Throttle Body Cleaning - Page 2 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 110 Old 07-11-2007, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
RL_Clark

Throttle Body Cleaning

Well everybody, this is my first How-To article. I know that plenty of you are aggravated, as i also was, with the idle surging issue that begins around 13k miles. Some kind fellows on here mentioned cleaning the throttle body, and briefly described the process. I took some "low quality" photos of w

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SilverRedLine04 on 10-26-2007, 06:02 PM
step 8.

do not connect your intercooler resuvar overflow to your throtle body..

its not good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
RL_Clark on 10-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaHater
I just did this to my car today.....damn what a difference!!! it's like i gained 20hp...lol. my throttle response is wayyyyyy higher now!!! car runs great!! awesome write up!! thank you!!
I'm glad that helped you out. Hopefully it will last a little while for you. I'm soon to do mine again along with cleaning the air filter and hopefully staying away from idle surge until next summer.

As for my previous post in this thread: yes, I am retarded as for where I hooked up vacuum hose. However, that's not where the coolant was going, it was a cracked head that caused the loss of coolant.

cyrix on 11-02-2007, 06:02 PM
That's cool...I just got done cleaning and performing the test drive. Guess that woke up a few sleepy ponies, it's a very noticable difference! It definately seems gutsier, and the throttle response is SO much smoother!! It's amazing what a little time and effort can do to fo yo ride! However, I did'nt find it neccesary to completely remove the intake. I just popped it off the throttle body and turned it towards the front. Still, it might have been easier to just take to whole thing out. Anyway, great write-up! Now, I just have to change the damn oil and put on my winter tread and I'll be set for winter! Cool breeze =)
lwevert on 02-09-2008, 01:44 PM
I just cleaned mine and holy crap I wouldn't think it would be that dirty with only 13k on it. But the catch can is in know so hopefully that helps.
mike04blue on 11-03-2008, 09:35 AM
I just cleaned mine last night. It was nasty. I took pictures that I will post later when I get home. I had a real problem with the electrical connector on the TB. I got the grey wedge out, ended up breaking it in half. With the wedge out, the connector still would not budge. So I had to put a pail under the TB and clean it with the plug still attatched. I stuck the wedge back in two pieces. I'm not afraid of the connector coming off because I pulled and pulled and it stayed put. Can anybody shed some light on how to remove the connector?
sierominus on 11-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike04blue View Post
I just cleaned mine last night. It was nasty. I took pictures that I will post later when I get home. I had a real problem with the electrical connector on the TB. I got the grey wedge out, ended up breaking it in half. With the wedge out, the connector still would not budge. So I had to put a pail under the TB and clean it with the plug still attatched. I stuck the wedge back in two pieces. I'm not afraid of the connector coming off because I pulled and pulled and it stayed put. Can anybody shed some light on how to remove the connector?

The connector is tricky as balls. I took the grey piece out and still could not get it out-So I wiggled it back and fourth for about 5 minutes and it slowly, but surely came off. You can clean the throttle body with that connector on it just makes it kinda difficult-Its amazing how much more throttle response you get after cleaning it.
mike04blue on 11-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Yes, I hate the connector. I noticed a huge difference in throttle response. It did however create a new problem. Before I cleaned the TB, it would idle kind of rough and hunt between 500 and 1,000 rpm. It idles great now, stays just under 1,000. But now when I'm driving, If I put the car in neutral it stays at about 1,300-1,400 and wont come down to normal idle until I'm pretty much stopped. I have no idea what this might be. Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierominus View Post
The connector is tricky as balls. I took the grey piece out and still could not get it out-So I wiggled it back and fourth for about 5 minutes and it slowly, but surely came off. You can clean the throttle body with that connector on it just makes it kinda difficult-Its amazing how much more throttle response you get after cleaning it.
mike04blue on 11-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Before pics

Here are my before pics. No wonder it wasn't idling right and felt a bit sluggish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 927.jpg
Views:	6608
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	10451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 928.jpg
Views:	2241
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	10452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 929.jpg
Views:	4665
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	10453  
RL_Clark on 11-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Are all of you guys that have had this problem running premium (>91 octane) fuel?? The service manager at my local stealership is stating that the car does not require premium fuel, nor is it recommended. I can't seem to locate my owner's manual, but it certainly doesn't say anywhere on the car to use premium fuel. They are also saying that my excessive buildup causing a dirty TB, burned out cat, O2 sensor, plugs.....and the list goes on is due to me running 93 octane fuel for the last 43k miles. I may just pull the TB off tomorrow before work and check out the amount of buildup inside of there.

**Edit: I just found my owner's manual and it states specifically: "If your vehicle has the 2.4L L4 engine (VIN Code B) or the 2.0L Supercharged engine (VIN Code P), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher"

Last edited by RL_Clark; 11-13-2008 at 05:47 PM..
mike04blue on 11-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL_Clark View Post
Are all of you guys that have had this problem running premium (>91 octane) fuel?? The service manager at my local stealership is stating that the car does not require premium fuel, nor is it recommended. I can't seem to locate my owner's manual, but it certainly doesn't say anywhere on the car to use premium fuel. They are also saying that my excessive buildup causing a dirty TB, burned out cat, O2 sensor, plugs.....and the list goes on is due to me running 93 octane fuel for the last 43k miles. I may just pull the TB off tomorrow before work and check out the amount of buildup inside of there.

**Edit: I just found my owner's manual and it states specifically: "If your vehicle has the 2.4L L4 engine (VIN Code B) or the 2.0L Supercharged engine (VIN Code P), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher"

Hey Clark I've been running 91 octane since I bought it new in '05. I think I may have put 93 or 94 in once. All sources I have checked say that the car requires 91 octane or better due to the low compression (9.5:1) that the car has due to the supercharger setup. The sources also stated that if you put regular 87 octane gas you can get pinging. My dealer told me that the TB was clogging because of the oil from the K&N air filter I put in the factory air box. (k&n p/n e1009) Like mentioned on these forums though, Saturn dealers don't seem to know ****all about the 2.0 LSJ and GM dealers know a bit more due to the fact that Cobalt SS's are much more common
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in