Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

Considering a high mileage redline

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  1Redline 
#1 Β· (Edited)
So i have the opportunity to buy a redline in very good condition other then cracked windshield for around $1200.

Its the guys daily driver however its got 200k on the clock.

Can i get your guys opinion on buying one of these with that many miles? He says its probably due for a new timing chain as well. New belt tensioner, new pads and drilled and slotted rotors all the way around, new rear caliper, new hood latch release cable, ac and heat work, moon roof works, new shifter base and short throw shifter.

thanks all

#2 Β·
Depending on how well it was maintained, you're probably fine for that price.

Hell, I'm pushing 500whp on a 126,000 mile shortblock. The car has been raced/beat on since I got it with 61,000 miles on it. Granted, I keep up with maintenance.

#5 Β·
I'm sure you already made a decision on it but I would definitely jump on it. It's a good price. I usually see them going for around $3000 in my area. These cars are very undervalued but i guess that makes it much cheaper for us to have a quick car, right. If you are like me you will probably go through it and replace/upgrade everything anyways.

#6 Β·
Did you go through with the purchase? I'm eyeing a 04 redline, 65k miles, decent condition other than salvage title due to passenger side collision. New Passenger door and windshield and it should be good to go... also, here's post 6/10 to make me a real member of the forums lol

#8 Β·
Sounds like he fought with himself on whether or not he should keep it.... not sure if I would ever sell mine especially with how low the value is. I'd rather keep it than sell for $3k-$4k ....I have about double that in mine just is parts. For the guy eyeing the 2004 .... if that is all you can get th han go for it but my advice is th o try and find one that is an 05-07 ...... the 2004 has a few odd things about it that are a little different like no fog lights and parts that d the nt fit exactly the same as the other models. Also the power was underrated from the factory and they tend to have more power as you get into the 2006 and 2007 . Just my 2 cents.

#9 Β·
As an avid fan of the Delta platform and the LSJ (my next project is to build a Goblin over the next year or two), I cannot recommend a 2004 to anyone. Too many annoying differences.

And I own an '04. I'm just too far along to quit now.

Also, DoomZepplin, you have a PM.

#11 Β· (Edited)
2004 has less power than the the later models ?

I would have liked to buy a new one at any year

My 2004 has been shockingly fun and well worth it.

2004 Ion Redline GM 2 stage kit

#12 Β·
That has been the general consensus. The power on all of them was underrated from the factory but as they years increased it seemed more and more underrated according to all the past stock dyno runs. With upgrades that doesn't really matter much anyways. When I was about 19 or 20 I bought a 2007 quad coupe because I couldn't afford the redline but I would have loved to buy one new. The Saturn dealership I bought my quad coupe from had a silver redline that was already stage 2 with I believe 19" rims....that thing was sweet. I do need to also state that the ion is the only Saturn I would have ever owned.... everything else was ridiculously ugly.

#14 Β·
what was the price on the 2007 gm 2 with 19 wheels? Do you remember - just curious ?

I have heard probably here on the forum that they were underrated at 205 HP and the owners confirmed some dynos at 210, 215, 220, and one recently at 236 or 237HP on the stock IRL

There were also some Saturn dealers that may have change the setup a little for promotional events as they has some "show cars" out there with different gadgets in the engine bay. These may have been significantly over 205 HP.

Wonder why these show cars never had the specs with them. May have just got lost somewhere over the years.

#16 Β·
I want to say the 2007 was either $26k or $27k and it was in October of 2006. They advertised it as having 265hp . I remember one of the guys that worked there claiming he took it out and smoked a mustang cobra. Would be nice to go back and pick up that car. The quad coupe i ended up buying was $18k and had all the options 6 CD disc changer, onstar, etc. That was what I could afford at that age. Now I'm wondering if I got ripped off..lol

#17 Β·
I got the 04 ion sedan for a couple grand less than your coupe - sunroof and 6 cd - that's all I needed at that time

it was not bad in the parking lot ....the redline is difficult to drive in the parking lot - if you know what I mean

wow 26 or 27K - that would have been a lot at that time

they must have put the stage 3 gm on that one :crying:

I know about that mustang because one time when I 1st got the redline a boss mustang smoked in front of me while I was at a light ... me being new to the

redline was puzzled. :nerd:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.