Fuel Filter Change (With Pictures) - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Fuel Filter Change (With Pictures) Fuel Filter Change (With Pictures)
snobrdrdan
11-15-2007

How to change the LSJ Fuel Filter

Parts Needed:

- New Fuel Filter (AC Delco Part Number GF824)

- 3/8" Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Tool

- 10mm socket & Ratchet
- A drain pan of some sort
- Safety Glasses

NOTE: A little bit of gas will get on you! It won't spray (after you depressurize the fuel system), but it'll trickle out from the filter & the gas lines. It's important to wear safety glasses (who wants gas in their eyes?) & also try and catch the gas in a drain pan of some sort. If you want....wear some rubber gloves if you don't wanna smell like gas all day.

1. First off, if you don't know where the fuel filter is....it's the small round canister under the rear suspension of the car towards the passenger rear wheel:

2. To release the fuel pressure, remove the kick panel & gain access to the fuse box.

3. Remove the Fuel Pump fuse

4. Start the car & let it run until it dies.

5. Undo the gas cap

6. Jack up the passenger side of the car to gain access under the rear of the passenger side & support it with a jack stand.

7. Locate the fuel filter

8. Undo the 10mm bolt holding the fuel filter bracket

9. There are two Quick Disconnect plugs on one end of the fuel filter....one is light blue & one is dark blue. Unlpug them both by squeezing (with your fingers) the colored sides & pulling off of the fuel filter & then aim them down towards the ground to drain into the drain pan you have.

10. Take the 3/8" Fuel Line quick disconnect tool & slide it onto the fuel line on the other side of the fuel filter

11. Then insert it towards the filter to break the prongs free that are holding the filter onto the fuel line

12. Give a nice, aggressive pull on the fuel filter for it to come freely off of the fuel line.....(it takes a good amount of force). Then remove the quick disconnect tool after the filter is off.

13. Take your new fuel filter & slide it onto the fuel line....it'll snap/click when it's all the way on

14. Attach the two light blue/dark blue quick connect lines onto the fuel filter....they slide & snap right on! They are different sizes (shown below), so you can't screw them up. But in case you forgot, the dark blue goes towards the body of the car & the light blue goes towards the ground.

15. Attach the 10mm bolt back into the frame that holds the fuel filter in

16. You're all done with the fuel filter install

17. Put the Fuel Pump fuse back in the fuse box & put the cover back on.

18. Let the fuel pump prime itself & start the car & it'll be good to go!!!

The reason why you should change your fuel filter (this is after 15 months & 19,300 miles):
Tutorial Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Skythe on 11-15-2007, 09:28 AM
What is the cost for fuel filter and accessories? Is there any specific brand of fuel filter that is preferred than the stock one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
NoRemorse on 11-15-2007, 09:37 AM
GREAT write up. I'm going to change mine this weekend... I have coming up on 40k miles on it... I suck

the onion on 11-15-2007, 10:05 AM
i've got 50k on my stock one...maybe thats something Ill do at work on sunday...
Mattman6 on 11-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Great write, also how much all this cost? Fuel filter and the tool to remove the thing
snobrdrdan on 11-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skythe
What is the cost for fuel filter and accessories? Is there any specific brand of fuel filter that is preferred than the stock one?
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman6
Great write, also how much all this cost? Fuel filter and the tool to remove the thing

My new fuel filter was $10 on ebay...I got lucky & that's what motivated me to change it ($16 SHIPPED)....one time deal

BUT the AC Delco (GF824) fuel filter is $34.99 from Crateenginedepot.com:
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P1675C193.aspx

My local auto parts store (Murray's) didn't stock it & wanted $44.99 and said they could have it the next day....so it's kind of pricey actually.

The little tools are $5-10 at ANY major auto parts store (but I already had them)....if you tell them you need the 3/8" fuel line tool....they'll know what you're talking about!

And that's all you need to change it

As for brand...I would stick with the AC Delco as I think that might be the only one available (according to Murray's Auto).
Fram (which I personally hate & wouldn't recommend) doesn't even offer one for our car and they usually have everything...so AC Delco FTW
ESV0720 on 11-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan
....if you tell them you need the 3/8" fuel line tool....they'll know what you're talking about!
Yeah except the employees at the advance auto by my house (only auto shop by me) are idiots. Half of them don't speak English and cater more towards the ricer community. It took me 10 minutes to get one guy to help me find a bottle of octane booster (the highlighter orange bottle, stp i think) because they can't keep anything in order! [/END RANT]
snobrdrdan on 11-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Well fine then.....MOST auto stores should know what you're talking about

If not....just look in the tools section & you'll find them (eventually...lol)
IonNinja on 11-28-2007, 08:57 AM
I was always wondering where the fuel filter was, cool I'll have to jump on this project some day.
Mattman6 on 11-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESV0720
Yeah except the employees at the advance auto by my house (only auto shop by me) are idiots. Half of them don't speak English and cater more towards the ricer community. It took me 10 minutes to get one guy to help me find a bottle of octane booster (the highlighter orange bottle, stp i think) because they can't keep anything in order! [/END RANT]
its funny how you said they cater to the ricers, and you yourself was buying octane boost lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in