How to hide the ABS wire - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
How to hide the ABS wire How to hide the ABS wire
cavingman
07-02-2006

This is what we are hiding...

I've always felt that it's an eye-sore and an after thought by GM. I've even been asked by people at shows what it's for, and frankly have no explanation why they did it that way lol.

anyways, tools needed:
13mm socket
7mm socket (you should have a whole socket set anyways )
small flathead screwdriver
some sort of cutting tool that can cut plastic
possibly zipties
firewall grommet
1/2" drill bit, 1/4" drill bit. I bought this set from mac tools for 280 bucks. I've drilled through tons of things they arent made for. I do alot of exhaust work at my job, they come in handy sometimes.

crows foot/push-pin tool

Directions:
1. You can remove the windshield wiper cowl if you want. Makes things easier. It's held on by 2 7mm bolts and 2 pushpins. I actually just loosened it enough to move it out of the way a bit. There are 2 caps on top of the wiper arms. Remove them with a small flathead screwdriver. 13mm nuts hold on the wiper arms themselves. The wipers can be difficult to remove and you can possibly break the wiper transmission, so be carefull.

2. Next, disconnect the abs wire. There is a connector by the pass-side strut tower. disconnect it and follow the wire to the driver side where it goes into the d-side firewall. From here, you can see where the harness for the wiper motor goes under the cowl. Remove the grommet and run the abs wire through the hole.

3. The blue arrow shows where the wire goes through the grommet. The long blue line is where I routed it under the wiper motor.

This show's the wire coming out of the other side of the motor

4. This is where the wire is routed under the mount for the wiper trans.

5. This is where I got creative. I realize with a little bit of drilling I could use the pushpins GM used to hold the wire into place to begin with. So I took the 1/4 drill bit and made a hole

Then put the pushpin through

And clipped the end of it off so it doesnt touch the wiper cowl. That way it sits flush

It worked better than I thought it would. The pushpins are actually electrical taped into the wire so I didnt have to make anything either.

6. Now from here you can route the wire over the top of the firewall and down to the connector:

but thats not clean enough for me

7. Remove the 2 large pushpins holding the sound deadening material onto the firewall and pull it back a bit. Now get the biggest drillbit you can find. I used a 1/2" bit. I put a small pilot hole in the firewall, then used the 1/2 bit. make sure it's behind where the sound deadening material is or it will look sloppy. I cleaned it up a bit after but forgot to get a pic.

8. Normally I would use a firewall grommet but I didnt have any laying around, so for now I wrapped the wire in 3 or 4 layers of electrical tape until I can steal one from work. Put the wire through the hole and plug it in.

9. Now re-install everything. firewall material, wiper cowel, wiper arms, and bolt everything back down. When re-installing the wiper arms, put them in the position they normally are when they are off. If your off a little then they wont wipe right, and youll be pissed when it rains

I will append this when I get a firewall grommet. You'll want one so that vibrations dont cause the metal in the firewall to cut through the wire.

Now enjoy. Seems like alot to just hide a wire, but it was bothering me and a few others im sure.

I take no responsibility for damage/injury caused by whatever you do as a result of reading this...
Tutorial Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

redline13 on 07-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Looks good man. I've felt the same way about that little bastard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Cat Ion on 05-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavingman
This is what we are hiding...

I've always felt that it's an eye-sore and an after thought by GM. I've even been asked by people at shows what it's for, and frankly have no explanation why they did it that way lol.

anyways, tools needed:
13mm socket
7mm socket (you should have a whole socket set anyways )
small flathead screwdriver
some sort of cutting tool that can cut plastic
possibly zipties
firewall grommet
1/2" drill bit, 1/4" drill bit. I bought this set from mac tools for 280 bucks. I've drilled through tons of things they arent made for. I do alot of exhaust work at my job, they come in handy sometimes.

crows foot/push-pin tool

Directions:
1. You can remove the windshield wiper cowl if you want. Makes things easier. It's held on by 2 7mm bolts and 2 pushpins. I actually just loosened it enough to move it out of the way a bit. There are 2 caps on top of the wiper arms. Remove them with a small flathead screwdriver. 13mm nuts hold on the wiper arms themselves. The wipers can be difficult to remove and you can possibly break the wiper transmission, so be carefull.

2. Next, disconnect the abs wire. There is a connector by the pass-side strut tower. disconnect it and follow the wire to the driver side where it goes into the d-side firewall. From here, you can see where the harness for the wiper motor goes under the cowl. Remove the grommet and run the abs wire through the hole.

3. The blue arrow shows where the wire goes through the grommet. The long blue line is where I routed it under the wiper motor.

This show's the wire coming out of the other side of the motor

4. This is where the wire is routed under the mount for the wiper trans.

5. This is where I got creative. I realize with a little bit of drilling I could use the pushpins GM used to hold the wire into place to begin with. So I took the 1/4 drill bit and made a hole

Then put the pushpin through

And clipped the end of it off so it doesnt touch the wiper cowl. That way it sits flush

It worked better than I thought it would. The pushpins are actually electrical taped into the wire so I didnt have to make anything either.

6. Now from here you can route the wire over the top of the firewall and down to the connector:

but thats not clean enough for me

7. Remove the 2 large pushpins holding the sound deadening material onto the firewall and pull it back a bit. Now get the biggest drillbit you can find. I used a 1/2" bit. I put a small pilot hole in the firewall, then used the 1/2 bit. make sure it's behind where the sound deadening material is or it will look sloppy. I cleaned it up a bit after but forgot to get a pic.

8. Normally I would use a firewall grommet but I didnt have any laying around, so for now I wrapped the wire in 3 or 4 layers of electrical tape until I can steal one from work. Put the wire through the hole and plug it in.

9. Now re-install everything. firewall material, wiper cowel, wiper arms, and bolt everything back down. When re-installing the wiper arms, put them in the position they normally are when they are off. If your off a little then they wont wipe right, and youll be pissed when it rains

I will append this when I get a firewall grommet. You'll want one so that vibrations dont cause the metal in the firewall to cut through the wire.

Now enjoy. Seems like alot to just hide a wire, but it was bothering me and a few others im sure.

I take no responsibility for damage/injury caused by whatever you do as a result of reading this...
Pictures gone. Interested to see what this is all about.

GMRedline on 05-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Ion
Pictures gone. Interested to see what this is all about.
There are other How To's with the same issue. Its a shame.

elecblue06 on 05-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebristol
There are other How To's with the same issue. Its a shame.

not only is it a shame but it's also really REALLY f'in annoying
Cat Ion on 05-14-2007, 07:56 AM
So let's see if someone has those pics stored somewhere and get them listed again? Can that be done?
Cat Ion on 05-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Bump...
Cat Ion on 05-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Bump again. No one has pics stored on this ABS wire and how to hide it?
GMRedline on 06-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Im going to keep bumping this until it gets fixed. Or it should be deleted since the directions reference the pics.

dRykiLL on 04-24-2008, 04:33 PM
me too bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in