Setting up for SCCA Learning Curve (noobie) - Page 5 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 03:25 AM

There are a whole bunch of Eagle F1 GS-D3's in that size floating around. I went through 2 sets before I started on the Nangkangs.

They are NOS (New Old Stock) that's being cleared out, and there are still a bunch out there. Just make sure they're in good shape when the arrive, as some of the build dates go back as far as 2005. $250 is a little optimistic, $350 or so for a set of 4 seems to be the going rate right now. That's a steal, they're great tires - especially in the wet, arguably the best true performance tire ever made for hydroplaning resistance.

They aren't so good in corners, strangely enough. The sidewalls on the F1's are really soft, and when cornering at speed they will flex BADLY. You can feel it start to "hop" on the sidewall, very unsettling. This is why I stopped buying them - in Vegas, I need the wet performance like I need a cavity search - never. I ride the hell out of ramps at night, so the sidewalls DO matter, lol.

Plus, with my alignment I go through s set of 280 treadwear tires in about 6k miles, lol, so the cheap Nankangs - which corner harder than the F1's oddly enough, maybe not as much raw grip but MUCH more confidence inspiring to their limit, are my choice because frankly $236 shipped for 4 tires means $1,000 a year on street rubber instead of $1,400 to $2,400. Which means I can afford R-comps for auto-x and track days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaJaguar5
I try and get with as many dudes as possible when I'm out on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4ckler
I miss the days when people weren't emo and just hung themselves instead of bitching on youtube....
RIP "Sally" - Pacific Blue 2005 Ion Redline Comp Pack

14.8 @ 96 mph, 2.3 second 60' - 100% stock on stock tires, 85 degrees out at 2200 ft altitude...

207 whp, 187 wtq, 100% stock uncorrected numbers on a mustang dyno...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

$250 is a little optimistic, $350 or so for a set of 4 seems to be the going rate right now.

FYI, $248 plus $55 shipping
4 NEW 235 40 ZR 17 INCH GOODYEAR EAGLE TIRES 2354017 - eBay (item 200587230320 end time Mar-22-11 19:51:42 PDT)

The thought is pure ambiguous

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 11:42 AM

$89 shipped all thee way to me, but still - good deal! If the extra $100 for the set doesn't matter to you and you need the wet performance (most people not in the middle of the fucking Mojeve Desert will, lol) I would highly recommend them. Unless you take freeway ramps at triple digit speeds late at night, in which case I would say STAY AWAY, lol.

Quote:
Quote:
I miss the days when people weren't emo and just hung themselves instead of bitching on youtube....

14.8 @ 96 mph, 2.3 second 60' - 100% stock on stock tires, 85 degrees out at 2200 ft altitude...

post #44 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 03:19 PM
ARM
That guy is awesome ^^^

^^^ then you just need to get 19" rims with a rubber band on them like all4glh so there's no sidewall to roll over lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Black Onyx Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
::slams head into desk::

you can make the ve look like a pair of tits and it will NOT change the way the car runs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droxity
Bacon is made from smoked pork belly. Any and all other "bacons" are charlatans and an insult to pigs everywhere.

It would be like putting a Redline badge on a Honda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRedline
LSD is good.

post #45 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 05:07 PM

Much easier and cheaper just to get tires that actually corner. That solution kinda defeats the point of finding inexpensive rubber, wouldn't you say?

Quote:
Quote:

post #46 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 05:43 PM
ARM
That guy is awesome ^^^

sigh... i suppose your right. i might have to get me a set of those eagles.
can you seriously take onramps over 100 with those nangkangs???

Quote:

you can make the ve look like a pair of tits and it will NOT change the way the car runs
Quote:
Bacon is made from smoked pork belly. Any and all other "bacons" are charlatans and an insult to pigs everywhere.

Quote:
LSD is good.

post #47 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 07:14 PM

I plead the 5th.

Let's just say... Umm... There's a turn at one of the two local racetracks that is a PERFECT replica of a certain log sweeping interchange ramp like the one from the 215 eastbound to the 95 north in Henderson, a ramp marked "45 MPH". At the racetrack, you know, when I go on my street tires, I enter that particular turn at somewhere around 70-80 and if I apex it right - which I always do - I leave it between 110-115. Sure wish I could do that on the real ramp...

They aren't bad tires. Not super badass for sure, but a long way from suckage.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by BigBrother; 03-16-2011 at 07:20 PM.
post #48 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 07:35 PM
ARM
That guy is awesome ^^^

that is theoretically awesome

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
LSD is good.

post #49 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 PM

i am willing to give up ultimate dry cornering grip for the improvement in wet cornering grip that those tires provide, especially at the price.

the f1s perform so closely between wet and dry that you really don't have to change your driving style.

obviously, as bb mentions, if it rains 1/4" in a year where you live, there's far better options out there for you.

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.
post #50 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 01:12 AM

If they had a stiffer sidewall, I'd be all over them again, lol. Or if they were a less grippy compound that gave out just before the sidewalls started to give. But as they are, the grip surpasses the sidewall strength. In a situation like the one described above, the car starts to "wobble" on the sidewalls, and it is frankly a very disturbing - bordering on terrifying, lol - sensation at high speed. If you never push your car past 7 or MAYBE 8 10th's, they're fine.

Quote:
Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in