I've isolated a problem - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

I've isolated a problem

and I could use some experienced advice:

I'm thinking for t the time being I can get away with adjusting my Koni Yellows to compensate for this: but I'm having this issue with front end plow like I've never experienced before...

I'll come out of a corner and get hung up in understeer so bad, that while the car IS coming back the direction i need it to go, it's bogging getting there... it's like there is this period of time, where if I floor it more, I just spin tires, ... Like I HAVE to wait it out while it selttles its body roll and the front end gets back in line...

Its frustrating because as I'm experiencing it, I can feel time lapsing and I get irritated. Here is a great example of a run in which this happened... this happens to have been the last run of the day, and I put on a half second stuck in understeer land and another half second in the slalom (because hot in first and coast in second is a good strategy right??? jesus... dont know what I was thinking)

I pushed it very hard in this last run.

Ion redline direzza ziis dry 6-2-13 - YouTube

Please advise what I can do to solve this... $$$ is tight but I now KNOW I need the UCR and Hardcore XXX rear sway... But until I can do that...

Can we talk tire pressures and Koni Yellow Damping settings??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 07:12 AM

Know you're not gonna like hearing it but driver mod. Trail brake into the corner to get the car to rotate then power out. You are likely going too fast on entry and apexing too soon. "Slow in, fast out" is a term you will hear a lot.

FWIW, I run Z1 star specs and 38 front/40 rear is good for me with koni yellows, YYZ springs and hardcore rear bar. Koni's are set about mid range in front and 3/4 off full soft in the rear. More rear pressure will help the rear get around a bit more too.

You also look late in your slalom which is causing you to get further behind and have to create more steering input to compensate as you progress. Your turn in should start before the front of your car passes the cone. If you don't have Powell TCAB's and FE5 control arms yet, I would highly recommend as it helps greatly with steering response.

More seat time with consistently the same setup will help you understand how to get the most out of the car.

The thought is pure ambiguous

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Had a feeling you'd say that...

yea I could go on for hours on parts I need right now... recall I did everything I've done to this car before my first autocross... and now I'm out of cash -_- love it how everything that seemed like it would be practical is now useless and everything that seemed impractical then is now gold.

I'm going to focus hard on getting the driving rhythm worked out better on the next event... there were some additionally extenuating circumstances with this event... like... 20 minutes in between each run... approximately

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissance_rogue View Post
love it how everything that seemed like it would be practical is now useless and everything that seemed impractical then is now gold.
No idea what you mean here...other than springs changes, the handling formula has been the same for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissance_rogue View Post
I'm going to focus hard on getting the driving rhythm worked out better on the next event... there were some additionally extenuating circumstances with this event... like... 20 minutes in between each run... approximately
Instruction is never a bad thing either and I have a few people that I can go to day of event and ask for them to ride with me or ride with them for a couple runs just to get their input and observe what they do better.

When you only get six runs per event and there's a month between events, it's really hard to make big leaps in skill. IF I was looking to become really competitive at autocross, I would take advantage of every event I could in my area.

Within an hour drive of me I have SCCA Chicago, SCCA Milwaukee and Tri-State Sports Car Council. There are also a few Chicago area model-specific clubs that allow other cars to run. If I wanted to extend that to two hours, I could also participate in SCCA Great Lakes and SCCA CIR.

I could essentially race every weekend if budget and family weren't an issue (which they are).

Next year, the plan is to move from autocross up to track days. You spend a lot more time in the car actually driving which is my biggest peeve about autox.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droxity View Post
Next year, the plan is to move from autocross up to track days. You spend a lot more time in the car actually driving which is my biggest peeve about autox.
THIS
I have my ion for track days and my miata for autoX, when the time for either of those emerges...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

1) what are TCABs?
2) What I mean is that I built the car previously based on things I thought the car needed for it to drive the way I wanted... on the street... Everything it actually needed in a race environment was considered impractical at the time.
3) I've made arrangements with a REALLY skilled awd driver and a few experienced fwd drivers to get some instruction time in next event
4) I've "found" some traffic cones and some friendly parking lots that are generally OK at night... meaning... no worries.. I know the average dimension of a proper chicago box and slalom so I'm going to MAKE some seat time with my friends. and hopefully improve basic technique. (the REALLY skilled AWD guy is chairman and helps put together the courses - he'll be out there helping me practice lol)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"

1. Trailing Control Arm Bushings

06 Silver RL |
|
|
|

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnbracing View Post
broken shit Is par for mcclure
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 01:05 PM

Chicago box is just an extra slalom gate really. Extra cones freak people out though

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 04:15 PM

I'm a little late to this party, but this book helped me so much:

http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Solo-Racing-Techniques-Autocrossing/dp/0962057312
Also, I remember my first track day. I charged into every corner. If I'm being honest, I probably charged into every corner on my second track day too--it was just less noticable because I knew the track better. It's very easy to do that with this car.

Remember also that all the basics of vehicle dynamics are the same for every car. Just the limits are different. Adjust yourself to match the car as it sits today and you'll be better off than you would if you adjusted the car to match your "preferences."

Good luck and have fun!

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

So right off the bat-

Went and got my post Auto-X tires rotated (a week late w/ev) 38 fronts 40 rear... night and day from what I can tell on the street... I'm actually getting some little bit of rotation back..

As for that particular book- Freakin' hilarious... dug into my book shelf... turns out I bought it about 4 years ago and put it aside and forgot I had it... Convenient lol.

So I'll be diggin into that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in