Throttle Body Cleaning - Page 3 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 110 Old 07-11-2007, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
RL_Clark

Throttle Body Cleaning

Well everybody, this is my first How-To article. I know that plenty of you are aggravated, as i also was, with the idle surging issue that begins around 13k miles. Some kind fellows on here mentioned cleaning the throttle body, and briefly described the process. I took some "low quality" photos of w

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

RL_Clark on 11-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike04blue View Post
Hey Clark I've been running 91 octane since I bought it new in '05. I think I may have put 93 or 94 in once. All sources I have checked say that the car requires 91 octane or better due to the low compression (9.5:1) that the car has due to the supercharger setup. The sources also stated that if you put regular 87 octane gas you can get pinging. My dealer told me that the TB was clogging because of the oil from the K&N air filter I put in the factory air box. (k&n p/n e1009) Like mentioned on these forums though, Saturn dealers don't seem to know ****all about the 2.0 LSJ and GM dealers know a bit more due to the fact that Cobalt SS's are much more common
That's what I had always thought. I hadn't heard of the TB buildup being caused by the use of a K&N filter though. The only problems I've heard of caused by the K&N is over-oiling the filter creating buildup on the MAF sensor and throwing codes that way. I realize that the buildup on the TB isn't from the type of fuel used, I just don't really know why it builds up so fast. In the two years that I've owned the car, I've fully removed and thoroughly cleaned the TB three times along with the SC inlet. It does seem that my dealer knows nothing about the LSJ. After all, I had to teach them how the two different cooling systems work and that they are in no way integrated. I guess since they likely only service three RL's none of which are modified at all (including GMPP stage kits, which is all I have), they just don't know much about the engine/car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Wiseion on 03-14-2009, 02:38 AM
could it work to "quick sand with 1200-2000 paper" instead of throttle body cleaner?

johnc1968 on 04-06-2009, 11:12 PM
well done cl!!!!!!!
lilhomieb07 on 04-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Just to add, if u use steel wool to clean the TB it wont build back up, its like polishing it. I havent have to clean my TB in over 5k miles and i just check on Thursday and still clean the time i steel wooled it lol.
redline2004 on 05-07-2009, 11:10 PM
when you say dont t over tighten! how tight what should they be torqued to? thanks planning to do this this weekend as its running rough and rpms dancing
lilhomieb07 on 05-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Tighten to 18ftlbs on the throttle body bolts.

Ull be gravy then.
fduflyer on 07-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Thumbs up Pretty sweet

3 rags and a whole lot of gunk later, my car is running smooth. I had 48,000 miles worth built up in there. I only had one problem. . .I couldn't get the damn connector off. Oh well, maybe next time.

-Thanks for the write up, very clearly done. Even for an amateur like me.
Fizbandantalus on 07-10-2009, 06:03 PM
the plug comes off, there is a little grey plastic piece that pulls out and use a flat head screw drive and push down on the tab it covered, then use the flat head where the grey cap comes off, just did this today and i have 15k miles and it looked like ur throttlebody
Darkvette on 08-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Great post!!!! Cleaned out the TB - now the car runs and idles like new. Now I just gotta do that to my '05 QC and my wife's '07 Sedan.
RL_Clark on 09-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the compliments! I'm glad this helped you guys out. As for the connector, it's just a PITA. No ifs ands or buts about it, that thing is difficult to get apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in