whats hot and whats not - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

whats hot and whats not

I have fe5 arms on the way along with drilled and slotted rotors. I have eibachs all the way arround with Koni yellows in the front and they are not cutting it.
I am looking at the peddars coil overs but I have not heard any feedback on them. So what are you guys using for grip in the corners? I need to do something pretty quick.

Also, I am looking for some new full racing tires. What have you guys been using?

2005 blue redline- custom CAI, 2.6 pulley, neutral balance shafts, 80lb injectors, custom crank-8lbs lighter, header, motor mounts, XXX rear bar, dual torque brace, URC subframe rails, Peddars springs, custom exhaust, aem wideband a/f gauge, interceptors, 10.5:1 pistons, ported head, 272 cams, Ti valve trane, ice box, stage 3 clutch, fidenza lightweight flywheel, oversized valves, Fe5 struts, FE5 control arms, studded everything.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice eater View Post
I have fe5 arms on the way along with drilled and slotted rotors. I have eibachs all the way arround with Koni yellows in the front and they are not cutting it.
I am looking at the peddars coil overs but I have not heard any feedback on them. So what are you guys using for grip in the corners? I need to do something pretty quick.

Also, I am looking for some new full racing tires. What have you guys been using?
Here's what I've read...doing a lot of research myself. No current "cheap" (<$2000) coilover system works better than FE5/Koni + Pedders springs. Eibach springs along with other "lowering" springs coil bind. Current off the shelf, coilover systems for cobalt/ion fail because of both valving and spring rate, including the Pedders coilover and will not perform as well as above-stated setup. Couple people have converted VW Ohlin for rear but that's a whole different ballgame (certainly beyond my level of expertise).

Slotted and specifically drilled rotors are fail for performance due to reduced pad-to-rotor surface area and tendency to crack/warp.

Hard to beat Hoosier A6's for R-comp tires but you gotta pay to play. For street tire, Direzza Star Specs are very popular.

Others will likely chime in with similar feedback. Best of luck to you.

The thought is pure ambiguous

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

thank you very much. when you said no current cheap coil over, does that mean that there is an expensive one that works well? I am not very worried about budget on this, It just pisses me off to see other cars on rails beat me when I have them doubled in power.
So stock replacements are the way to go with the rotors?

2005 blue redline- custom CAI, 2.6 pulley, neutral balance shafts, 80lb injectors, custom crank-8lbs lighter, header, motor mounts, XXX rear bar, dual torque brace, URC subframe rails, Peddars springs, custom exhaust, aem wideband a/f gauge, interceptors, 10.5:1 pistons, ported head, 272 cams, Ti valve trane, ice box, stage 3 clutch, fidenza lightweight flywheel, oversized valves, Fe5 struts, FE5 control arms, studded everything.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

sorry, also do you have numbers for the pedders springs you mention? I want to make sure I get the right ones if there is more than one chioce.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm hungry

FE5 shocks and struts combined with pedder springs, though you need a special set up made by john powel to make them work with a redline. Uracecars sub frame connectors. upgraded FE5 front sway bar, sphericle bushings for the FE5 arms, rear sway bar by Powel? upgraded knuckles, powergrid endlinks, or any other kind of upgraded endlink.... and I think that is it... I might be missing a few things....

and best bang for the buck as far as strut shock spring combo... http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P2599C515.aspx

also some rotated mounts to help with the wheel hope...

Mikeyredline, Audio God to the GMP-ONE

Page 1171 it's Eagle Time.

Last edited by mantiskungfu; 07-20-2011 at 01:36 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

awesome, I have the subframe rails already, and I have the koni yellows, so all I need is the springs themselves.
I have heard that the knuckles are stronger but provide no other advantage???
now I have heard both ways on the front and rear sway bar, some seem to like the upgrade and some say run without them???
Where do you get the spherical bushing from? what kind of performance gains?

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:34 PM

Skip the front swaybar. For autox get a Powell Hardcore bar, Powell L CAB's and TCAB's, stock rotors, and some good tires like Yoko Advan AD08's, Dunlap Direzza Star Spec's. If you have never AutoX'd before start small and work your way up. To tell you the truth the more mods that you do the harder the classes that you put yourself in. In those classes the cars are really hard to be competitive with. Just saying.

My car makes a long cunt hair less power than my tuners car with less mods!!
But I am still knocking on the door. 12whp more to go!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:35 PM

Forgot one thing. If you don't have a LSD you better put that on the top of your list of things to get for the car.

My car makes a long cunt hair less power than my tuners car with less mods!!
But I am still knocking on the door. 12whp more to go!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Moderator/Internet Fight Champion

RiceEater's a pro. Usually if something is missing on the car, he designs and fabricates it himself. He's no n00b. I think he's just wondering about experience related to products currently available. B- you gonna be making your own suspension shit now? heh.

E85, 80# Injectors, 2.7" Billetflow pulley, extrude honed header, Dual Torque Braces, poly mounts.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice eater View Post
thank you very much. when you said no current cheap coil over, does that mean that there is an expensive one that works well? I am not very worried about budget on this, It just pisses me off to see other cars on rails beat me when I have them doubled in power.
So stock replacements are the way to go with the rotors?
To my knowledge, there is no current high-end coilover setup currently being made for the masses. Saturnracer is one of those who I believe has the VW Ohlin setup...check his facebook page.

If money is no object, you might look into swapping to Cobalt SS/TC front brembos or a Wilwood kit. For most people stock or premium blank rotors and good pads are enough....John Powell has done a shit-ton to his redline in regards to suspension/handling upgrades and is the most highly regarded authority on what works and what doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikredline11 View Post
...the TC knuckle and brembo caliper with a Redline wheel bearing is a direct fit up. the lsj knuckle is not. I use grand am wheel bearings at the front to use a bigger axle. the tooth count is the same for the abs. the abs tooth count for the tc wheel bearing is wrong for a redline and 05 06 cobalts. with correct wheel bearings and brembo brakes changing the hardware the software is ok, the abs is fine doesnt need any changes it works great on the street and on the track with the TC Brembo set up I have track tested it extensively....
What type of competitive driving are you doing, AutoX or track (or both)?

The thought is pure ambiguous

Last edited by Droxity; 07-20-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in