How To: Sub/Stereo/Amp Install with Factory Radio *non-AAS* - Page 2 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 64 Old 08-17-2006, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
snobrdrdan

How To: Sub/Stereo/Amp Install with Factory Radio *non-AAS*

Alright....well I made just a little bit of progress today on my sub install while using the factory radio with my non-AAS system in my '07

First off.....flip down the rear seats and pull the plastic push pins out that hold the back shelf down. A "panel/trim puller" (like from Crutchfield) reall

Last edited by snobrdrdan; 06-28-2008 at 03:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

snobrdrdan on 10-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet

I got a "sticky" thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
crazybrew609 on 10-24-2006, 06:05 PM
just a quick observation.. it's cheaper to get 6ft of speed wire and run from behind the radio right to the amp and use the speaker input harness with the sub rather then tap the rear speakers and convert them over to an RCA signal.. speed wire will also include a remote wire as well so you make all your taps behind the deck and then run one wire (which contains all the wires needed) to the back and go right into the sub.. i've used speed wire on all my stock radio/amp installs.. works great b/c if it doesn't work you only have to check one spot for connections.. not 3 or 4 to make sure everything is tight.. plus the signal is clearer directly from the deck

snobrdrdan on 10-25-2006, 12:45 AM
I had the LOC already & that's what I've always used & been familiar with.

Quick search of the forums, before I did the install, just said to tap the rear speakers to hook it up....so that's what I did to keep it simple.

What's "speed wire" though???
Never heard of it
Sp00ner on 10-25-2006, 09:48 AM
I just tapped the wires before they go into the amp... same difference.

handyjoe on 11-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Snobrbrdan,

what do you think about tapping into a different wire for the remote turn on?

I was playing with some wiring yesterday, and tapped into the rear cigarette lighter. I dunno if that will introduce some funny ground noise, but it works as a switched 12V power (not to be confused with the front cig lighter, which is always on).

I don't have anything hooked up permanently (just wired up my old setup to test it and then tore it out) but the amp turned on and was working well for the 10 minutes i had it going.
snobrdrdan on 11-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Hmmm...that's a possibility, BUT the cig. lighter might stay on for a certain amount of time if the car is off (some cars do that--I don't know about the RL for sure cuz I haven't ever used the cig. lighters). The remote turn on goes/works directly with the radio....so it's working just like if you had an aftermarket HU in there.

It's not gonna hurt anything if the amp was still on, but I'm the kind of guy that wants it working right & wants the amp off when I get out of the car...u know?

Do you have the AAS system or no?? I mean it's REALLY REALLY REALLY frickin' simple to run it from the passenger kick panel. Just tap into it & run the wire under the trim panel....doesn't really get any easier than that.

Plus there isn't any noise or interference with that remote turn on too. This was by far the easiest (OEM) stereo to add subs to for me.
handyjoe on 11-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan
Hmmm...that's a possibility, BUT the cig. lighter might stay on for a certain amount of time if the car is off (some cars do that--I don't know about the RL for sure cuz I haven't ever used the cig. lighters). The remote turn on goes/works directly with the radio....so it's working just like if you had an aftermarket HU in there.

It's not gonna hurt anything if the amp was still on, but I'm the kind of guy that wants it working right & wants the amp off when I get out of the car...u know?

Do you have the AAS system or no?? I mean it's REALLY REALLY REALLY frickin' simple to run it from the passenger kick panel. Just tap into it & run the wire under the trim panel....doesn't really get any easier than that.

Plus there isn't any noise or interference with that remote turn on too. This was by far the easiest (OEM) stereo to add subs to for me.
I don't have AAS. If I did, I would have just taken the remote on from that amp.

The cig lighter turns on/off with the radio. On with the key, off with the doors opening.

The only thing I'm halfway worried about is the interference. I think I'll leave it as-is for now, and if I get some interference (say, if I plug in my phone charger) then I'll run it up front. It just seemed like a slick way to run a short wire.

Also, since you found a neat little place to put the line level converter, you didn't happen to see a cool place for a distribution block, did you? I'll be running an amp for my front speakers as well, so I need a good place to hide that.
snobrdrdan on 11-28-2006, 09:23 AM
It's totally up to.....but I would just run it to the passenger kick panel....that way you can just tuck the wire under the carpet and/or trim panel.

If you use the cigarette lighter, then you gotta run the remote under the carpet/rear seat instead which might just be a tad harder, but that's your call

Hmmm...where are you gonna run/hide your amps at??

The distribution block......It could go anywhere, but I'd just run that by/off the battery (right by the spare tire) and then run the power cables from there.....there really isn't another free spot that I can think of. That's what'd I do though.
handyjoe on 11-28-2006, 09:36 AM
I'm thinking of mounting them to the rear seat. It seems like the easiest, most out of the way place. It is either that or make an amp rack of sorts in the opposite corner from my sub.
snobrdrdan on 12-04-2006, 01:51 AM
I personally wouldn't mount the amps to the back of the seat, but that's me

Reason being that if you ever wanna fold your seats down to haul something then you got your amps in the way (wouldn't wanna scratch them). Plus your wires are showing, unless you run them hidden (then it's fine).

I'd suggest an amp rack in the corner or something & put some plexiglass over it to show it off.......sounds more difficult (obviously), but it'll look better

Do it right the first time & you'll be happier instead of redoing it later down the road

Again...it's your car & do what you want....just my 2 cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in