Transmission Fluid - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Transmission Fluid

... I know, I know, there are lots of threads and I thought this one might be useful here rather than other spots.

My intent was just to create a thread to merge some information, while confusing, to point out the differences in the appropriate fluid for the lsj trans and hopefully assist some noobs if needed...if they search.

To begin with the master:
https://www.redlineforums.com/forums/584985-post56.html

Also:
https://www.redlineforums.com/forums/...ion-fluid.html

Which also contains the TSB link that WOP discussed.

When I was researching about changing my own fluid I came across some inconsistencies such as:
Quote:
Supersession Information
Part number 21018899 was superseded by part number 88862472.
#88862472 is the newer and slightly lighter weight trans fluid for the LNF's.

https://www.redlineforums.com/forums/...tml#post867002

The slight differences - shortbus:
Quote:
the original stuff 05-07 balt and 04 07 rl are the same the new 08-10 is slightly different and better in cold weather
From Maven the guru:
"Gear oil part number 21088899 lsj

88862472 fluid is the fluid that is spec for the new F35s as used behind the LNF. Its yet another unique Castrol GL type fluid, the original stuff is "BOT 0063", the new stuff is "BOT 0402", the major difference being its thinner than the original. The 21018899 is roughly something between a 75w85 and a 75w90, the new stuff is roughly between a 70w80 and a 75w85."
To this end I think the appropriate GM replica number I have found mirroring the saturn number of 21018899 is GM #88861800. I am under the impression that 88862472 probably supersedes the GM 88861800 number also.

All of the fluids seem to be available. 2101899 is on gmpartsdirect.com in packs of 6 but they sometimes list things that are unavailable or not in stock and the local dealers here have the part number, it is a valid number, but can't order any of it, my dealers being gm folks.

88862472 is on gmpartsdirect, gmpartscenter.net and saturnparts.net

If anyone has any other information that might be useful to relate the fluids or specific properties I would appreciate knowing it. Also, I can't see why 88862472 wouldn't be an acceptable substitute for the original 2101** fluid unless someone knows otherwise?

F35 (MU3) transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by liamrh; 04-28-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"

Good thread.

Here is the stuff I used in my RL two weekends ago.

06 Silver RL |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnbracing View Post
broken shit Is par for mcclure
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMredline View Post
Good thread.

Here is the stuff I used in my RL two weekends ago.

Damn, where did you snag it? I was unable to shell out the $85 for the six pack of partsdirect.

Given your experience, I don't think the newer, lighter version will be an issue for the trans, do you?

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamrh View Post
Damn, where did you snag it? I was unable to shell out the $85 for the six pack of partsdirect.
I shelled out the money to gmpartsdirect.

Its takes 1.8qtrs to refill the transaxel. I am going to change my fluid every 30k. So I am good for a few more years.

Quote:
Given your experience, I don't think the newer, lighter version will be an issue for the trans, do you?
I am not the best person to answer this. From my point of view...I understand that there needs to be a certain amount of friction in the transaxel or things can go bad.

That is why I went with the OEM stuff. Better safe then sorry.

I am sure there are plenty of guys who would argue the other side.

06 Silver RL |
|
|
|

Quote:
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 05:39 AM

I use that same fluid when filling the MU3's.

I'll check the part number on the bottle, but I'm pretty sure it's still a valid one.

I'll look into that new stuff you were talking about, and get to this thread tomorrow.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

A little bit more info from some knowledgeable people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maven
Yes the new "2472" fluid is absolutely backward compatible with all F35's I consider it an upgrade actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Bretz
If the number superceeds, use the new number. Since there is a new number, that is now what the engineers at GM are recommending.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Two quarts..........and a tecate.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 08:40 AM

So is there an Amsoil fluid we can use. Cause I just rolled over 50k and want to change my transmission fluid.

04 Ion Redline
---Mods---
2.8" pulley/42lb Injectors
---------------------------------------------
Best Time - 14.718
Best Trap speed - 100.42mph
---------------------------------------------

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Two quarts..........and a tecate.

So this is the LNF stuff?

06 Silver RL |
|
|
|

Quote:
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

As far as I can cross reference, yes.

Manual Transmission Fluid SAE 75W-85 GL/4 88862472 - Crate Engine Depot

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikredline View Post
Yes the new stuff is better for cold winter starts and shifting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikredline View Post
No the lighter the viscosity the better the lubrication especially on cold running start up even at 90 degrees outside; I have used for 25 years (!) in other applications a 75w90 GL6 lube. I have to buy it in 55 gallon drums. It was developed for rear axles in log skidders dump trucks and military stuff for serious minus temps, but it works better on the race track at high temps too.

The GL6 is regarded as an "obsolete" spec as it has so much additive in it for extreme pressure lubrication and stuff it stinks and is an ugly brown color.

If GM come out with a newer lube its worth using it for sure. Most of the synchro wear happens #1 on cold start up even in warm weather and #2 downshifting at too high a speed for the gear ratio causing serious wear not on the synchro itself but on the blocker ring behind it. #3 speed shifting, see #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maven View Post
1) its a very unique low viscosity GL4 type fluid. Dont replace it with anything but the stock fluid which is actually PN88862472

2) see #1

3)No, its not, GM doesnt use any wet clutch manual transmissions, I dont know of anyone who does.
All from shortbus....

Quote:
Originally Posted by korax123 View Post
So is there an Amsoil fluid we can use. Cause I just rolled over 50k and want to change my transmission fluid.
From the information I have gathered especially since the people encouraging the use of the gm specific have serious knowledge, it is not recommended to use anything other than the gm fluid. What did wop say, YMMV?

Last edited by liamrh; 05-05-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in