens are 9.1" wide on the ground.

The only concern right now is that the 18" wheels might be a little close to the struts -- like rubbing maybe. If so, then I'll get 2.5" or 3.0" wheel studs and buy some 1/2" wheel spacers. If I need spacers, I could even run Hoosier 285/30 x 18s which would 10.9" of rubber on the ground.

This past weekend I watched a fellow DSP competitor (he has been competing in STX for several years) in a Golf R32 -- a V6 with about 270 horse, weighs about 3300 lbs, all-wheel drive, coil-overs, sways, all custom suspension components, with 1.5" spacers running Hoosier 285/30 x 18s -- it was truly awesome to watch! And the local DS Acura ITR guy who always places in the SCCA Nationals, has decided to move up to DSP this year.

So I guess it won't be boring in DSP this year! I think I'd like boring... I'm planning to run in two National Tour events and the Nationals this year. I think I'll need lots of luck!

Scott
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:33 PM

Talking

im running SM [STREET MODIFIED] here in central florida scca territory. im actually running on street tires but not competitive against the sti/evo,race tire cars. still i leave with a big smily face each race though.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:34 PM

Scott, What did you use to shim the rears?

I am hopeful to make a trip to Lincoln this year also....totally under prepared of course lol

'04 RL, Pedder's XA coilovers

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alredline04 View Post
Scott, What did you use to shim the rears?

I am hopeful to make a trip to Lincoln this year also....totally under prepared of course lol
I went to my friendly local tire/alignment shop and they bought shims that fit. The spec from Saturn says that 0.8 degrees of negative is 'standard' but that you can go + or - 0.75. That works out nicely to 1.5 of negative total -- and even for DSP they say that the rear shimming can't go beyond factory specs.

They could also crank in a tiny bit of toe out if you wanted...

Scott
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
rock the stock class like me man
I hear you... I used to have the mentality that I was going to stick with the stock class with my pervious cars... but then found myself wanting to tweak and disregarded the stock class so I could enjoy the car on the street. Which is where it is driven 98% of the time.

Reason I ask.... is that I have a stage2 kit put together in my basement (awaiting installation). Also, I am not planning on any suspension mods (due to our wonderful Michigan roads) since my car is a daily driver.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 PM

I'm in the same boat, power mods are ridiculously cheap compared to suspension and tire setups on this car. I mean, come on, $150 for a pair of brake rotors? $800 for adjustable strut inserts and shocks?? $600 for good new tires, at least. I'll have a stage 2 setup on my car for less than $500.

It's a tough call, but like you said, when you daily drive it 99% of the time, I just can't see spending $2000+ for a setup I might need two to three times a year. Granted, I've got a family and a regular job. If I were single and had disposable income, I would consider it...

Last season I only had a rear lower strut bar and polyurethane tranny mounts, and I ran in STX with General Exclaim UHP's. I was getting stomped by guys in DS with just R-comps. Funny thing was there was one guy in STX who had a hot setup Civic Si, everybody else was like me: very slightly modded with street tires. I did fairly well against the street tire guys, but I couldn't beat the slowest car with R-comps (a Mazda 3 in HS, with an auto!)

Evil Silver and Black Horde #2 Evil Underling
"Non-Performance-Owned Redline Rehabilitation Team" - Founder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in