texting and driving - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

texting and driving

some ppl have no sense
is it gonna become a traffic violation??
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...gBeACrime.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 06:09 PM

Great article.
Thanks for the find.

I think people have too much freedom to do what ever they want
in their cars. Because of modern advances in safety technology,
people feel invincible in their cars. We should all be driving rolling
death traps like in the 60's. And only then, people will stop driving
like a bunch of retards. The ones that still do will be weeded out
by natural selection.

2006 Ion Redline / Competition Package / GM Stage 2 / SMS Front Strut Tower Brace / Progress Rear Sway Bar
14.43 @ 98.8 mph: California Speedway 1/4 mile / 249.3=WHP 219.3=WTQ
1:42.551 secs. @ Willowsprings Raceway (2.5 mile track)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 06:32 PM

As much as I support being ticketed for DWT, the last part of the article is the problem of enforcing it:

Quote:
Many wrecks have an undetermined cause, and DWT data rely on driver honesty. Current state law gives drivers little incentive to blab. The reward for honesty is a ticket for negligent operation of a vehicle, which draws a flat $538 fine.

The only way to independently determine whether the devices were in use is cumbersome. Police would have to get a warrant to subpoena billing records. But it would be hard to talk a judge into granting such subpoenas for a fender bender.

Trooper Jeff Merrill says the driver of the Dodge Caravan on Dec. 5 would almost certainly have gotten away with his carelessness had he not confessed. "He's been very upfront about it," Merrill says.

Merrill says the biggest problem with McDonald's legislation may be its enforceability.
How do you prove the person was texting or reading a text? With speeding, they have radar/laser guns. For careless driving or racing, the cops have the eyes to witness it. But if a person is accused of texting, they really don't have a way to prove it, unless they demand to look at your phone's history. If that were the case, people would start wanting to sue for invasion of privacy or some bullshit. But even if they get to look at the phone, sometimes it might not even prove anything.

So the people that are honest and admit to it get royally screwed. While the jackass who isn't honest and probably does it more so and will continue to DWT will conveniently not tell the copper. He/she won't be screwed to cough up more cash, and the cycle would continue.

So the enforcing of this would be so arbitrary that it gets unfair real quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahriman
this makes me very sad... and mad... im sad and mad.... im smad
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cyanide & Happiness @

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 09:32 PM

Okay I used to be a cop on AF installation and this was a project I did for my speech class. I did this long speech of why this should be illegal don't feel like going too much into detail but, all DOD installations have already enforced this to being a law. jsr 31-204 I believe which stands for joint service regulation. You could talk on a hands free device; for example a blue tooth or something ... How I remembered that I have no clue but anyways; maybe someone else has seen the speech and decided it would be good to enforce. I even talked about the problems with the law. A couple of years ago it was in law, in NY did you know that? And some parts of cali!!! but they really didn't have enough cops to enforce this law so it faided away... only time will tell!!!

PS. I can't see a cop waiting by a traffic light enforcing people not driving and texting however, if they so happen to pull up next to you and you aren't paying attention and they are watching you and your light is green and you aren't paying attention, then they may give you the good ol'e siren or talk on the PA lol. I think they wan't to try to prevent accidents do to texting you know what I mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpapa
As much as I support being ticketed for DWT, the last part of the article is the problem of enforcing it:

How do you prove the person was texting or reading a text? With speeding, they have radar/laser guns. For careless driving or racing, the cops have the eyes to witness it. But if a person is accused of texting, they really don't have a way to prove it, unless they demand to look at your phone's history. If that were the case, people would start wanting to sue for invasion of privacy or some bullshit. But even if they get to look at the phone, sometimes it might not even prove anything.

So the people that are honest and admit to it get royally screwed. While the jackass who isn't honest and probably does it more so and will continue to DWT will conveniently not tell the copper. He/she won't be screwed to cough up more cash, and the cycle would continue.

So the enforcing of this would be so arbitrary that it gets unfair real quick.

Last edited by marlinbaltha; 08-21-2007 at 09:35 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinbaltha
Okay I used to be a cop on AF installation and this was a project I did for my speech class. I did this long speech of why this should be illegal don't feel like going too much into detail but, all DOD installations have already enforced this to being a law. jsr 31-204 I believe which stands for joint service regulation. You could talk on a hands free device; for example a blue tooth or something ... How I remembered that I have no clue but anyways; maybe someone else has seen the speech and decided it would be good to enforce. I even talked about the problems with the law. A couple of years ago it was in law, in NY did you know that? And some parts of cali!!! but they really didn't have enough cops to enforce this law so it faided away... only time will tell!!!

PS. I can't see a cop waiting by a traffic light enforcing people not driving and texting however, if they so happen to pull up next to you and you aren't paying attention and they are watching you and your light is green and you aren't paying attention, then they may give you the good ol'e siren or talk on the PA lol. I think they wan't to try to prevent accidents do to texting you know what I mean?
Where are you located at in illinois? Im going for my criminal justice degree right now. As for the thread, i'm guilty of doing it but i think it would be a good idea because it is definitely more distracting then talking on your phone. But then again I don't see it being enforced......at all.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 05:20 AM

Quote:

Well what if you're not using your phone in that situation and are doing something else dumb to distract yourself? The cop really has no way to prove that you're using your phone to give a DWT unless you're holding it right to your face in that situation. And I usually don't bring my phone above my belly when I'm texting, but that's probably because I still have good eye sight and don't need it close to my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahriman
this makes me very sad... and mad... im sad and mad.... im smad

Cyanide & Happiness @
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rky29
Where are you located at in illinois? Im going for my criminal justice degree right now. As for the thread, i'm guilty of doing it but i think it would be a good idea because it is definitely more distracting then talking on your phone. But then again I don't see it being enforced......at all.
just recieved my AA in CJ August 16. My wife says I should go for my BS in CJ but I don't know I will have my AA in info managment here soon; was thinking of going that route but who knows. I am in the ofallon area!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
just recieved my AA in CJ August 16. My wife says I should go for my BS in CJ but I don't know I will have my AA in info managment here soon; was thinking of going that route but who knows. I am in the ofallon area!
People just should'nt text a drive, no matter how quickly you can. It's a distraction. I'd love for someone to run into me while they're texting. Hopefully they'll be driving an Enzo.

Is'nt O'Fallon in downstate Il?

Levels of insanity... 1 - Talking to ones self 2 - Arguing with ones self 3 - losing argument with ones self 4 - is no longer speaking to ones self

|
|
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 03:53 PM

Mountain Home AFB cracks down on texting while driving and it seems as though the accidents, other disputes with people not paying attention while driving has dropped to almost under the floor incident count.....hmmm....... I wonder if there is any correlation.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 04:44 PM

i learnd my lesson thats why my headlight shoots out further than the other DUMBASS!!!!

2007IONREDLINE
FOR SALE:

stag2 mounts, rims,injectors,more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in