Setting up for SCCA Learning Curve (noobie) - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Setting up for SCCA Learning Curve (noobie)

FE5 struts - OEM struts are at 90k and probably wouldn't hold up long anyway
Cobalt FE5 Struts and Shock Pkg FE5-S - Crate Engine Depot

Progress Springs (hopefully) otherwise probably Teins
http://www.sportcompactonly.com/Prog...0.htm?pta=9420

Camber Bolts
Dezod Motorsports. Ingalls Engineering Front Camber Kit-Cobalt 05-06 & HHR 06 (1 Kit per wheel; up to +/- 1 degree of adj)

That should be all I need for parts to install struts & springs with an alignment after, right?

I plan on the coppertop brace and a rear sway bar for the future but those aren't in the budget right now.

The thought is pure ambiguous

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:03 PM

uh...what kind of compteition or class do you plan to run in? are you trying to be competitive, or are you just going for the best handling RL you can make?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.
post #3 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

If I were going for the best handling and had the money, I would go full coilovers and fe5 arms, spherical bushings, comp knuckle, etc.

I'm not sure if I'm actually going to participate in any Solo or Solo II events yet but know I do want to have the ability to "track" the car in the future.

I also expect to learn more about the class setups during the Learning Curve event.

Right now I'm just going for bang-for-the buck setup while still maintainning as a daily driver.

Hope that makes sense.

post #4 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:55 PM

rear sway bar is the best bang for the buck. it'll help reduce understeer.

better brakes are the next thing i'd do. if you can brake later, you can stay faster longer.

good rubber is always a must.

if you're going to do shocks and springs, do cobalt tc shocks and pedders springs. you will need to get spacers from 0ttp, but they sell the whole package. with 90k on the clock, you'll probably want to get new strut mounts too.

that's the order i'd do things in if i had to redo it.

post #5 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
rear sway bar is the best bang for the buck. it'll help reduce understeer.

better brakes are the next thing i'd do. if you can brake later, you can stay faster longer.

good rubber is always a must.

if you're going to do shocks and springs, do cobalt tc shocks and pedders springs. you will need to get spacers from 0ttp, but they sell the whole package. with 90k on the clock, you'll probably want to get new strut mounts too.

that's the order i'd do things in if i had to redo it.

hadn't thought about needing to replace the strut mounts, good info thx. Trying to convince the wife to increase the budget a bit so we'll see how that goes

Bought the car used and am told it has **** Stage 1 Axles, Powerstop slotted rotors...not sure what pads and General Exclaim UHP 225/45R17's on stock rims

Is the spring rate/build quality that much better on the Pedder's springs vs. others that are made for the RL? They seem pretty expensive plus I'd need to buy the adapter kit.

Thanks btw GC as I'm completely new to modifying for 4-cyl cars and specifically handling mods...trying to learn

Last edited by Droxity; 03-04-2011 at 05:39 PM.
post #6 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 07:12 PM

The rate is the perfect (so I'm told) match for the ss/tc struts. I have no reason to doubt the person who told me as I highly respect his experience both as a road racer and a builder.

Those exclaims will be your limiting factor in how your car handles currently.

post #7 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

stuck between the practical side of me and the "fun" side. Practical side says 90k on OEM struts + autoX = blown strut so why not just upgrade and while I'm in there get new springs?

Fun side says new stickier meats and rear sway bar and take the risk of blowin a strut....which I suppose means could have a valid reason with the wife cuz then I'll NEED to get them.

Originally it was just gonna be $200'ish just for springs and $70 or so for an alignment...now we're talkin $700 plus more than likely.

Decisions, decisions

post #8 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 08:20 PM

fwiw, i have B&G springs, rear sway bar, front strut brace, hawk hps pads, napa premium rotors, goodyear eagle f1 gs-d3 summer tires and my original struts at 106800+ and i just did a track day back in june with no extra mods other than air pressure adjustment.

my struts are not blown, but they are softer than new ones. they don't bounce all over.

for autocross, i think better tires and a rear sway bar are going to get you better results.

post #9 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

fair nuff...I'm gonna need to make a decision soon...Learning Crurve is Apr 2nd & 3rd. Need to replace my IC pump first before anything...140-150 IAT2's on the street means real problems if I start to push.

Thanks again GC...I'll let you know what I come up with.

post #10 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 08:37 PM

make sure you do a brake fluid flush too. don't want that boiling off right before a turn.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in