Droxity's local SMOD AutoX build - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 421 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Droxity's local SMOD AutoX build

First time I've ever done a build thread for any car but want to have a blueprint of what the plans are. I'm sure this will be somewhat of a moving target as I learn more and will try to add pics as parts get crossed off and installed. I would like to eventually build a locally competitive (Chicago Region) SMOD car that I can also maintain as a reasonable daily driver. Budget will preclude me from participating in as many events as I would like but goal for this year is 2 events in addition to the driver school I already ran. All input welcome. I can guess most will say either build a race car or build a street car for a "stock" class

2004 Ion Redline
Current mileage 92K with 48K on the motor

Biggest competitors in class currently are a turbo 240SX and WRX that both ran in the high 53 to low 54 sec range last event

Current Mods

GM Stage II with 3.0 Pulleyboys pulley and ZZP flash tune
K&N Typhoon CAI
GMPP manifold and exhaust
GMPP Dual-pass with Option B and ZZP parallel mounted H/E
**** Stage I drive axles
Stoptech premium blanks with Hawk HPS pads F&R
Progress Rear Sway bar
B&M STS
Interceptor scan gauge and Autometer boost gauge
upgraded S/C coupler (purchased and awaiting install)
clutch master cylinder - OEM or ZZP adjustable, haven't decided yet

Goals for this year
Rotated engine and trans mounts (to be purchased and installed by qwikredline at CED meet)
Koni Yellows (purchased and awaiting spring swap parts for install) & Cobalt Pedders swap (swap "kit" to be purchased from qwikredline at CED meet)
PRS Hardcore Rear Sway Bar
Powergrid Endlinks
ZZP "upgraded" shifter bracket (purchased and awaiting install)

Future Mods/wish list
OZ Alleggerita (or comparable weight) 17x8 with Hoosier R-comps for event days
LSD trans swap
#60 injectors, 2.8 or 2.9 pulley, custom tune
Griffin H/E with single pass
Phenolic head spacer
Billabong P&P head
Full ZZP 2.5 Exhaust and Long tube header
Custom 3" CAI (Watts-Up?)
CF trunk with integrated lip spoiler
GoPro video cam with headreast mount
FE5 control arms with spherical bushings?
GMPP comp knuckles?
PRS subframe bars?

The thought is pure ambiguous

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Droxity; 06-02-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 421 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:54 PM

Put a camera on the "future" mod list. That way the less fortunate can ride shotgun either here or via youtube for these badass events

Mods: ZZP stage 3, 2.9 pulley, prefab pcm, 60lbers, AEM gauges, KandN CAI, SPEC stage 3+, ZZP S3 heat exchanger
ZZP long tube header, Strut bar, ZZP rear mount, Progress rear sway bar, Redline Tuning hood struts freshly installed.
post #3 of 421 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by recaro86 View Post
Put a camera on the "future" mod list. That way the less fortunate can ride shotgun either here or via youtube for these badass events
added just for you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 421 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 05:49 PM

Sounds very similar to my ongoing build. It has taken a break this year as I am racing a Stock class '10 Cobalt SS. This winter the Saturn Build will continue. Mainly focusing on reliability.

I know on the Pedder's coilover's a rear bar is not needed. It will be interesting to see how the Pedder's Koni combo works for you as I plan on going with custom koni's. Dont know what springs yet.

Should be a blast.

'04 RL, Pedder's XA coilovers

post #5 of 421 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 06:38 PM

Gut dat bish...

I'd move the LSD up the list. Sounds good otherwise.

Blue '04 Redline Best ET Gas:[email protected], E85:13.94 @ 109.17

289 WHP/262 WTQ on E85
K&N CAI, HP Tuned, zzp heat exchanger, 2.8, 80's, zzp header/dp, GMPP clutch, front and rear TTR mounts, Nitto Neogens, Hawk Pads, irotor cross drilled/slotted rotors.
Boost gauge/ladder tach w/o amishland- courtesy Spike50002
post #6 of 421 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Can't edit my original post but here's the latest...Good news is that unexpected windfall at work at the end of July MIGHT move priorities around a bit....IF I can make a deal with the wife.

Previous 04 owner had not returned front mount core in time for Powell to bring the rotated mount to CED so waiting on that.

Purchased swap kit from John at CED and I'm 2/3rd's of way financially to paying for Pedders Springs...had John inspect used Koni's at CED AutoX day and got the green light that they were still intact. John recommends mid-range on the front and 1 turn off full soft in the rear for use with Pedders.

After watching John at AutoX and speaking to him, I'm sold on the XXX bar. I'm also likely to purchase some 235/40r17 Direzza Star Specs for this year so I can get used to running on stickier tires before hopefully moving to 245/40 R-comps and 17x9 30mm offset rims next year.

Second lightbulb from speaking with Powell is the need for further strengthening of the frame due to the lack of the "B" pillar in the redline. Adding bonded subframe braces to the list.

Lastly, I curbed my front mount heat exchanger a couple of weeks ago (like an idiot driving with sandals and foot slipped off the brake pedal pulling into a parking space)and I'm probably just going to rerun dual pass lines to the stock H/E until the Griffin purchase/install if it turns out the ZZP H/E is the cause of the current leak.

Next update post should be with pics of Konis-Pedders combo

post #7 of 421 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 PM

^^^ good plan on track; lsd is a must have....

post #8 of 421 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikredline11 View Post
^^^ good plan on track; lsd is a must have....
Thank you and understood regarding LSD. Please keep me updated re: yet-to-be returned 04 mount core

post #9 of 421 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droxity View Post
Previous 04 owner had not returned front mount core in time for Powell to bring the rotated mount to CED so waiting on that.
I am pretty sure that 0TTP is working on a billet rotated mount for the 04 RL. Just in case your core swap falls through.

Quote:
Purchased swap kit from John at CED and I'm 2/3rd's of way financially to paying for Pedders Springs...had John inspect used Koni's at CED AutoX day and got the green light that they were still intact. John recommends mid-range on the front and 1 turn off full soft in the rear for use with Pedders.
That is a very interesting setup. How did you keep up with John and the SS/TCs at the CED auto cross?

Quote:
Lastly, I curbed my front mount heat exchanger a couple of weeks ago (like an idiot driving with sandals and foot slipped off the brake pedal pulling into a parking space)and I'm probably just going to rerun dual pass lines to the stock H/E until the Griffin purchase/install if it turns out the ZZP H/E is the cause of the current leak.
That is just one of the reason I got rid of my ZZP S3 HE. It is by far the best Front Mount HE out there. But it seems like I was always bumping or hitting something. I have been very pleased with my Griffin HE so far.

06 Silver RL |
|
|
|

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnbracing View Post
broken shit Is par for mcclure
post #10 of 421 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRedline View Post
I am pretty sure that 0TTP is working on a billet rotated mount for the 04 RL. Just in case your core swap falls through..
I'll keep it in mind but much rather work something out with John one way or the other.

Quote:
That is a very interesting setup. How did you keep up with John and the SS/TCs at the CED auto cross?
Didn't run due to leaking stock passenger strut and FMHE...killed me to watch everyone else Honestly, most of the SS/TC's needed driver mod just because of experience level. Shroogis killed em all except for the one who hangs with and buys everything Powell (Loki).

Quote:
That is just one of the reason I got rid of my ZZP S3 HE. It is by far the best Front Mount HE out there. But it seems like I was always bumping or hitting something. I have been very pleased with my Griffin HE so far.
Good to know, you ever get your air dam situation straightened out?

Last edited by Droxity; 06-29-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in