Something is very wrong here (at RLF)! - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Something is very wrong here (at RLF)!

Why is this place going so far down hill lately?

There is no new useful information being posted, and no good discussions taking place. It's as though people are 'afraid' or 'intimidated' to do so because of repercussions.
Discussions that used to go into heavy debate, but were self resolving, are now shut down or edited. What's with that?
Informative, and truthful topics are being locked, and users banned. WTF?

Now... comes the part that I'm going to get banned for; this whole problem is 100% due to shitty moderation. Yeah... shitty, overpowering moderation.
How do I know? I run two forums, and mod a handful of others. I can spot shitty moderation from a mile away.

What are the characteristics of a SHITTY moderator?
- Bans too fast
- Mods on bias
- Threatens
- Over deletes
- Intimidates

What are the characteristics of a good moderator?
- Blends in with the community
- Is a member first, a mod second
- Takes part in discussions
- Takes conflicts to PM, prior to extreme action

I think a certain few moderators here needs a break of their own too cool down.

DISCUSS!

BTW; if any of the moderators feels that I'm an singling anyone of them out, feel free to contact me. I know how some moderators like to look too deep into things, and over react with the ban stick.

Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm hungry

as much as I respect you omega, I don't fully agree with this... I don't think it's the mods that are to blame. and not trying to take a stab at the new admin here but, we now have an admin that really makes his presence known. I think most of the problem that lies here is the small community, and the overpricing to compensate that is the real problem here. I mean most ppl that want to be vendors here don't, because "it costs too much" at least that was the impression I always had because a few certain vendors don't wish to be vendors even though they should, and would probably stop a lot of the drama.... but then again who am I, I'm just some slob working at a dead end job making peanuts cause I was barely able to make it past high school lol....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mikeyredline, Audio God to the GMP-ONE

Page 1171 it's Eagle Time.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Moderator Kitteh!

Any kitties involved in your rant?

HPTuners, Diamond Forged 10.0:1 Pistons, Flowtechnics Ported Head, Ferrea Valve Springs w/Ti Retainers, ARP Head Studs, Siemens 60lbers, AEM Cold Air, Thermal/Custom Cat Back/Downpipe, GMPP Header, BilletFlow 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger

Member #001 - Sticker Tower Of Doom Club
All opinions expressed are my own, even if I say they're someone else's. All your base are belong to us.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Im not a new admin and just because I dont post over here a ton doesnt mean I dont watch whats going on. This forum gets a LOT of leeway and I dont ban people just for the sake of banning people. Everyone I've banned has deserved it.

If you feel youve been treated unfairly by the staff, feel free to PM me and we can discuss it. Just keep in mind that personal attacks, etc are not going to be tolerated. I think a lot of cyber-bullying goes on on this forum and when it starts to get out of control, thats when I step in and someone usually gets a short vacation.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:30 AM

Yes **** should become vendors.

Was a recent thread comparing two products in the wrong? Surprisingly it hasn't been deemed so on another site and things have stayed civil on both forums plus the discouragement of vendor bashing. Both parties were allowed to discuss the products in question and while it wasn't a third party testing I believe it was unbiased as possible.

Did it break the rules? A mod believed so,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rules
3. Members may discuss products offered by a Non-Supporting Vendor as a general info post only. If, in our judgment, it appears as though you are advertising on a N/S vendor's behalf your post/thread may be edited or deleted and you may receive a warning:

a) A member MAY post "I found a great deal/product/service/price from Acme Auto" including details -That is sharing general info based on your personal experience

b) That member may NOT add to the post "Acme Auto said forum members get a special deal" -OR- "call Joe at 123-4567 or check out his website and say I sent you" -That is advertising on behalf of the N/S vendor and/or the N/S vendor using you to advertise on his behalf

c) If a member makes multiple posts/threads about a same non-supporting vendor it may appear he/she is associated with, or advertising for, that vendor and he/she will be cautioned. The line is thin and we will use our judgment as to when that line is being crossed
It looked like a general info post to me and both sides were defended and I don't believe there was any specific advertising for either vendor.

Blue '04 Redline Best ET Gas:[email protected], E85:13.94 @ 109.17

289 WHP/262 WTQ on E85
K&N CAI, HP Tuned, zzp heat exchanger, 2.8, 80's, zzp header/dp, GMPP clutch, front and rear TTR mounts, Nitto Neogens, Hawk Pads, irotor cross drilled/slotted rotors.
Boost gauge/ladder tach w/o amishland- courtesy Spike50002

Last edited by NCStateRedline; 02-19-2010 at 09:39 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Alpha, JayC... this was not directed at either of you in anyway.... I consider both of you as being in the 'good' area. For the record, this isn't even directed at Nadeem, either.
This was purely directed at one moderator, who I feel as been abusing their power. IMO, this power trip doesn't look like moderation, but rather intimidation, as most of the public warning have come across as threats.

As mentioned, this mod probably knows who they are, and can contact me if they feel the need to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStateRedline View Post
Was a recent thread comparing two products in the wrong?
DING!!!

