11.59 @129.4mph first time out. Need practice! - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

11.59 @129.4mph first time out. Need practice!

A couple weeks back a bunch of friends and I went to MAPerformance's Proving Grounds out at Brainerd International Raceway in MN. We started going to this event last year and are hooked! Its a 3 day event that has drag racing, roll racing, drifting, autox, road course, burnout contest, camping, partying, etc. Just something going on at all hours or the day and throughout the night each day.

Out of the 3 times I've been there I've roll raced every time, but this was the first time I drag raced at Proving Grounds and the first time drag racing on the turbo setup. I ended up racing all 3 days.

Friday I left the cabin we rented, put the slicks on, and went to tech inspection. Got in line and knew that I was going to have some work to do to beat my old personal best of 12.23 @118.2mph back on the TVS setup with over 200whp less than what my car makes on party mode now. My WOT box also died so I was launching with no 2-step, so I made a dead spot in my timing map for launching so I could at least build a little boost.

I ended up running some mid-low 12's @126-128mph as I started turning the boost up after a few runs. Ended up Friday with a 12.2 @128 with a 2.1x 60' IIRC. Saturday was a nicer day with some more traffic so the track was getting some more heat in it, and I was working on my burnouts and getting better 60' times. Had the boost around 30-32 lbs and clicked off a [email protected] with another 2.1x 60'. I spun through 2nd every run, but with the better burnouts I didn't have to pedal it quite as much, and I could tell I was getting quicker and trapping higher each time I got the tires warmer throughout the days as more of the power was being put down. My next run I missed 3rd after getting my best 60', and I had my first pass in the 11's! So I made one more pass for the day, and this video captures those 2 runs.

My passes in the 11's at Proving Grounds at BIR - YouTube

Finally a mid 11 second pass! I stopped there for the day since I was happy enough and I didn't want to get grief if I went under 11.5, not until next year anyways I did want to trap a little higher though since I know the car should be well into the 130's, but that will come with practice and traction to get me moving forward better.

My friend Alex (SPDDMN36) and his brother Zach and their dad came to the event too! Alex ran a 12.6 @117 on the limiter in 3rd for a few passes to feel the car out. The car is running strong and he's ready to chop those times down!

Our turbo LSJ's cooling off.

Here's the early bird Friday Bismarck crew before all of the rest of our friends came that night.

And my favorite view from 4 stories up on the tower after the burnout contest.

All in all it was the best proving grounds yet, and I was very pleased with my car. I ended up making about 20 passes down the track between the days without a single major issue, and even got a laugh when some people wouldn't race me when I showed up to the roll races on slicks I loaded my car in the trailer and towed it home very happy knowing I could drive it home if I wanted to, even after all the abuse it took all weekend.

I apologize if this got a bit long, but I haven't made a post like this in a while

Until next time Proving Grounds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ZZP Gen 3 Girdled 2.1|Carillo Rods|JE Pistons|ATI|Supertech Springs|ZZP Stage 2 Turbo Cams|S259et|F40 6-Speed swap|1700cc|RSFS|E85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 11:39 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfraRedline View Post
A couple weeks back a bunch of friends and I went to MAPerformance's Proving Grounds out at Brainerd International Raceway in MN. We started going to this event last year and are hooked! Its a 3 day event that has drag racing, roll racing, drifting, autox, road course, burnout contest, camping, partying, etc. Just something going on at all hours or the day and throughout the night each day.

Out of the 3 times I've been there I've roll raced every time, but this was the first time I drag raced at Proving Grounds and the first time drag racing on the turbo setup. I ended up racing all 3 days.

Friday I left the cabin we rented, put the slicks on, and went to tech inspection. Got in line and knew that I was going to have some work to do to beat my old personal best of 12.23 @118.2mph back on the TVS setup with over 200whp less than what my car makes on party mode now. My WOT box also died so I was launching with no 2-step, so I made a dead spot in my timing map for launching so I could at least build a little boost.

I ended up running some mid-low 12's @126-128mph as I started turning the boost up after a few runs. Ended up Friday with a 12.2 @128 with a 2.1x 60' IIRC. Saturday was a nicer day with some more traffic so the track was getting some more heat in it, and I was working on my burnouts and getting better 60' times. Had the boost around 30-32 lbs and clicked off a [email protected] with another 2.1x 60'. I spun through 2nd every run, but with the better burnouts I didn't have to pedal it quite as much, and I could tell I was getting quicker and trapping higher each time I got the tires warmer throughout the days as more of the power was being put down. My next run I missed 3rd after getting my best 60', and I had my first pass in the 11's! So I made one more pass for the day, and this video captures those 2 runs.

My passes in the 11's at Proving Grounds at BIR - YouTube

Finally a mid 11 second pass! I stopped there for the day since I was happy enough and I didn't want to get grief if I went under 11.5, not until next year anyways I did want to trap a little higher though since I know the car should be well into the 130's, but that will come with practice and traction to get me moving forward better.

