Oil Change (With Pictures) - Page 2 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 62 Old 11-09-2007, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
AdamJH225
Lurking Diplomat

Arrow Oil Change (With Pictures)

What you will need:

1 1/4" socket (1/2" drive)
6-10" socket extension (at least 6", but a 10" makes it a LOT easier)
15mm socket
10mm socket
Oil pan
Ramps or Jack Stands
6-7 quarts Mobil 1 Full-Synthetic 5W-30 oil (or your preferred brand)
Oil Filter is Your Choice. Here are the various pa

Last edited by AdamJH225; 04-15-2008 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Additional information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AdamJH225 on 11-12-2007, 07:35 AM
Arrow

A lot of people have told me the same thing. I know you typically get a lot longer from synthetic oil than 3k, but you also have to take into account your driving conditions (mine is 100% city driving and I'm VERY hard on the engine) and how long your FILTER will be lasting. If you look at the pics of my filter (which was just at 3k), it is dirty enough to warrant a change, and if you're going to change the filter, you might as well change the oil at the same time.

Long story short: just like the brand of filter, do what you feel. You can't, however, go wrong by changing it every 3k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
snobrdrdan on 11-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman6
3k oil changes is a waste IMO, you can get a lot more out of the Mobil 1 than 3k. My oil meter didnt go off til 8k, but I usually only go about 5k.

x2

3,000 miles is a little early & (especially) with synthetic it's a waste of your own money, since it's not cheap

Every 5,000 miles is a good point to change the oil IMO

But if you go by the oil life meter in the car....you'll probably get 8,000 miles out of the oil

Just preference I guess

Mattman6 on 11-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan
x2

3,000 miles is a little early & (especially) with synthetic it's a waste of your own money, since it's not cheap

Every 5,000 miles is a good point to change the oil IMO

But if you go by the oil life meter in the car....you'll probably get 8,000 miles out of the oil

Just preference I guess
fo sho, 8k is where my oil life meter came on. It said change oil now lol, i turned it off and it keep coming on til i went and changed it. So 3k is def. a waste
rohmanje on 11-17-2007, 11:49 PM
I do about 50% city/50% highway and my light kicks on around 5500 miles. The manual suggests to change when the light kicks on or 1 year, whichever comes first ( 1 year is probably excessive), I try to change mine around 5k though.
ESV0720 on 11-18-2007, 07:19 PM
excellent write up. I just did the oil change today and it took me about 30 minutes to do. The hardest part for me was getting the oil filter out. The filter and cap were just a pain in the ass to wiggle out. I had to take the cap off, then wiggle the filter out, then take the top out. it just sucked.

any suggestions to make it easier?
snobrdrdan on 11-19-2007, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohmanje
I do about 50% city/50% highway and my light kicks on around 5500 miles. The manual suggests to change when the light kicks on or 1 year, whichever comes first ( 1 year is probably excessive), I try to change mine around 5k though.
But who drives only 5K in one year though??? lol
snobrdrdan on 11-19-2007, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESV0720
excellent write up. I just did the oil change today and it took me about 30 minutes to do. The hardest part for me was getting the oil filter out. The filter and cap were just a pain in the ass to wiggle out. I had to take the cap off, then wiggle the filter out, then take the top out. it just sucked.

any suggestions to make it easier?
Just gotta wiggle it out (we all do it)....it's not that hard

But if you REALLY wanna make it easier to take out, you'd have to make more work for yourself and take the blower off, which is an extra 5 minutes of work

(as opposed to 10 seconds to wiggle the oil filter out--after you've done it once, it gets easier!)
AdamJH225 on 11-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Arrow

The first time my buddy and I tried changing this oil, it took a few hours (I'll admit it took a while just to find the filter). The second time it only took about 30 minutes, and that included plenty of lazy, beer-drinking and cigar-smoking time. Each time it gets a little easier and becomes less of a "project." Now we're looking for other projects to do. So all it takes is practice, it gets easier as you go along.
Jayson26 on 11-24-2007, 07:04 AM
I bought my 07 red Line on April 28th 2007 and just did my 1st oil change at 10028.2 Kms! @ 10400 I put on my 205 50 16 Toyo Observe Garit KX's and they totally kick ass!
KBJ on 01-18-2008, 02:24 PM
I just wanna give props on this "How to"...I'm mechanically retarded and I changed my oil with ease. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in