Throttle Body Cleaning - Page 4 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 110 Old 07-11-2007, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
RL_Clark

Throttle Body Cleaning

Well everybody, this is my first How-To article. I know that plenty of you are aggravated, as i also was, with the idle surging issue that begins around 13k miles. Some kind fellows on here mentioned cleaning the throttle body, and briefly described the process. I took some "low quality" photos of w

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Darkvette on 09-03-2009, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL_Clark View Post
Thanks for the compliments! I'm glad this helped you guys out. As for the connector, it's just a PITA. No ifs ands or buts about it, that thing is difficult to get apart.
Actually, I found there is a trick to the connector. It's a standard GM click connector. You can either use a small flat-blade screwdriver at the front (closest to the throttle body) and pry it off that way, or there is a tab at the back (by the wires) that you can press down and with enough force, it'll come loose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
fughidabowit on 09-04-2009, 02:34 PM
okay - I'm a newbie - I'm having a hard time getting the air hose off for some reason...i've loosened both aluminum rings but cant easily pull it off...does it just take some herculean strength to pull the thing off?

Cat Ion on 09-04-2009, 08:26 PM
gotta give it some strength and twist gently. Should pull loose.
jt_royer on 01-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Great

great post. I took mine apart last night to reveal some nasties. It looked like the inside of an M16 after firing 100 rounds of blanks. After the cleaning, I have noticed quite a difference in performance.
bluesat on 01-25-2010, 06:37 PM
hey where do you install the catch can? do you need a new hose for it
wodahs on 08-22-2010, 12:16 AM
I killed this! THanks for the write up!
RedlineNoob on 08-22-2010, 01:54 AM
I need a step by step with video on how to get that damn plug off the tb. Guess the previous owner glued it on with gorilla glue.
GETCARTER on 12-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Wow, I cleaned my throttle body and it works much much better. THe car has 87,000km on it and I would say its the first for being cleaned. The only thing that I can complain about is the stuppppid connector to the throttle body, I must of played with it for 15 minutes before I decided to clean it with it still connected. Thanks for the write up.
RedlineNoob on 12-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETCARTER View Post
Wow, I cleaned my throttle body and it works much much better. THe car has 87,000km on it and I would say its the first for being cleaned. The only thing that I can complain about is the stuppppid connector to the throttle body, I must of played with it for 15 minutes before I decided to clean it with it still connected. Thanks for the write up.
Every time I clean mine I try to get the plug off then give up and clean it with it connected.
OmegaRush on 02-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info

I had these problems for a while now (Idle hunting). I came across this how-to, cleaned up my Throttle Body today (it was almost as dirty as my mom), and my Red Line doesn't idle hunt anymore. Check engine light stays off now. I'm not one to pull apart my car since it's my daily driver, but the how-two was easy enough for me to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RL_Throttle_Body.jpg
Views:	3236
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	15218  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in