Polishing 101 (How-To) - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Polishing 101 (How-To) Polishing 101 (How-To)
BlilBT
08-04-2007

Ok I have had Plenty of People ask how to do this, So here you go! Not all tools are needed but Highly Recomended! To get a good result You must prep it good (ie: sanding), Because when you Polish it any Blemish's will show!
Now for the Tools needed,
1 Baldor Buffer or compatiable 8 inch or Bigger wheels (seen in Pic #1)
1 Sewn Cloth wheel & 1 Loose Cloth wheel for either the Buffer or Drill set (seen in Pic #1)
If you dont have a Buffer then Use a Drill with 1800 rpm to 2800 rpm with 4 inch wheels (seen in Pic #1)
1lb bar of White rouqe & 1lb bar of Tipoli (seen in Pic #1)
1 Dremel & attachments (seen in Pic #2)
1 set of 1 inch to 2 1/2 inch Sewn cloth wheels!(seen in Pic #2
1 Drill
1 Bottle of Metal Polish (liquid) (seen in Pic#3) No Paste it will dull the Finish!
Wet Sand paper 220 grit thru 1500 Grit
These supplies can be had at eastwood.com, Sears & sometimes Home Depot!
Pic #1

Pic #2

Pic #3

Ok Now time to start Polishing!
1st step is the Longest, I try to use a sanding Block where ever I can, makes for a Flat Surface Start by sanding your Piece with 220 grit, Then 400, Then 600, Then 800, Then 1000, then 1500 grit! Make sure to remove the scratches from the Prior grit Before you Move up to the Next 1!
If you Dont when you polish it, They will show!
Valve covers are Soft Metal so they require Up to 1500 grit, Motor Mounts & supercharger's only have to be sanded to 1000 grit!

Before:

Now after sanding all the areas that you want to Smooth Its Time to Buff it up!
1st you Need your Sewn Cloth wheel & Tipoli, apply the Tipoli to the wheel & Start to Shine it up!
The tipoli will make it look blackish Mainly when Polishing the stock rough Finish, This you work in till it shines, If you have a Problem getting it all off, Wash it off with Aluminum Cleaner! Then repeat step till shine is Uniform! remember to clean your wheel wiith a Screw Driver, With drill running rub the screw driver acrossed it! This gets off the Build up on the wheel!
(Your Piece will Now have a Dull Shine) See picture Below!

Now it's Time for the Polishing,
1st Makes sure all The tipoli is remove from the surface. Now take the Loose Cloth wheel & apply the white Rouge to it, Apply to surface Till it is worked in & Repeat! Remember to never use the tipoli wheel for this step!
It should be shinny Now, The last thing I do is apply some Metal Polish to another Loose Cloth wheel & Repolish the whole thing. This gets out all the left over Compounds & leaves a Nice Luster! (See Pic below) this is also the easiest way to maintain it!

Here is The cam Cover! The front face is Stock finish Polished & the tops were sanded Like stated above!

Here is the Motor Mount Sanded!

Here it is Buffed & Polished!

Here is a couple of the Reservoir!
Before:

After:

Mounted:

Remember DO NOT USE Paste Polish only Liquid! (GOOD LUCK)

I do Suggest that you Practice on an old Manifold or something!
Tutorial Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

IMkenNY on 08-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Do you recommend clear coating with a high temperature clear paint to increase durability or does it take away from the polish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
redfire on 08-04-2007, 10:02 PM
good wirte up your stuff nicer than mine. i used mothers aluminun polish and did it by hand. it came a little duller than yours but still looks okay. i also removed the extra metal around the lip. looks cleaner

BlilBT on 08-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMkenNY
Do you recommend clear coating with a high temperature clear paint to increase durability or does it take away from the polish?

You can, I put clearcoat on my calipers HT Micro clear 182 because they would rust without it! The other parts I did not clear coat, just because if something happens to the finish you have to strip the clearcoat! Plus mine is Not a dailey driver & Very rarely see's any rain!
BlilBT on 08-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire
good wirte up your stuff nicer than mine. i used mothers aluminun polish and did it by hand. it came a little duller than yours but still looks okay. i also removed the extra metal around the lip. looks cleaner
Ty & I have had alot of practice over the last year! All you need is a loose cloth & Sewn cloth wheel on a drill, Then yours will shine to!
yeahididit2 on 08-05-2007, 05:15 PM
and some claybar billbt you would love my setup...lol check into continental abrasives s.p.w. they are awsome you wont need to sand anything just a 4" grinder and those pads and a buffer with claybar.

my buffer is a 220 motor belt driven i fabed up. those bench grinders dont have the powa i need...lol problem withmine is if you dont have a tight hold on the part its bound to rip out of your hands. you guys need to look into stuff called heavymetal they make 3 different grades corse,medium,fine it works better than any stuff i have used.

i have a source for the wheels if you need it bill the claybar/bricks are 5 buck i think red,white,green dont ever mix the colors on the wheels it will mess up the wheel. i found out the hard way
BlilBT on 08-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahididit2
and some claybar billbt you would love my setup...lol check into continental abrasives s.p.w. they are awsome you wont need to sand anything just a 4" grinder and those pads and a buffer with claybar.

my buffer is a 220 motor belt driven i fabed up. those bench grinders dont have the powa i need...lol problem withmine is if you dont have a tight hold on the part its bound to rip out of your hands. you guys need to look into stuff called heavymetal they make 3 different grades corse,medium,fine it works better than any stuff i have used.

i have a source for the wheels if you need it bill the claybar/bricks are 5 buck i think red,white,green dont ever mix the colors on the wheels it will mess up the wheel. i found out the hard way

Ty Man I will hit you up when I need some more, This is the way I started & Figured it would be the easiest for people to do! I am by no means a expert & Tought myself how to polish last year & this is the way I did it so I figured it would be the easiest for people to learn! But yea i have moved up to sanding paste since this was written on the shortbus! Thanks for the insight, Thats how you learn the short cuts!
yeahididit2 on 08-05-2007, 07:46 PM
it is good for starters. the continetal abrasives are a sos pad for the grinder makes fast work of the first cut from sandcasting a mouse sander works also try the green rouge when doing aluminum and press hard the red is a heavy cut the white is for stainless you do good work i will say and showing people how to is awsome. just one thing you forgot to say. "your hands will be black and your snot will be too" lol
BlilBT on 08-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahididit2
it is good for starters. the continetal abrasives are a sos pad for the grinder makes fast work of the first cut from sandcasting a mouse sander works also try the green rouge when doing aluminum and press hard the red is a heavy cut the white is for stainless you do good work i will say and showing people how to is awsome. just one thing you forgot to say. "your hands will be black and your snot will be too" lol

This is true, make sure to have a soap bucket around to wash hands often, My wife got me a Barber's apron to wear so my clothes dont get trash & some how they still do ! LOL I protect my chest & End up wiping my face on the sleeves She gets so Pissed!
yeahididit2 on 08-05-2007, 09:44 PM
i would recomend a painters outfit they are thin and very cheap and go over clothes nicely. dont worry i do the same thing you are not alone! lol look for stuff called tough scrub part number ts6400...lol i buy it all the time for the shop it is by far the best hand cleaner you can buy leaves hands soft i get it from sixrobblees but im sure can be found other places it takes paint off your hands and leaves them soft works to clean the shop bathroom dont scratch the mirror even.

you even get shocked when you are polishing? mine does maybe i push to hard causing static because my arm hair goes up...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in