Road Trip! MD to CO. 3400+ mile trip! (long post) - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Road Trip! MD to CO. 3400+ mile trip! (long post)

I bought my Redline a bit over a month ago (its an 04) and I love it (from Saturn of Gaithersburg).

I am finally graduating college (undergrad) in Baltimore. I started in Indiana in engineering and I wound up in Baltimore with Philosophy, go figure. It took 8 years on and off working and crap between going to school. I'm doing a road trip out to Colorado where I have a place where I can stay and I am planning on driving on I 70 out. Basically this is a 3 week vacation while I wait for my job applications to be processed and I get a real job.

That said.

Has anyone else done a road trip in a redline and if so what were your experiences? I'm taking a buddy of mine who can't drive. So it is just me driving. I have made the trip before in 3 days in a shitty vehicle. But it can be done in 28 hours of straight driving. Is there anyplace that you all would recommend stopping as far as cool stuff goes? I have the whole taste for the quirky and so on. It makes me sad there is no South of the Boarder or Big Texan on the way out. I'm going through St. Louis, Columbus, Kansas City and so on. I love gambling, food, and the such.

So what should I make sure I check out? / avoid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 10:13 PM

I have NEVER been on that side of the country, but I'd kind of like to take a trek through there. I can't offer any insight as to what to see/what not to see, but I can say, good luck! The Redline should be a fairly competent trip car, I've taken a 200-mile trip in mine and had a blast, I'd love to take a longer trip if I could save up some money. Just be gentle on the gas pedal, because if you haul too much ass, your gas bill will kill you.

Red Redline club member #002
:: 42.5#ers :: 3.0" SFPH :: B&G Drop :: K&N Drop In :: Copper Core Plugs :: Tibbett/Photo Antenna Mod :: Tuned by NoRemorse ::
From the Great White North to the Durty South. I'm in Myrtle Beach now
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary3
Has anyone else done a road trip in a redline and if so what were your experiences? I'm taking a buddy of mine who can't drive. So it is just me driving. I have made the trip before in 3 days in a shitty vehicle. But it can be done in 28 hours of straight driving. Is there anyplace that you all would recommend stopping as far as cool stuff goes? I have the whole taste for the quirky and so on. It makes me sad there is no South of the Boarder or Big Texan on the way out. I'm going through St. Louis, Columbus, Kansas City and so on. I love gambling, food, and the such.

So what should I make sure I check out? / avoid?
Try to close your eyes through Kansas, it's a pretty straight shot till about Limon, CO. so it shoudn't be a problem. Not too much to see this side of KC. Enjoy the trip, and once you hit the border of CO, it'll be a steady climb untill just after Limon, CO is shaped kinda like a bowl. There are a few great clubs in St. Louis, and KC (on the MO side anyways). Don't forget to check out the arch while you're there!! Have fun, and watch KS state patrol, they like to hide, and grab you especially the last two towns before the CO state line!!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmonkeygod04
I have NEVER been on that side of the country, but I'd kind of like to take a trek through there. I can't offer any insight as to what to see/what not to see, but I can say, good luck! The Redline should be a fairly competent trip car, I've taken a 200-mile trip in mine and had a blast, I'd love to take a longer trip if I could save up some money. Just be gentle on the gas pedal, because if you haul too much ass, your gas bill will kill you.
NOT REALLY ON TOPIC, BUT CHEESE AND RICE ABOUT THE GAS BILL. I TAKE ABOUT 20 + MIN RIDE TO WORK AND THE GAS GUAGE IN THIS CAR DOESN'T GO DOWN GRADUALLY....IT'S JUST PLUMITS FROM FULL TO 1/2 IN 2.5 SECONDS. IT'S NUTZ, BUT WOULDN'T TRADE THIS CAR IN FOR THE WORLD!!!!
WELL, OTHER THAN FOR A VIPER.....MMMMMM VIPER

2005 Blue Redline
Mods:8k HID's, Redneck Intake, Grill Inserts, AutoMeter Boost Gauge, Foggies w/ Blue Driving lights
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 04:15 PM

Talking Road Trip! MD to CO. 3400+ mile trip! (long post)

Quote:
...I have made the trip before in 3 days in a shitty vehicle. But it can be done in 28 hours of straight driving....
Re your 3400+ mile trip in 28 hours... you'd have to average a bit better than 120 mph to do that!

Or, do you mean half of a 3400 mile round trip in 28 hours... that's certainly doable. In my RL I've made trips with average ground speed of nearly 78 mph (295 miles in 3 hr 40 mins, front door to front door) but pushing 120+ mph would take some doing!!!

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; It's just that they know so much that isn't so." -- Ronald Reagan

Last edited by jmichna; 06-30-2005 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Superd00d

I bet anything with forced induction would be a godsend in the mountains, compared to what I'm used to. The Trailblazer we took was good all the way up, it lost power, but still had a good amount.

The other cars SUCKED at altitude...

'05 Stage 2 Redline -One of the few Red REDlines

Sp00n's HP Tuned GM Stage 2, K&N CAI, SFPH 2.8" Pulley, GMPP Exhaust Manifold, B&M Shifter, GMPP Clutch, Eibach Drop, Stillen Rotors, ZZP Stage1 Axles, URC-Subframe, TqForward Strut Bars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

260whp 225wtq
1/4 - 14.0 @ 103.7

Red Red Line Club #001
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

It is the 1700 miles in 28 hours of driving time. The gas mileage is going to suck bad. I have a few passangers so it should help defray gas costs. It should be a good time in the mountains. The whole supercharger thing was basically developed to solve the low O2 content problem in planes. I am looking forward to running Loveland Pass.

Mostly I am just looking forward to the vacation.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 08:44 PM

Talking

Quote:
...The gas mileage is going to suck bad. I have a few passangers so it should help defray gas costs....
If you keep steady speeds (cruise control is your friend!) in the 70-80 mph range, you should still see mileage in the 25-26 mpg running 93 octane... maybe even better. Even running 80-90 mph I still get around 23-24 mpg.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; It's just that they know so much that isn't so." -- Ronald Reagan
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 08:01 AM

Gas milage up here with my foot in it half the time is about 23mpg....Going up I-70 toward Eisenhower at 135 kicks butt!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 08:45 AM

have fun, i averaged 28mpg on my last trip, going 80 steady, minus some chicago traffic. so it won't be too bad! drive safely!

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."

Rear Admiral J. Stark, U.S. Navy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in