And yeah, I'm really surprised that the shortbuss thread didn't get locked. But then again, they seem to have lightened up with the ban / lock / delete thing lately.

Tyler

Last edited by Omega_5; 02-19-2010 at 09:34 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Yes **** should become vendors.

Was a recent thread comparing two products in the wrong? Surprisingly it hasn't been deemed so on another site and things have stayed civil on both forums plus the discouragement of vendor bashing. Both parties were allowed to discuss the products in question and while it wasn't a third party testing I believe it was unbiased as possible.

Did it break the rules? A mod believed so, and I can't friggin find them lol.
I know the thread youre referring to and I didnt see a problem with it either. However, I also dont know the history of the poster and looking at the reason he was banned, it looks like he's had some ongoing issues with a vendor and ignored repeated warnings to cool it.

Once it comes down to us saying "Hey, knock it off" and you guys going "Screw you! We'll do what we wanna" (Said in a Cartman voice), we arent left with a whole lot of options.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
I know the thread youre referring to and I didnt see a problem with it either. However, I also dont know the history of the poster and looking at the reason he was banned, it looks like he's had some ongoing issues with a vendor and ignored repeated warnings to cool it.

Once it comes down to us saying "Hey, knock it off" and you guys going "Screw you! We'll do what we wanna" (Said in a Cartman voice), we arent left with a whole lot of options.

See, that's exactly what I mean. Said person may have made 'questionable comments' about a certain vendor in the past... however, in this particular case, no bashing or slamming occurred, yet said mod chose to assume, leading to an unfair lock and ban. If this mod wasn't so hot headed, this probably wouldn't have happened.

I should point out that this is not an isolated incident. There have been cases where said mod 'follows' members around the forum, and threatens them with 'vacations' if they post something off topic in the slightest... and any retaliation further results in a ban anyways.

Since these occurrences have began, the forum discussion rate has gone down significantly. No technical debates have occurred in the slightest... it's like the off-topic board is the new home for RLF (like a semi-safe haven). It's kind of frustrating.

Tyler
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:49 AM

^^^agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc

understood completely, and if there are repeated offenses I agree that measures should be taken.

However, like you just said you didn't see any problems with the thread either.

Just because of someone's history with the topic shouldn't give grounds for punishment if they are following rules later

Blue '04 Redline Best ET Gas:[email protected], E85:13.94 @ 109.17

289 WHP/262 WTQ on E85
K&N CAI, HP Tuned, zzp heat exchanger, 2.8, 80's, zzp header/dp, GMPP clutch, front and rear TTR mounts, Nitto Neogens, Hawk Pads, irotor cross drilled/slotted rotors.
Boost gauge/ladder tach w/o amishland- courtesy Spike50002
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Did it break the rules? A mod believed so, It looked like a general info post to me and both sides were defended and I don't believe there was any specific advertising for either vendor.
You don't know the background here and that is what I am here to tell you. I have spoken to John (Qwik) MANY times both on and off site about pushing **** and bashing TTR and it came to a point after his last vacation (which I gave him BTW) that I stated that he cannot mention TTR or **** but can post up technical information about the products. He violated the terms of his reinstatement so he is gone. Plain and simple. He has been given WAY more chances than I would normally give a member due to the nature of this site, but he still persisted. It should also be noted that he is the manufacturer behind the **** parts thus possibly has an ulterior motive in defaming a competitor's product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_5 View Post
Alpha, JayC... this was not directed at either of you in anyway.... I consider both of you as being in the 'good' area. For the record, this isn't even directed at Nadeem, either.
This was purely directed at one moderator, who I feel as been abusing their power. IMO, this power trip doesn't look like moderation, but rather intimidation, as most of the public warning have come across as threats.
I applaud LittleMT's actions as she did exactly what I asked her to do. I told all the mods to keep an eye out for John violating the rules we set out specifically for him to follow after his return. I am the one behind this, not her.

If you have had a problem with moderators here, the logical thing to do would be to contact the administrator, not start a public thread to stir the pot and publicly call out a mod on the site. Logic dictates this is not the most intelligent course of action and I don't appreciate you doing it the way you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_5 View Post
I should point out that this is not an isolated incident. There have been cases where said mod 'follows' members around the forum, and threatens them with 'vacations' if they post something off topic in the slightest... and any retaliation further results in a ban anyways.
PM me and show me these other incidents. That is the correct thing to do when you have a problem with a mod. It is also the only way action would ever be taken towards any of the hard working staff members here.

I don't take complaints in the open forum as seriously as I would a concerned PM since the member who posts the rant is obviously looking for support from bandwagon jumpers who really have no proof of the accusations being made. It looks like a cry for attention when things are done this way and could be seen as stirring the pot to create dissent amongst members. You could have even PMd Lu if you were so concerned about her actions on the site. As stated earlier I stick by and even applaud her action as Qwik was given all the chances in the world to change his tune in the open forum but chose not to.

Nadeem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Just for the record.... I don't join in on bashing him. I bash him independently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in