Aux input for 2004 factory radio...YES it works - Page 6 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 56 Old 09-05-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
sjmilacci

Aux input for 2004 factory radio...YES it works

OK. For all of my fellow '04 owners, you know just how much it sucks to not have an aux input on your factory radio. After a ton of searching and some figuring of my own, here it is, an aux input for your factory radio. Best of all it only cost me 3 bucks. Note, you must have the 6 disc with xm on i

Last edited by sjmilacci; 09-05-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

djailer on 09-04-2017, 09:02 PM
mod not working - no sound

I cannot get this to work. I know this is old but someone has to resurrect it

I have an 04, 6 cd player and have a current Sirius subscription. I found the brown/white and green/white wires, scraped 'em off and wired up to the aux plug. The two bottom connections go to the two wires and the side one to ground - same frame the radio is mounted to. I haven't soldered anything for about 45 years but the wires all seem solid on the aux port connections. Could I have gotten the tabs too hot when I soldered the wires to them? It is only a cheap RS aux port - bought it right before they went out of business!

XM radio tuned to channel 0, phone is playing music right up until I plug the cable in. Nuthin'. The cable is brand new out of the package. What are the first steps to troubleshoot this? I have one more aux port ... maybe new wires and just connect them up to see if anything different happens? Other ideas??

Thanks!

Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
REDLINE1313 on 09-04-2017, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djailer View Post
I cannot get this to work. I know this is old but someone has to resurrect it

I have an 04, 6 cd player and have a current Sirius subscription. I found the brown/white and green/white wires, scraped 'em off and wired up to the aux plug. The two bottom connections go to the two wires and the side one to ground - same frame the radio is mounted to. I haven't soldered anything for about 45 years but the wires all seem solid on the aux port connections. Could I have gotten the tabs too hot when I soldered the wires to them? It is only a cheap RS aux port - bought it right before they went out of business!

XM radio tuned to channel 0, phone is playing music right up until I plug the cable in. Nuthin'. The cable is brand new out of the package. What are the first steps to troubleshoot this? I have one more aux port ... maybe new wires and just connect them up to see if anything different happens? Other ideas??

Thanks!

Doug

What tabs are you talking about. All ya had to do from what I can see is melt the casing off the wire and solder the aux wires to the open spots.

djailer on 09-05-2017, 09:00 AM
The tabs are on the bottom of the aux input. One for each wire going to the radio. You can see it here:

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...io-jack-2-pack

I am not sure how to test it - will those have continuity between each other or from the ground tab - on the side? It was a two-pack so I guess I can try the other one and just not solder anything until I see what happens. I am pretty sure I got the wires connected on the radio side. I wrapped it around the bare spots and taped 'em both up. I can get back in there easy enough and play with them a little I suppose.

This hack seemed pretty simple but apparently so am I
My cheap 6 mo Sirius plan expires this month and I have no interest in continuing. The signal is spotty and even $30 for 6 months is pricey considering there are only three channels I ever listen to.
REDLINE1313 on 09-06-2017, 05:32 PM
Quote:
The tabs are on the bottom of the aux input. One for each wire going to the radio. You can see it here:

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...io-jack-2-pack

I am not sure how to test it - will those have continuity between each other or from the ground tab - on the side? It was a two-pack so I guess I can try the other one and just not solder anything until I see what happens. I am pretty sure I got the wires connected on the radio side. I wrapped it around the bare spots and taped 'em both up. I can get back in there easy enough and play with them a little I suppose.

This hack seemed pretty simple but apparently so am I
My cheap 6 mo Sirius plan expires this month and I have no interest in continuing. The signal is spotty and even $30 for 6 months is pricey considering there are only three channels I ever listen to.
Should have continuity yes, trick is hitting the correct tab down in the plug. You could test it with a small speaker hook the wires to a speaker black ground one of the others positive and run a powered signal in like your phone threw headphone jack to see if it is flowing. If you think it could be the plug you can do like I did and get a Bluetooth receiver and wire that in instead.
djailer on 11-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Fixed...

OK, problem solved. Apparently the frame I thought was ground was not. I just grounded it to the braided radio ground and sound happens now! Little bit of whine in it but that is supposedly something not grounded? HUH - go figure the radio ground is not ground?? Anyway it works pretty well. My only complaint now is the volume - it won't go anywhere the level Pantera should be played at. And some songs are noticeably softer - Judas Priest 'Victim of Changes' is really low. Could it just be IHeartRadio or maybe my android just doesn't push enough through? When I play regular radio I get plenty of volume. Unfortunately I get plenty of yakking, commercials, etc.

Last edited by djailer; 11-02-2017 at 08:00 PM..
REDLINE1313 on 11-02-2017, 10:32 PM
Quote:
OK, problem solved. Apparently the frame I thought was ground was not. I just grounded it to the braided radio ground and sound happens now! Little bit of whine in it but that is supposedly something not grounded? HUH - go figure the radio ground is not ground?? Anyway it works pretty well. My only complaint now is the volume - it won't go anywhere the level Pantera should be played at. And some songs are noticeably softer - Judas Priest 'Victim of Changes' is really low. Could it just be IHeartRadio or maybe my android just doesn't push enough through? When I play regular radio I get plenty of volume. Unfortunately I get plenty of yakking, commercials, etc.
Turn the volume up on yer phone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in