The impossible to bleed clutch. - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
The impossible to bleed clutch. The impossible to bleed clutch.
dont_blink
07-18-2006

So after a night and half today under the hood of my car I finally found the PERFECT way to bleed our clutch. Standard way that is commonly known way to do it is to put a hose on the bleeder valve and put the other end submerged in a container of brake fluid, pump the pedal a few times, turn the knob, close the knob, let the pedal go, all that jazz. This is pretty much the same, but slightly modified.

Go get a one-man bleeder kit from your local auto store. Put one end of the hose on your bleeder valve (Make sure the valve is only finger tight, but the hose is on good and tight) and the other end on the top of the bottle. Make sure the brake/clutch fluid resovoir is full the whole time you do this, if it goes down a little at all fill it back up to the brim. There is a slight hole just below full that I believe is the baffle that directs fluid into the clutch line. Fill a part of the bottle with fluid just enough to get the hose inside of it under the fluid level then close the bottle and put it above the bleeder valve somewhere so the air bubbles have an easy upward path. Now go pump the pedal a few times and release it. Go under the hood and loosen the valve a little until the fluid starts to flow, you will see lots of bubbles the first time. Let it flow until all the big bubbles really stop coming or the bottle gets full. Then close the valve. Make sure the car's resovoir doesn't get empty. Dump some of the fluid out of the bottle and close it back up, be sure to keep the hose under the fluid level. Pump the pedal a few more times and release it. Go back under the hood and turn the valve until all the little bubbles stop coming, then close it again. If the bottle is full, dump it. Watch the car's resovoir. Pump the pedal a few more times and release it. Go under the hood, loosen the bleeder, let it flow until it's just plain liquid going through, no bubbles, then close it. Make sure the resovoir is good and full then put the cap back on. Pull the bleeder kit out and start the car, pump the pedal a few times, should be decently stiff but not loose. It will engage like 2" from rest now and there will be no need to come anywhere near the floor to disengage the pressure plate.
Tutorial Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Potatoe on 01-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Another method to try without getting messy: Tap the pedal very lightly with the cap off of the reservoir. You will need to do this for several minutes. This way has been the most sucsessful way for me. I have bled alot of GM clutches with this method. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
DynoGator on 11-11-2010, 01:54 PM
a power bleeder is the way to go (not a vacuum pump).... not many shops offer the service, you can order a power bleeder kit, or make one like I ended up doing... the clutch pedal must be in the upright position when the bleeder valve is closed, ( and there can't be any air in the system ) it only makes sense to have a positive pressure bleeder from the bleeder valve...

mvp8839 on 11-11-2010, 05:37 PM
These cars can br blead using a vac pump in as little as 30 minutes. Most of that 30 minutes is spent waiting. The Gm method works. Plain and simple.
DynoGator on 11-15-2010, 12:39 AM
sometimes you just get air in a stubborn spot, I spent alot of time getting frustrated with the GM method. if it worked the way it was supposed to, people wouldn't be searching for alternative methods of bleeding their clutch. in my opinion reverse bleeding is superior because all of the air is being forced up to the resivor ( keeping a solid stream of hydro fluid flowing into the bleeder valve), with the clutch pedal in the upright position during the procedure, lessening the chance of air being between the slave and master. I was skeptical too, but it worked the first time....
REDLINE1RACER on 03-08-2011, 01:26 PM
I am in big trouble. Hopefully you guys can help me. I recently did a clutch swap on my car everything went fine however when I went to bleed the clutch the elbow that attaches on the spout on the transmission was leaking. After looking further I determined that I am missing that little plastic sealer cap that goes on top of the spout on the transmission. This spout runs down to the slave cylinder. Could you please assist me with a GM part number? Any help you can give would be much appreciated.
MandyGirl on 01-30-2014, 04:46 PM
Clutch Bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoGator View Post
a power bleeder is the way to go (not a vacuum pump).... not many shops offer the service, you can order a power bleeder kit, or make one like I ended up doing... the clutch pedal must be in the upright position when the bleeder valve is closed, ( and there can't be any air in the system ) it only makes sense to have a positive pressure bleeder from the bleeder valve...
How does one make a power bleeder?
philzoot007 on 01-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Tue best way I have found to bleed this clutch is to push the fluid up from the distribution block. Put a tube that fits tight on the bleeder valve nipple. Put the other end of the line on something that can push the fluid in. I used a big syringe type of thing but no needle at the end if it. It's used to to flush my dogs cut when he hurt his leg. Once u figure something out to do this u can crack the bleeder with the clutch down. Push fluid in with plunger or what ever u made. Close bleeder. Pump pedal. Should be good to go. If not refill ur contraption and repeat. U will feel the difference on the first try for sure. Just might need a second time to make sure. Hope this makes sense and helps. The tube I used to hook up to the bleeder was from a mityvac Vacuum bleeder kit for brakes and xlurches. No other way has ever worked for me.

F_ck Bates
MandyGirl on 01-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Clutch Bleed

Thanks Phil,
If I understand it right, we'll find something like a syringe to force the fluid from the bleeder down by the transaxle back through the clutch master while someone is holding the Clutch pedal down?
Thank you again,
M
philzoot007 on 01-31-2014, 07:32 AM
U are understanding correctly. Good luck.

F_ck Bates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in