Considering a high mileage redline - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Question Considering a high mileage redline

So i have the opportunity to buy a redline in very good condition other then cracked windshield for around $1200.

Its the guys daily driver however its got 200k on the clock.

Can i get your guys opinion on buying one of these with that many miles? He says its probably due for a new timing chain as well. New belt tensioner, new pads and drilled and slotted rotors all the way around, new rear caliper, new hood latch release cable, ac and heat work, moon roof works, new shifter base and short throw shifter.

thanks all

Last edited by DoomZepplin; 07-15-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:23 PM

Garage
Depending on how well it was maintained, you're probably fine for that price.

Hell, I'm pushing 500whp on a 126,000 mile shortblock. The car has been raced/beat on since I got it with 61,000 miles on it. Granted, I keep up with maintenance.
DoomZepplin likes this.

2004 Saturn Ion Redline - S256ET | Ported Head
500whp/464wtq @ 28psi on E85

2000 Z28 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
318/304 NA - 435/380 N2O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Gone but not forgotten.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

ya its going to be more of a side car/weekend car for me, i got a truck for daily things. thanks for the imput

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:36 PM

Make sure timing chain is good and let her rip. That's the biggest thing.

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk
DoomZepplin likes this.

Billy
Louisiana
03 Ion-1 Sedan (Topanga)
06 Ion Redline
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:29 AM

I'm sure you already made a decision on it but I would definitely jump on it. It's a good price. I usually see them going for around $3000 in my area. These cars are very undervalued but i guess that makes it much cheaper for us to have a quick car, right. If you are like me you will probably go through it and replace/upgrade everything anyways.
DoomZepplin likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:23 PM

Did you go through with the purchase? I'm eyeing a 04 redline, 65k miles, decent condition other than salvage title due to passenger side collision. New Passenger door and windshield and it should be good to go... also, here's post 6/10 to make me a real member of the forums lol
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCab View Post
Did you go through with the purchase? I'm eyeing a 04 redline, 65k miles, decent condition other than salvage title due to passenger side collision. New Passenger door and windshield and it should be good to go... also, here's post 6/10 to make me a real member of the forums lol

No i didnt i tried to go look at it a couple times and he was always busy and eventually he just pulled the ad, not sure what happened there. welcome, im still in the hunt. Theirs a lime green and black one near me but to flashy for me haha.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:36 AM

Sounds like he fought with himself on whether or not he should keep it.... not sure if I would ever sell mine especially with how low the value is. I'd rather keep it than sell for $3k-$4k ....I have about double that in mine just is parts. For the guy eyeing the 2004 .... if that is all you can get th han go for it but my advice is th o try and find one that is an 05-07 ...... the 2004 has a few odd things about it that are a little different like no fog lights and parts that d the nt fit exactly the same as the other models. Also the power was underrated from the factory and they tend to have more power as you get into the 2006 and 2007 . Just my 2 cents.
DoomZepplin likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:57 PM

Garage
As an avid fan of the Delta platform and the LSJ (my next project is to build a Goblin over the next year or two), I cannot recommend a 2004 to anyone. Too many annoying differences.

And I own an '04. I'm just too far along to quit now.

Also, DoomZepplin, you have a PM.

2004 Saturn Ion Redline - S256ET | Ported Head
500whp/464wtq @ 28psi on E85

2000 Z28 -
318/304 NA - 435/380 N2O

, Gone but not forgotten.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Yeah id prefer a newer comp one if i can find one. Im ok with waiting for the right car.
Thanks for the pm i seen it but i dont have enough posts to reply to it yet haha. Thanks for looking out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in