How To: Sub/Stereo/Amp Install with Factory Radio *non-AAS* - Page 5 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 64 Old 08-17-2006, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
snobrdrdan

How To: Sub/Stereo/Amp Install with Factory Radio *non-AAS*

Alright....well I made just a little bit of progress today on my sub install while using the factory radio with my non-AAS system in my '07

First off.....flip down the rear seats and pull the plastic push pins out that hold the back shelf down. A "panel/trim puller" (like from Crutchfield) reall

Last edited by snobrdrdan; 06-28-2008 at 03:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

XeroState on 10-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan
Ohhh...just the sub....I get it

I was gonna say...the trunks are totally different styles
It's not TOTALLY different, just different enough....lol If you spent enough time and effort you could likely get it to fit [heat gun, sand off the old mounting spots so it can fit flush, etc].. but I am WAY to lazy to do it.. so much easier to just make a box or buy one.. depending on personal taste/skill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
snobrdrdan on 10-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Well yeah I'm sure you could modify it with fiberglass to fit or something (the Focus SVT guys mod the back of the stock box to fit bigger subs).....but at that point it'd be cheaper to just start from scratch building a fiberglass box....u know???

GMRedline on 10-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroState
It's not TOTALLY different, just different enough....lol If you spent enough time and effort you could likely get it to fit [heat gun, sand off the old mounting spots so it can fit flush, etc].. but I am WAY to lazy to do it.. so much easier to just make a box or buy one.. depending on personal taste/skill.
There is no way that it would fit in the same spot as the cobalt without drastically altering the shape of the sub enclosure. And it would get in the way of my golf clubs.

Here are a couple of pics.

I had to remove the 3 of the 4 mounting points to get it to lay flat because the floor of the spare tire location is uneven. I also had to remove the speaker cover because it was too tall and would touch the bottom of the trunk carpet. I thought about cutting a hole in the carpet and letting it stick through but I use my trunk way too much.

The best part is that I still have a full trunk and there is absolutely no signs of an aftermarket sub install.

snobrdrdan on 10-31-2007, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebristol
The best part is that I still have a full trunk and there is absolutely no signs of an aftermarket sub install.
Technically, it's a OEM sub install

Very very interesting though!

What do you have holding it down or stopping it from sliding around??

And you took out your spare tire just to put that in?? Reminds me of the Acura RSX Bose sub....hmmm...that might be a good idea to get if you wanted to keep your spare tire...

Do you get the sound you're looking for out of it??
GMRedline on 10-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Technically, it's a OEM sub install
Its not OEM for my car!

Quote:
!

What do you have holding it down or stopping it from sliding around??
On the back of the enclosure there is a bolt that taps into the magnet on the sub and holds the sub and the enclosure together from the rear. I replaced that bolt with an eye hole bolt and then used a zip tie to secure the eye hole to the spare tire mounting location. It moves a little bit in each direction but it wouldn't jump around on hard breaking.

Quote:

And you took out your spare tire just to put that in??
Yeah I took it out. I have Roadside assistance on my car that I can call if I get a flat or something. I use my trunk a lot.

You would be surprised at the amount of stuff you can fit in the ION! Not so much the RL because the passenger seat doesn't fold all the way down. Our trunk is HUGE compared to any 2 door coupe! My brother owns and G6 and I have to pull the woods out of my bag to get my bag to fit in his trunk. With the ION, everything slides right in.

Quote:
Do you get the sound you're looking for out of it??
It sounds good. I was not looking for anything boomy. Like I mentioned earlier I have the gains on the amp all the way down. The bass hit are really crisp.

I would compare it to the pioneer system (or any factory installed sub system) they use in the 03+ tibs. I have the bass level where most people can still enjoy the music.

handyjoe on 10-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Quote:
My brother owns and G6 and I have to pull the woods out of my bag to get my bag to fit in his trunk.
I just thought I would quote this sentence, because I found it kind of funny.
GMRedline on 10-31-2007, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by handyjoe
I just thought I would quote this sentence, because I found it kind of funny.
That's taken out of context! lol

snobrdrdan on 10-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Quote:
You would be surprised at the amount of stuff you can fit in the ION! Not so much the RL because the passenger seat doesn't fold all the way down. Our trunk is HUGE compared to any 2 door coupe! My brother owns and G6 and I have to pull the woods out of my bag to get my bag to fit in his trunk. With the ION, everything slides right in.
Yeah I agree....I looked at a G6 at the dealer last week & it doesn't have a deep trunk like ours at all. Ours is deep & goes back....it is nice sized for a small car

Quote:
I would compare it to the pioneer system (or any factory installed sub system) they use in the 03+ tibs. I have the bass level where most people can still enjoy the music.
If you're talking about a Tiburon, I could've sworn they had Infinity systems
redline3104 on 05-04-2008, 12:04 PM
whats AAS??? how do i know if my car is non aas?? i have a 04 rl
snobrdrdan on 05-08-2008, 03:56 AM
AAS = Advanced Audio System (6 speaker system with an amplifier)

Non-AAS = 4 speaker system with NO amplifier (just the headunit)

If you have tweeters (by the front edge of the windows) on your driver & passenger doors, and also a small silver amplifier underneath the rear shelf (you'll see it when you open the trunk), then that means you have the AAS system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in