Vids from Lime Rock Park 6/17/2010 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Vids from Lime Rock Park 6/17/2010

Tranced and I attended CartCT's Lime Rock Park track day event. Unfortunately, I was the only one actually driving. This is my second time on a track (the first was two years ago at New Hampshire Motor Speedway) and the second of four 20 minute sessions for the day. I tried to get video of the fourth session, but the camera batteries quit just as I was leaving the pits.

Later in the day, I did pass that gray Audi A4 2.0T. he claimed 300 whp. I also passed an e39 BMW M5 and I was all over a Porsche Carrera 4S in the curves, but he wasn't about to let me pass him on the front straight!

I was cutting 1:10-1:12 second lap times pretty consistently, with a fast unofficial time of 1:09 in this session. I was officially timed at 1:10 during a 3-lap time trial after session 3.

watch for the early apex at the downhill onto the front straight that leads to a pretty dramatic drift about 4:30 into video 2!

Part 1:

Part 2:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 09:28 PM

Wow GC, there is so many great things to say about this! First of all - major KUDOS to you! I just finished watching both vids in their entirety and they were great.

First of all, what a great circuit. A good amount of difficulty but certainly drivable by a wide range of skill levels. That right-left complex really gives your tires a run for their money, I could hear them screaming from up here in Canada! And that little upward hump where there is slight decompression looks like fun, it by the sound of your engine it seemed like you took a slight bit of air a few times!

Camera work was brilliant, not sure how you have it set up but it felt like a true onboard race cam. It would be cool if they had some external cameras so we could see your RL diving and leaning into the turns, especially that right-left complex.

I also like the mix of cars that were racing. Not sure what the class requirements were, seeing as all the cars racing seemed to be all over the map. Found myself cheering for you, URGING you to get past that damn Miata! Impressive though, out of all the passing you did, you only got passed once and it was right after your back end stepped out. Kind of surprising though, didn't think a vintage Mustang would be able to outhandle the suspension of a modified RL.

And finally, I have to thank you because you've made me truly proud to own an ION QC (even if it isn't a RL). To see what this car is capable of is just astounding. And as for your driving style, it was beautiful - great lines, and very smooth (just like Speed Racer in the 2008 movie!). You approached the turns with excellent angles and could hold closer than everyone I saw in front of you. Being a HUGE F1 fan (I just came back from watching the Canadian Grand Prix last weekend) I am so stoked to see a RL duking it out on a road course. No disrespect to the many here that drag or street race, but for me, road course racing is the most elegant and sophisticated form of racing. To see the top line of the car I am driving perform like this was amazing!

Well, I may eventually have to deviate from being a poser and actually begin performance mods in the future. Keep up the good fight GC, show the world what RLs can do!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 09:29 PM

good job. love lime rock.. i know a few of the guys who are the head of the club committee.

by the way, the 4s ya were chasing down.. did it have NY plates?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 09:33 PM

And one other thing: even though you were passed by that red vintage Mustang, you totally lapped that white 80s gaystang - so everything balances out!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 10:09 PM

I love 1:50 on the second video.

the mustang was getting winded it on the straits. I was surprised as it didn't have much body roll. the absolute only reason the mustang passed was because GC easily lost 20mph in the most strategic corner of the track.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

check out some of my work

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGEOUS View Post

Camera work was brilliant, not sure how you have it set up but it felt like a true onboard race cam. It would be cool if they had some external cameras so we could see your RL diving and leaning into the turns, especially that right-left complex.
ill have to see what I got.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 10:23 PM

and the ride home

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 10:31 PM

^^noice!

Last edited by RAGEOUS; 06-18-2010 at 10:34 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

I have some pics that tranced took that i haven't loaded up yet.

thank you for the compliments. practice group C was actually a novice group. there were 12-14 of us. i feel like i was really hanging with anything that still had street tires on it. there were a few guys in the run group that had r-comps that i wasn't going to catch.

that white miata was like my counterpoint. he slipped away as i fought through the turns, but my horsepower down the front straight would reel him back in. i never got close enough to pass him completely, though, so whenever i ended up behind him, i slowed a little to give him space. he drove the line better than i did too, so it was nice to follow him.

i was setting up to pass that white mustang at the end of video two when they black flagged us to come in.

the 4S DID have ny plates. it was fun to be behind him, looking at those massive steamroller 305 series tires, but he was clearly a little bit cautious of going over the curbing (that i know actually helps you turn) and a little cautious of careening into the corners with as much abandon as i did. i felt faster than him until we hit that front straight and then off he went, opening up probably 5 car lengths. we caught up to a e36 M3 and the three of us dueled for a lap very evenly and then i pitted to give those two some space. clearly the 4S was not going to let me pass him on the straights and i was being held up behind him in the curves. when they let me back out onto the track, i ended up behind that gray A4 with the left taillight out that you see pit in the video. i passed him.

i wonder what i would have done with R-comps and better brakes!

oh, and the camera is mounted to a suction cup GPS mount. i bought a RAM mount for my GPS, so it's bolted into the useless shallow cupholder where i have easy access to the screen, it's not blocking any windshield, and it is less likely to be stolen.

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.

Last edited by golden chicken; 06-19-2010 at 01:20 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 03:22 AM

are you on stock brakes?
I was going to ask how the brakes felt through all that...
Your on a 2.9 right? What about iat2's with all that slowing and wot?
Im actualy going to try to get into this as i have my brakes up to par i hope.

2012 Nissan Frontier SL
Heated Leather sure is nice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in