Throttle Body Cleaning - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Tutorial Tools
Throttle Body Cleaning Throttle Body Cleaning
Get rid of idle surge
RL_Clark
07-11-2007

Well everybody, this is my first How-To article. I know that plenty of you are aggravated, as i also was, with the idle surging issue that begins around 13k miles. Some kind fellows on here mentioned cleaning the throttle body, and briefly described the process. I took some "low quality" photos of what to do:

Materials:
1. 7mm Driver or Socket
2. Slotted Screwdiver
3. 10mm Socket
4. Throttle Body Cleaner
5. Lint-free Towels
6. Plenty of Ventilation

Procedure:
1. Remove the air intake hose that runs from the air box to the throttle body.
a. Loosen hose clamps (7mm hex head for throttle body end, 7mm hex head or slotted screw driver for air box end).
*The hose clamp at the air box end is slightly difficult to reach. I recommend a short slotted screw driver, as the hex driver of 8" that I used was nearly too long.
b. Remove air hose from throttle body, disconnect EGR hose, and lift air hose from air box.

2. The throttle body is connected to the supercharger by four (4) 10mm bolts. Remove the bolts, and throttle body will separate from supercharger. There is still a plug and a hose connected to the throttle body. Unplug the electrical connection and remove hose from throttle body. Remove orange gasket that is inset into the supercharger.
*Note the build up along the inner wall of the throttle body as well as the inlet to the supercharger.

3. Using throttle body cleaner and a lint-free towel, spray inside of throttle body with cleaner. Open butterfly valve and continue to spray. Wipe away carbon build up with towel. Repeat until thoroughly cleaned.
*While you have it out, you may as well clean the outside of it too and make it look as new outside as it will inside.

4. Spray a lint-free towel with throttle body cleaner (DO NOT spray throttle body cleaner into supercharger!!) and wipe away build up from supercharger inlet. Repeat until thoroughly cleaned.

5. Replace gasket to inset on supercharger inlet.

6. Reattach throttle body to supercharger positioned as shown:
Relpace four (4) 10mm bolts
*DO NOT overtighten these bolts!
Reattach electrical plug and ventilation hose.

7. Set air hose onto air box and tighten clamp using 7mm hex head or slotted screwdriver. Reattach air hose to throttle body and tighten clamp with 7mm hex head. Attach EGR hose to air hose.

Now the job is complete. Start car and run air conditioner. Rev engine to 1500-2000 rpms, and notice the lack of idle surges. I hope this write-up is good enough for everybody here.
Tutorial Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

sheek360 on 07-11-2007, 03:59 PM
very nice write up bro! that shit was nasty dude, u running a catchcan yet?

redlin-er on 07-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Nice job!

Doing it tonight. Got the hood open right now in the garage let her cool down from the ride home. Hope this helps the idle problems.

Thanks!

redlin-er on 07-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Done and Done!

No more idling problems tonight.

With all the other wizes with thousands of post you would of though this might have came up earlier? Excuse me if it has.

Anyway, great results for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawaiian Whore on 07-11-2007, 10:07 PM
very nice my friend... very nice indeed. this will be done sunday (after hin) and i will post with results

RL_Clark on 07-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheek360
very nice write up bro! that shit was nasty dude, u running a catchcan yet?
Thanks for the compliments.
No, I'm not running a catch can. This is going to be dumb, and I know I can probably find it somewhere here, but what exactly does a catch can do?

sheek360 on 07-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL_Clark
Thanks for the compliments.
No, I'm not running a catch can. This is going to be dumb, and I know I can probably find it somewhere here, but what exactly does a catch can do?
it intercepts that one pcv hose that goes from the crank to air intake tube. u can get a husky air water seperator for about 15 bux. just tap it in and walla, i cant post a pic of it cuz i cant upload pics, long story. every time i change my oil i always find 2-4 ounces of oil up in there.... so thats oil that never got ingested... bwoody makes a sexy catchcan.... i recommend the red one cuz its hawt

Redline485 on 07-23-2007, 10:40 AM
i wish i seen this earlier and could have tried the cleaning but my throttle body was getting shorted out and had to get a new one

RL_Clark on 07-23-2007, 02:36 PM
And I am officially a dumbass. I got a call today on my car (which has been in the shop since Thursday), and they found where my coolant is going. In cleaning the throttle body, MAKE SURE not to lose the vacuum hose that connects to the throttle body!!!. In the 10 minutes my TB was off the car, the vacuum hose apparently fell below some stuff, and I could not find it anywhere. ANYWHERE!! Anyhow, the only hose that is close by and not connected to anything is the coolant overflow. Make sure not to connect that to the throttle body (I sound really dumb right now, but in my own defense, the hose is the same size as the fitting, and is the perfect length). I was looking for the vacuum hose, and couldn't find it. I didn't think there was anyway that the coolant overflow hose would connect there, but I have seen things more odd than that. Well, it even took the dealership three days to figure it out.

HondaHater on 10-26-2007, 04:47 PM
I just did this to my car today.....damn what a difference!!! it's like i gained 20hp...lol. my throttle response is wayyyyyy higher now!!! car runs great!! awesome write up!! thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Tutorial Tools

Similar Tutorials
Tutorial Tutorial Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: SS S/C Throttle Body fstcavy Buy/Sell Parts 5 07-18-2007 06:10 AM
Throttle Body HELP!!!! Ron9919 Problems & Troubleshooting 22 07-09-2007 03:34 PM
FS, OE '04 RL Throttle body alredline04 Buy/Sell Parts 0 05-09-2007 10:30 AM
I Need A Throttle Body! BlkCSS Problems & Troubleshooting 14 04-09-2007 03:00 PM
SMS Throttle Body Hyperion Performance Modifications 10 07-25-2005 02:15 PM