My friend Alex (SPDDMN36) and his brother Zach and their dad came to the event too! Alex ran a 12.6 @117 on the limiter in 3rd for a few passes to feel the car out. The car is running strong and he's ready to chop those times down!

Our turbo LSJ's cooling off.

Here's the early bird Friday Bismarck crew before all of the rest of our friends came that night.

And my favorite view from 4 stories up on the tower after the burnout contest.

All in all it was the best proving grounds yet, and I was very pleased with my car. I ended up making about 20 passes down the track between the days without a single major issue, and even got a laugh when some people wouldn't race me when I showed up to the roll races on slicks I loaded my car in the trailer and towed it home very happy knowing I could drive it home if I wanted to, even after all the abuse it took all weekend.

I apologize if this got a bit long, but I haven't made a post like this in a while

Until next time Proving Grounds

Provide as much info as you want - I (I think everyone) enjoy hearing the

stories and pics.. And your presentation is excellent

I wish I had tracks and friends who did this stuff ..unfortunately

I am single participant in my area especially I may be the only one or

two ion redline the next two counties.

That was funny that no one wants to even race you

. . . . . . . . .Saturn Ion Redline
.. ......Saturn's performance car of the year
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 1Redline; 09-23-2015 at 11:42 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 12:27 PM

Wow, congratulations! That is an awesome ET as well as MPH. It's amazing to think that our little humble Saturns can be made to run faster than a new Corvette Z06 or Dodge Hellcat for a fraction of the cost!

2006 Ion Red Line- 270whp/242wtq

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Redline View Post
Provide as much info as you want - I (I think everyone) enjoy hearing the

stories and pics.. And your presentation is excellent

I wish I had tracks and friends who did this stuff ..unfortunately

I am single participant in my area especially I may be the only one or

two ion redline the next two counties.

That was funny that no one wants to even race you
Thanks for the kind words! It was such a fun and eventful weekend so I kind of just ramble on when I think back to it haha. Good to know its appreciated! This event is about a 6 hour drive from us, but we have a good 20 or so people from my city that go to it, so it makes it a great time. Definitely lucky our little city has a tight knit automotive community like we do, and that so many people are willing to travel to enjoy these events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepress View Post
Wow, congratulations! That is an awesome ET as well as MPH. It's amazing to think that our little humble Saturns can be made to run faster than a new Corvette Z06 or Dodge Hellcat for a fraction of the cost!
Thanks man! Although I'd definitely take either one of those car over mine in a heartbeat, I definitely enjoy doing these events with my car. It gets a lot of appreciation and is a good conversation starter after people see it run. Its fun talking to the true enthusiasts that appreciate a decently built car no matter what it is.

ZZP Gen 3 Girdled 2.1|Carillo Rods|JE Pistons|ATI|Supertech Springs|ZZP Stage 2 Turbo Cams|S259et|F40 6-Speed swap|1700cc|RSFS|E85
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 09:58 PM

Infra did you ever put in a ZZP stealth HE or did you have the Griffin? Im thinkin of grabbing a Stealth but wonderin if it fits. MAP looks like a good time Ill have to try to make it next year.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 02:07 PM

Awesome! I always missed seeing the saturn fly down the track. Those were good runs, and your car looks tight!

Forum favorites: When darkmanX beat me in a roll, the cover page red Redline is right-hand drive, the GMPONE crew and all the other members I met, the few twincharged RL's out there, and of course my original purchases from Ron9919 which gave me my first mod bug.
My
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLINE1313 View Post
Infra did you ever put in a ZZP stealth HE or did you have the Griffin? Im thinkin of grabbing a Stealth but wonderin if it fits. MAP looks like a good time Ill have to try to make it next year.
I ran the stock HE on my setups. I had a cobra one in sequence with the stock one for a while but just ended up taking it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawlyns711 View Post
Awesome! I always missed seeing the saturn fly down the track. Those were good runs, and your car looks tight!
Thanks man! It felt good to run it down the track again. I was going to do some passes at the track last year, but it ended up getting late in the year and it got kinda cold out, so I ended up going to the track thats only 200 miles away and took my other Redline which is stock blower on E85. Ended up running a 13.0 @106.5 so that had to hold me over until this year. I'm hoping to go back to that closer track with the Red car next weekend but it might rain, so we will see.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 12:01 AM

Very nice man, good job! Fun times
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by watts_up View Post
Very nice man, good job! Fun times
Thank ya sir! Forecast is looking better for this coming weekend, so I may get out to the strip again!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 03:22 AM

Garage
Any updates?

Get those short times down and you should be solidly in the 10's.

2004 Saturn Ion Redline - S256ET | Ported Head
500whp/464wtq @ 28psi on E85

2000 Z28 -
318/304 NA - 435/380 N2O

, Gone but not forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in