How To: Tweeter Install with AAS Panels (pics) - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
How To:  Tweeter Install with AAS Panels (pics) How To: Tweeter Install with AAS Panels (pics)
snobrdrdan
10-25-2006

So the stock speakers suck. My subs added some nice lows, but then I wasn't hearing the highs.....so I decided to add some tweeters.

First thing I did was buy the Advanced Audio System sail panels (~$20-25 for the pair) that have tweeters in them from the factory with that option. I didn't order the stock tweeters with them though...just the panels.

Part Numbers:
Left - 22725265
Right - 22725264

For the tweeters, I used a set of Infinity Reference 1" silk dome (1011t) tweeters that I already had.

I went with flush mounting the tweeters in the panels to keep a smooth look. This his how they the Infinity's are set up....they have a threaded outside & a big plastic nut to hold it from behind.

First thing to do was drill out the mesh looking grille on the AAS panels. That was done with a 1 3/4" hole saw.

Then I took a Dremel to the leftover lip and tried to bevel down as much of the leftover "mesh" as possible.

Slide the tweeter thru the hole.

Then tighten down the big "nut" that screws onto the threaded tweeter assembly. Then tightened that down as much as possible.

Next was to run the crossover to the door speaker wiring. The Infinity's use inline crossovers.

Take the door panel off. Pop off the sail panel. Undo 2 screws in the door pull (under the rubber). Undo one screw in the front bottom corner. Then the door is held on by a bunch (6 or 7) of plastic clips--pry around the door or pull out towards you. Unplug the electrical harnesses before removing the door panel.

For the crossover wiring.....I just used 3M line taps on the speaker wiring--I know some people frown upon those, but they have always done the job for me & I'll take them out when I turn the car in and take the tweeters out.

As for the wire colors.....I don't know if these are right or not because I "thought" I wrote down the colors when I did the install, but I forgot to. Taking the door panel off was a pain in the ass, so I'm not gonna check now. But after searching thru wire diagrams it goes something like this:

Left Front:
+ Tan
- Grey

Right Front:
+ Dark Green
- Light Green

Run the crossover up to the door & the wires to the top by where the sail panel goes. I zip tied the extra wire to the stock wiring.

Put the door panel back on. Then the wiring should be exposed like this for the tweeters:

Plug the tweeter connections (came like this from Infinity already with the spade connectors) into the wiring & snap the panels back in. That's it!

Before & After pics:

The Infinity tweeters match the silver accents in the Ion perfectly too! They sound awesome & have really balanced the stereo out now
Tutorial Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

handyjoe on 10-25-2006, 06:53 AM
I need that nut that holds the speakers down. My tweeters don't have that nut. Where did you get it?

I need to modify my panels, they're sitting with my components in a box, both waiting on me to get a new headunit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Chachi on 10-25-2006, 07:49 AM
good write up man, great pics.

snobrdrdan on 10-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by handyjoe
I need that nut that holds the speakers down. My tweeters don't have that nut. Where did you get it?
What tweeters do you have??

It came with the tweeters. That's how the Infinity's mount.....it's called their I-Mount system & it's something that's unique/patented to Infinity. There was also a "Starfish" mounting bracket that came with them, but I didn't use that and wouldn't have worked with this setup.
handyjoe on 10-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan
What tweeters do you have??

It came with the tweeters. That's how the Infinity's mount.....it's called their I-Mount system & it's something that's unique/patented to Infinity. There was also a "Starfish" mounting bracket that came with them, but I didn't use that and wouldn't have worked with this setup.
That explains it. I have elemental designs tweeters.

I'll get mine done here in a couple weeks. It may look a little funny, but at least it will sound good.
Jerm on 10-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Thats were I put mine too. That looks good

I just used the original one and cut a hole in it. Looks factory
snobrdrdan on 10-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Yeah that was "plan B" if the tweeters didn't fit in the AAS tweeter panels.....so I bought both sets (another stock set & these panels that I used) just in case

But since they worked....that's why I'm selling the (new) stock ones now:
https://www.redlineforums.com/forums/...il-panels.html
Chachi on 10-26-2006, 07:04 PM
So SnobrdDan?

Would you say either 3/4 in. or 1/2 in. tweeters would be easier to install?

Just asking cuz I'm looking to replace the door speakers with some JL audio components. Cant decide which set, but they come with either of the 2 sizes tweeters I mentioned above.
redline13 on 10-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi
So SnobrdDan?

Just asking cuz I'm looking to replace the door speakers with some JL audio components. Cant decide which set, but they come with either of the 2 sizes tweeters I mentioned above.
Make sure the speakers in the kits will fit in the space in the door. I bought an Alpine component set and the speakers were too deep and wouldn't fit.
snobrdrdan on 10-28-2006, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi
So SnobrdDan?

What you gotta look at is how wide the tweeter assembly is when you flush mount it. JL lists how wide they are on the their website, but I don't know which exact set of components you're looking at.

The overall width of the frame of these Infinity's was 2".....which is almost the exact same width as the "mesh grille" in the tweeter panel (it's about 2 1/16"). And then with a cutout of 1 3/4".....there was still a 1/4" lip to hold it in place.

So you probably wanna make sure that they are 2" wide (the "frame") if you want it to look like how mine did. If you do with something bigger than 2" than they won't fit and will overhang. If you go with something smaller than you're gonna have a ring of the mesh around the tweeter.

Other options would be to mount the tweeter behind the grille, but would be pretty tricky unless you're comfortable (permanently) JB welding it or something like that. Someone did that on CarDomain (it's not the factory tweeter behind there since this one is red):

Or you could buy the factory tweeters (~$60 for the pair) that would snap right in, but they don't have a crossover.

Or the last option would be to use the non-AAS panel (no tweeter pod) & drill whatever size hole you need & flush mount it. That makes it a little easier & you can use whatever size tweeter you want or that comes with the components. Someone on here did it with a Kicker component set:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in