HELP, Car not starting after clutch replacement - HELP! - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

HELP, Car not starting after clutch replacement - HELP!

Anyone who can put their 2 cents in here would be greatly appreciated. I have an 04 redline. My rear main seal was leaking and I was pissing about 1qt of oil a week. I went to mechanic to get it fixed. Decided to have the clutch done as well since hell be right there. Car ran fine when I drove it in there, no check engine light. Long story short, he did the clutch and seal, put everything back together, and the car wouldn't start. Turns over, but won't start. I kept telling him he had to have forgotten to plug a sensor or messed up a wire, maybe crankshaft wire when putting tranny back and finishing the job. He insisted he put everything back, etc. I ended up not paying him a dime and getting it towed to local Chevy/Buick dealer. After explaining to them the issue, they were on the same page as me saying he forgot to plug something in or damaged a wire (he did remove ecm and plugs when doing job). Called dealer today.... They still haven't figured it out after a couple days. If ANYONE can give me some insight on what it can possibly be that I can relay to dealer, please help me out here. No codes being thrown either. Help guys. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:16 AM

Garage
Check to make sure the main fusebox is seated correctly.

2004 Saturn Ion Redline - S256ET | Ported Head
500whp/464wtq @ 28psi on E85

2000 Z28 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
318/304 NA - 435/380 N2O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Gone but not forgotten.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

I will mention this to dealership. Thank you.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Dealership called me for an update and said the engine is not getting fuel pressure which is why it's not starting. They suggested it could be fuel pump. But pump turns on when key is turned and is only a few years old. I also find it hard to believe the fuel pump went coincidentally the exact time the first mechanic was working on clutch. Car started perfectly before that, I drove it there, mechanic drove it... Replaced clutch.... Wouldn't start. I'm doing the math and narrowing it down to some fault of his
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:59 PM

I manage a fleet of vehicles for my work and can tell you that mechanics nowadays dont know what they are doing. If there isnt a code for them to read they are lost so the dealership is probably just trying to throw parts at it. For me what comes to mind... anytime you work on the clutch it changes the position of where the pedal will land when fully engaged. If the pedal isn't going in far enough to engage the switch the car will never start. Usually anytime you mess with the clutch the switch has to be adjusted.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. They figured out the timing got off somehow when the original guy installed flywheel. Dealership wouldn't work on it bc car has over 200k. Have you ever heard of such have a thing?! So had to get it towed to yet another place. They confirmed the timing was off. So hopefully this is the reason it's not starting. They also said because of the times it was turned over to try to start, its possible a valve could have bent. Any thoughts on this?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:09 PM

Garage
He shouldn't have touched anything to do with the timing to do a clutch.

How did they confirm that the timing is off?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

The flywheel was changed as well and it is assumed when the guy installed it he was careless and turned the flywheel causing timing to be off. The shop it's at now, aamco, diagnosed the timing and confirmed it was off
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfzx7r99 View Post
The flywheel was changed as well and it is assumed when the guy installed it he was careless and turned the flywheel causing timing to be off. The shop it's at now, aamco, diagnosed the timing and confirmed it was off
The flywheel has nothing to do with the timing, and it can only be installed one way anyway.

One possibility is that for some reason the camshaft sensor was removed and not reinstalled correctly. But there is no reason to touch that for a clutch.

2004 Saturn Ion Redline - S256ET | Ported Head
500whp/464wtq @ 28psi on E85

2000 Z28 -
318/304 NA - 435/380 N2O

, Gone but not forgotten.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

If the flywheel was turned when he installed it, wouldn't this throw off the timing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in