whats hot and whats not - Page 2 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

I built and installed an LSD last year, and your right big difference. I am allready in SMF so thay can't ding me any more.
Is John on here anymore? I have some ideas but I wanted to see what was available first.

2005 blue redline- custom CAI, 2.6 pulley, neutral balance shafts, 80lb injectors, custom crank-8lbs lighter, header, motor mounts, XXX rear bar, dual torque brace, URC subframe rails, Peddars springs, custom exhaust, aem wideband a/f gauge, interceptors, 10.5:1 pistons, ported head, 272 cams, Ti valve trane, ice box, stage 3 clutch, fidenza lightweight flywheel, oversized valves, Fe5 struts, FE5 control arms, studded everything.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

ok, spent a little time and money today so that brings me to the Pedder springs. are they much stiffer than my eibachs? I guess I could use them with my Koni's up front and just order the balt rear shocks to go with them. Sound good?
If I use them with my Koni up front, what modifications will need to be made if any???

2005 blue redline- custom CAI, 2.6 pulley, neutral balance shafts, 80lb injectors, custom crank-8lbs lighter, header, motor mounts, XXX rear bar, dual torque brace, URC subframe rails, Peddars springs, custom exhaust, aem wideband a/f gauge, interceptors, 10.5:1 pistons, ported head, 272 cams, Ti valve trane, ice box, stage 3 clutch, fidenza lightweight flywheel, oversized valves, Fe5 struts, FE5 control arms, studded everything.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice eater View Post
ok, spent a little time and money today so that brings me to the Pedder springs. are they much stiffer than my eibachs? I guess I could use them with my Koni's up front and just order the balt rear shocks to go with them. Sound good?
If I use them with my Koni up front, what modifications will need to be made if any???
It doesn't seem like many manufacturers are publishing spring rates for "proprietary" reasons but the pedders do not coil bind under load like eibachs and other lowering springs. I do know that there's a guy on GMSC running a cobalt looking to go to 450lb springs in the rear but he's a VERY, VERY good track driver and runs his cobalt as a track car only.

Decent thread here for what is required for the cobalt pedders swap to our cars (front only, rear is direct bolt-on)...

https://www.redlineforums.com/forums/...s-redline.html

Actual how to from Qwik (John) on GMSC

Ion to Cobalt spring conversion

I am far from a suspension guru but the biggest issue I have read is getting the car to rotate through corners which requires more overall stiffness --- bonded UCR --- 1.5" rear sway (Powell XXX the best) --- upgraded struts and springs. John also has been working on a new twisting beam for the rear...don't ask me how it works...still learning.

What platforms are major competitors for Street Mod in your region? Chicago is a Turbo 240sx, couple WRX's, and a 3-series Bimmer...uphill battle for me as a novice but I'm determined.

The thought is pure ambiguous

Last edited by Droxity; 07-21-2011 at 07:29 PM.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

240's, wrx for sure and a bad ass supra are the things to beat.
Where are you in chicago? I still have a house up there. Did you ever come to one of our car club events? we had about 70 cars total between us and the srt4's.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
240's, wrx for sure and a bad ass supra are the things to beat.
Where are you in chicago? I still have a house up there. Did you ever come to one of our car club events? we had about 70 cars total between us and the srt4's.
Western burbs (Bloomingdale)...still VERY new to the sport compact scene, just bought my RL back in Dec...always been a "no replacement for displacement" guy but liking my decision to go IRL more every day. (chose it over Focus SVT and SRT4)...Bang for the buck power and handling, it's hard to beat and modifications are relatively inexpensive compared to a lot of other cars.

Went to Pwerks dyno day and CED meet so far this year...met some great people and learning more all the time.

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

ok, I was on the other side in north west Indiana just over the boarder.

Your links helped out a lot, Now I just have to find the cobalt parts needed.

As for Jonh, how can a guy get ahold of him these days? I never see him on the forum anymore. I use to have his number, but have long lost it.

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:

As for Jonh, how can a guy get ahold of him these days? I never see him on the forum anymore. I use to have his number, but have long lost it.
Hammond?

Glad to help. John sells the swap kit which consists of the cobalt top mount and spacers. As long as your bearings are still good, you can reuse the RL ones. Already have Koni's and I'm picking up Pedders tomorrow a.m. Grabbing some powergrid endlinks next week and then installing everything Aug 6th.

Try sending John PM here or over on GMSC forum or email [email protected].

Assuming you cut the adjustment tab on the Koni's for the front? Bought mine used and they came that way. From what I'm told, mid-range in the front and 3/4 from full soft in the rear should be about the right set-up. Sucks that you can't adjust either while still on the car

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 03:43 AM
F_ck Bates

Quote:

rice eater. go onto crate engie depot, llok for the sales number and call it. ask for tom and tell him u want the package that john powell and him set uo for the fe5 suspensions conversion. then concact powell and get the spacer u need from him for the strut hats. imho powell is the go to guy for suspension. u ane mail himand ask anything u need to know and he will take the time to help u build a bad ass set up. his car is a track monster... heres his email and u can also go to gmsportcompact.net and pm him there. same screen name as here...
[email protected]

BOUGHT, BUILT, BROKE. REBUILT DONT RUN. RE-REBUILT SHE FINALLY ALIVE. FML..... LMAO

07 Recaro Swap Member #4

In the best interest of RLF, thanks for un-banning Qwikredline

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 11:22 AM
whore whore whore whore

rice eater! you're not dead! btw, thanks again for helping me w/ my timing issue many years ago

and pedders are the shit! u won't be disappointed

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droxity View Post
Hammond?

Glad to help. John sells the swap kit which consists of the cobalt top mount and spacers. As long as your bearings are still good, you can reuse the RL ones. Already have Koni's and I'm picking up Pedders tomorrow a.m. Grabbing some powergrid endlinks next week and then installing everything Aug 6th.

Try sending John PM here or over on GMSC forum or email [email protected].

Assuming you cut the adjustment tab on the Koni's for the front? Bought mine used and they came that way. From what I'm told, mid-range in the front and 3/4 from full soft in the rear should be about the right set-up. Sucks that you can't adjust either while still on the car
no, but close. I am in chesterton, and grew up in griffith. I set mine to 1/2 in front and that seems pretty good. talking to John he says to switch to the stock tc in the front though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in