Aux input for 2004 factory radio...YES it works - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Aux input for 2004 factory radio...YES it works Aux input for 2004 factory radio...YES it works
sjmilacci
09-05-2010

OK. For all of my fellow '04 owners, you know just how much it sucks to not have an aux input on your factory radio. After a ton of searching and some figuring of my own, here it is, an aux input for your factory radio. Best of all it only cost me 3 bucks. Note, you must have the 6 disc with xm on it.

Required Materials:

Panel popper or flathead screwdriver
Phillips head screw driver
7mm socket
Wire cutters/strippers
Small gauge wire (16 or 20 will do)
Aux input port ($2.99 for 2 at Radio Shack/Only thing I had to buy)
Electrical tape

Prep:

1. Cut 3 pieces of wire to equal length (appx. 2-3 feet) and strip both ends of all 3 wires.

2. Attach all 3 wires to aux port and tape it up. Note, the 2 on the bottom are Left and Right sound and the 1 coming out the side is Ground. It also helps to mark so you know which is which. Mostly so you don't get the ground mixed up with the other two.

Installation:

1. Use flat screwdriver or panel popper to remove radio bezel.

2. Use 7mm socket to remove both retaining bolts for radio.

3. Unclip the smaller wire harness from back. It should have 4 wires. They are Green, Green & White, Brown & White, Black & White. The audio inputs are the Green & White and the Brown & White.

4. Splice the audio inputs from your aux port into the Green & White and the Brown & White. Easiest way is to use the wire strippers to separate the coating in the middle of the wires but don't cut them. Then take your screwdriver and separate some of the exposed copper and feed your new wires in there. After this is done, wrap it up with electrical tape. Now you can plug the harness back into the radio.

5 Ground your aux port by using the ground wire and taping it to the ground coming out of the back of the radio. It is an exposed braided wire that attaches to a prong sticking out.

6. Everything is now wired, I gave it a test before putting everything back in. Turn on the radio and press aux until you are on XM. If you have a subscription put it on channel 0, if not, don't worry about it. You should now have a working aux input.

7. Install your input wherever you please. I did mine on the dummy switch by the hazard lights. When I did this in my wife's old CX-7 I put it in the glove box. It's really up to you.

8. Close everything up and enjoy.

Tutorial Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

RedlineNoob on 09-05-2010, 03:20 PM
My radio looks just like that but never seen anything about xm with it.. I have the 6 disk mp3 AAS radio that looks identical to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
sjmilacci on 09-05-2010, 03:38 PM
If you press the aux button once it goes to cd, two and three times are xm 1 and xm 2

Redline2point0 on 09-06-2010, 12:13 AM
nice! im defentaly going to do this.. to bad i gotta buy another ipod mine was stolen
sjmilacci on 09-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Sucks man. I just sold my ipod touch two days ago because I got the droid 2. I woulda given you a deal. I too know what it's like to have an ipod jacked. I am in the military and last time we moved the freaking low life movers stole mine.
04_IRL on 09-06-2010, 11:41 PM
awesome, i would love to keep it a stock looking as possible, was going to buy that stupid kit from radioshack, but this is better and looks easy, awesome, doing this asap!!!
TampaSky on 09-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Very nice. It's awesome when you step out of the normal kits on the market and do some of your own work. I do stuff like this all the time on my cars and friends' cars. Very ingenius though. I've never had to actually hardwire in a AUX jack. Props!
slipknot2157 on 09-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Do you happen to have the part number for the aux input port from RadioShack?
K-Train04RL on 09-07-2010, 10:58 AM
goto radioshack, and say u need a aux jack. make sure its stereo, so a left and right hookup. and a ground. everything should work and be pretty standard. thanks for bumping this post though dude, gave me a little project for the day :P
K-Train04RL on 09-07-2010, 11:00 AM
shit post aint even old. thanks for doin this bud. my ipod fm transmitter sounds like SHIT because the connetions are garbage. I was going to hardwire it in toda, but i guess ill just grab a aux port.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in