Throttle Body Cleaning - Page 8 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 110 Old 07-11-2007, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
RL_Clark

Throttle Body Cleaning

Well everybody, this is my first How-To article. I know that plenty of you are aggravated, as i also was, with the idle surging issue that begins around 13k miles. Some kind fellows on here mentioned cleaning the throttle body, and briefly described the process. I took some "low quality" photos of w

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

recaro86 on 02-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Re: Throttle Body Cleaning

The high hanging can be normal for a day after the cleaning it seems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Rastaman on 02-19-2013, 11:28 AM
I am hoping that it goes away, It was running fine before i cleaned it and the filter, maybe it likes it dirty lol

JDETAINED on 05-20-2014, 05:25 PM
I'm about to install a Typhoon this weekend. And while I'm at it...figured I would take the extra lil bit of time to clean my TB as well as the MAF . I bought the dedicated CRC cleaners for each type. But I have a question...car is an 06. And I have read many articles about NOT moving the butterfly valve on the TB while it's off the car or you will need a re-program of the PCM. It always states later model vehicles but never really gives any specific years. So is the 06 IRL late model enough?? Or will it be ok to take it off and move the flap inside ? I already know not to get any of the cleaner inside the SuperCharger...no worries there, just use a damp rag on the inlet only. But any clarification on the TB rule would be appreciated. Thanks!!
REDLINE1313 on 05-21-2014, 07:54 AM
I never heard that before. Im pretty sure I moved mine the last two times I cleaned it with no problems afterward. Its spring loaded so it fully closes itself I find it odd that it would cause a problem but maybe I got lucky. Mine is an 07 btw.
VRT_RONBO on 05-22-2014, 11:41 AM
I have an '04 and have cleaned the TB a couple of times. I always move the butterfly valve to clean and have never had an issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
RedLined on 05-22-2014, 01:38 PM
I was told by a tech once not to mess with it while its still plugged in and the key is in the acc/run position. I dont see how that could ever happen unless one just forgets to take the keys out of the ignition before removing it.
REDLINE1313 on 05-22-2014, 02:23 PM
You should always take it off to clean it anyway.
RedLined on 05-22-2014, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLINE1313 View Post
You should always take it off to clean it anyway.
Well obviously. The point he was making was not to remove it, or open or close the valve manually while the TB has power going to it. I dont know if you've ever noticed, but the TB valve opens slightly when you turn the key to acc/run.
RL_Clark on 05-25-2014, 01:02 PM
I'm glad to see a post I wrote so long ago is still proving to be helpful! I never had issues about resetting anything. As was mentioned earlier, completely disconnect the TB from the car before cleaning. The valve is spring loaded, so it will return to a closed position.
Rowdydudeman on 05-25-2014, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLined View Post
Well obviously. The point he was making was not to remove it, or open or close the valve manually while the TB has power going to it. I dont know if you've ever noticed, but the TB valve opens slightly when you turn the key to acc/run.
Unplug your tb before doing this. If it has power to it and closes on your finger it will either bend the throttle plate or nearly remove your finger. Unplugging and cleaning (even moving the plate) will only serve to clean your tb. It will NOT mess anything up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in